cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for how to handle AC Condensation

jakehenak
Explorer
Explorer
New RV'r here, we have some water leaking from our AC into our cabin in our older Class C RV. This started a week or two back and seems to coincide with the use of Levelers. Prior to the levelers, the condensation would run off the side of the RV from the roof, but now that we've leveled the vehicle, it just pools up on top creating a puddle around the AC unit. I fear that the puddle which existed there for a few days has saturated the gasket on the roof and is causing it to let water seep in which is then slowly dripping through the AC cabin filters.

What do most of you do to ensure that your AC unit condensation drains effectively?

Should I have my RV AC gasket replaced or do I need to simply correct the draining issue and let things dry out?

Are there any hacks to prevent condensation from building up around the unit?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Raise the front or back up a little bit so the condensate runs off the roof

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The AC gasket does NOT soak or even can soak up water . It is designed to have water lapping on the outside.
2. You don't state age of RV but after 3 to 4 years or more the AC gasket needs to be replaced, they DO compress over time
3. I NEVER ADVISE TO TIGHTEN AC UNITS WHEN THEY LEAK. The problem is, usually the gasket has compressed over time and when you tighten the bolts, it pulls the ac drain pan drain holes down to the top roof top. This blocks the flow of water onto the roof and causes the interior drain pan to fill up and overflow inside.
4. Your puddle is not a great concern unless it is deeper than 1/4 inch. usually this depression is caused by the roof support around the AC has deterioated over time and causes a depression. This is also usually visible INSIDE the RV when you stand back and look at the ceiling and see the roof ac mount is lower than the rest of the ceiling. A cheap fix for this type problem is to install 2 AC gaskets to not allow the top roof depression to overflow the single gasket. Some RV's depending on the floor plan ,you can actually install a counter top wood support from the counter top to the ceiling(close to the AC controls) to help stop the roof top depression and push the ceiling up a 1/2 inch or so. Doug

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
The puddle you describe on the roof around your A/C unit is troubling. There should not be a puddle on the roof.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you cleaned the drain holes in the condensation pan recently? They can fill with gunk and then the pan overflows...into the RV.

If it leaks when raining with the air/con off, then it is more likely the gasket.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
May be as simple as tightening the mounting bolts.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73