MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Don't need or want voltage display
  • Don't need or want Peukert conversion
  • Nor selectable menu options
  • Want LCD or LED meter that displays ampere hours transactions
  • Reset to zero with a push of a button

My abysmal internet connection thwarts comprehensive searching.

But maybe a meter like this does not exist

I'd hate to waste 500 hours confirming it.

Thank You In Advance
19 REPLIES 19

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Xantrex has a stand alone meter that can be reset as well but it's an order of magnitude more $$ than anything on Fleabay

I have several Arduino-clone devices logging current on branch circuits but my main 12v bus and 500 amp shunt are monitored by the Magnum. One of these days I'll hack into it's network connection and grab the data I need.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Trimetric would do the job as described, but cost$.

Another thing not mentioned for AH meters is how they handle heat loss when charging a battery. Doesn't matter for discharge AH count.

Trimetric has a default charging efficiency percentage, but that can be adjusted to suit actual results.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
USA uses four 8 mm bolts

Orientals use 33 4mm bolts.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Chibay seems to think the more readouts they can pack into a tiny display, the better
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am measuring single events. Charging,
Volts, watts, PSI, and other values hopelessly clutter the screen.
Don't want to spend a half hour programming the meter each time for single use - peukert - total amp hours - etc/
Don't want to be forced to use reading glasses to see amperage transacted.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Read this...

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3368&start=50
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
The trouble you'll have is finding a resettable one... Why resettable? A hall effect unit will just measure in/out..

Are you just trying to count out after a 100% SOC?

Just trying to figure what your doing so we can help you better.

Resetting would be a mute point no? It would be zero when nothing is moving through it...

Are you looking for one that accumulates?
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:

I had bought one such similar product which came with 8awg Leads instead of 12, but found it, when including time for the KWH or Ah figures, to be wildly inaccurate, despite its readng on volts or amps to be closely inline with other meters/

This is the problem I have with my cheap ebay Ah meter.

Dunno if it's the poor quality shunt, timer, electronics, temperature fluctuations, peukert effect or what.

It is possible to "calibrate" the amps but have tried several times with no improvement in Ah.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the 130/ 150 amp wattmeters inline, on much of my loads and charging sources for a few years now. I have 45 amp anderson powerpoles on most every load or source in my rig, so I can put one of these wattemters inline and see WH, AH. Amp peak, watt peak, minimum voltage.

I have modified their 12AWg leads tp circuit board with 8awg leads so they can handle 40 amps continuous with minimal voltage drop.

I had bought one such similar product which came with 8awg Leads instead of 12, but found it, when including time for the KWH or Ah figures, to be wildly inaccurate, despite its readng on volts or amps to be closely inline with other meters/

More recently I say hat appeared to be another version, in a different casing with 8AWG leads, but when I pulled up my bookmark Amazon says it is not available and no idea whether it will be again.

https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Precision-Analyzer-Measuring-Voltage/dp/B078LVT29K/ref=pd_sbs_469_2?_enc...

Other than the one Windynation version, I've found these wattmeters to be both fairly accurate and precise an dan incredible tool to see what my Meanwell powersupply is supplying and has supplied.

I did fry one of the meters when soldering 8wg leds to where the 12AWG leads once resided, but that was 2.5 plus years ago and I have gotten a lot better at soldering since, and much of this is about the heat reservior, and good contact between the soldering gun contacts and the mating surfaces under the hex allen bolts.

I am interested in testing this meter wuth the hall effect sneor instead of a shunt::

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimeter-Charge-Discharge-Electricity-Overvoltage/dp/B01MZIAJI0/ref=pd...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Simple AH representation of battery recharges. Don't need clutter on the face. Don't need Peukert or CEF compensation. X number of minutes determined by timer. Constant voltage at saturated voltage level.

And the meters are difficult to root out.

Press a button and meter zeroes out. One direction of current, do not need bi-directional but if only available bi-directionl so be it.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
  • Don't need or want voltage display
  • Don't need or want Peukert conversion
  • Nor selectable menu options
  • Want LCD or LED meter that displays ampere hours transactions
  • Reset to zero with a push of a button

My abysmal internet connection thwarts comprehensive searching.

But maybe a meter like this does not exist

I'd hate to waste 500 hours confirming it.

Thank You In Advance

Why a resst? What are you trying to do?
Mike L ... N.J.

MrWizard
Mex
you want to track amp hrs
and you need more than 150 amp capability
i guess your best option is the 500a above
i put the 200a version in the Safari, so i could read the amps used my the big MW off inverter

but its not a quick one button reset
it counts amps in and out, tracks SOC
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most people want to see volts and amps too. Anything accurate enough would likely have more than just AH.

Here is one (of many). Don't know what button is for reset, you'll figure it out: DROK 100A w/Hall . They have higher and lower amp versions.

Here is another one: It says 500A. Looks like a typical Chibay product, you'll probably find it there for 20 bucks, but I wouldn't comment on 500A claim.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
150 ๐Ÿ˜ž