Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Missing orange cover on marker light; Water leakage concerns

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there!

Please help me figure out with these two questions:

1) When I purchased my trailer (viking saga 16sfb 2017), the orange cover on the marker light near the roof was missing (attached photo). I unscrewed the marker light to try and figure out how to replace it, but I couldn't figure it out on my own. It seems there's a connector to which it should be attached, is that correct? I wasn't able to disconnect it, even with a lot of effort. I haven't been able to find an orange cover with the same dimensions at Home Depot or similar stores. How would you recommend solving the problem of the missing orange cover?

2) After unscrewing the marker light completely, I noticed there's a hole underneath it for the wires (which makes sense). However, I'm now worried about potential water leakage due to the rubber gasket between the marker light and the trailer's body not fitting tightly, and the missing orange cover exacerbates the issue. I screwed the marker light back on as tightly as possible, but the screws don't seem to hold very securely, and I still feel like water might potentially get in. Should I seal them with some kind of sealant at the top part?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

https://postimg.cc/87WX1DND
https://postimg.cc/svb0d1Fw
https://postimg.cc/qzNZ5yFN

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Nj0hXrdq/photo-2023-04-09-03-24-11-2.jpg" width=800>

Mod Edit: Added url width statement to avoid forum being skewed by the photo side.
15 REPLIES 15

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looks a lot like the ones on my 2005. Mine is marked Bargman 59. The number is molded in on the outside. I think per DOT the number has to be on the lens.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I just went through this exact thing on my trailer. Take a wet towel can clean the dirt out if the light base. I can see a number embossed in the attached picture but I can't quite make it out. If there is a manufacturer name try searching for that too.
But take that number and type it into Amazon and see if it gets any hits. Also try a google search of the number + marker light and see if you get any hits.

Mine was from 2005 so it probably wouldn't work for you but here it is just in case.
Amazon
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Grote makes a great line of marker lights, including LED's .

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Google "Bargman marker lights" They won't be an exact replacement but between the hundreds of options available, I'm sure you'll find something acceptable which has better quality than what you currently have. Just buy the entire fixture (with the bulb holder/wiring) rather a replacement lens.

Check your other marker lights for cracks/water leakage. You may want to replace those too.

Chum lee

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
You're Canadian. Learn about this retailer.

Princess Auto. Pick them up for a few dollars. Regular or LED
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

greenno
Explorer
Explorer
Brother go to e-trailer.com or Amazon and type in "Plastic side marker lights" you'll get a bunch of hits

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You might have some old outdated lights that donโ€™t have replacement parts available.
I have a trailer (2006 model) that has odd ball side marker lights.
In your case, if you canโ€™t find a replacement lens, get a new light.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of these running lights are extremely cheap made in China fixtures. You might get lucky and find a replacement lens or just buy a new fixture and use the lens on the older unit if it fits.

Personally I would just replace the whole fixture. Yours seems to have a tungsten bulb that will eventually need to be replaced. The newer ones are LED and should last indefinitely. You can buy a replacement for roughly $3-7. And yes be sure to seal with new unit and do not rely on the rubber gasket.

neu
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
Instead of silicone, I would use butyl tape which is available at any good RV shop.

Awesome idea, thanks!

neu
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Previous poster suggested to use a small bead of silicone around the fixture base where it meets the exterior of rig.
I would use a bit more on the opening of the exterior of rig. They made a larger hole then most rigs have. Did you look for numbers on one of the other amber lenses?
Lense looks like a Peterson or Bargman.

Thanks!
Unfortunately no numbers at all. I checked again today. Nothing.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instead of silicone, I would use butyl tape which is available at any good RV shop.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Previous poster suggested to use a small bead of silicone around the fixture base where it meets the exterior of rig.
I would use a bit more on the opening of the exterior of rig. They made a larger hole then most rigs have. Did you look for numbers on one of the other amber lenses?
Lense looks like a Peterson or Bargman.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

neu
Explorer
Explorer
craig7h wrote:
That looks like a normal marker light. I would look at an auto parts store or one that is rv related. I know when I was in Canada and needed a light for my tow dolly I came across I believe they are call Canada Tire. That store had everything.

As for making a leak proof seal. A small bead of silicone or even plumbers putty would take care of it.

Thanks! I didn't find anything same shape in the Canadian Tire, but anyway thanks for the idea

What do you mean when you say to lubricate with silicone? Do you mean to lubricate the rubber that is located between the marker light and the body? Does this prevent water from getting in?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you look at the amber lens closely, you will see information as manufacturer and parts number. That is if you ant to get exact replacement.
Otherwise get one from any local stores like Walmart, O'Reilly's or AutoZone.
OOPs in north country! any auto parts store.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker