cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smarty Jr tuner, related

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
On the fence on a tuner, here. We are talking a totally stock 2008, 2500 Ram with a 6.7 Cummins with 80K miles on it. DW and I just retied about 6 months ago, easing into plan to spend most of the summer months traveling.

The tuner I am thinking about is the Smarty Jr, and I would probably run the 40 or 70 hp bump. I have no plan on racing and beating on this truck. But a little more power towing on a long grade might be nice. If I could pick up any mileage gain that would be an added bonus, but have no expectation on that front.

The truck has the 68RFE transmission, and is only used as a tow vehicle. Smarty says the tuner is torque limiting to protect the transmission. I also have in the back of my mind trading up to a new 3500 dually with a higher torque numbers maybe in the next year or 2. So I could be fine with leaving things just as is, the towing experience I have now sure isnโ€™t bad. DW say leave it as is, and just get a new truck (and maybe new 5th wheel) when we are sure we will spend enough time doing this to get our $$$ worth of enjoyed out of it.

I am wondering if some folks on here are running this tuner, what kind of experience they could share. With conservative driving can I expect this thing wonโ€™t cause additional maintenance (EGR and transmission) issues? Also not interested in it, if it causes excessive smoke.

Your kindly comments pro or con would be appreciated.
Bob
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition
11 REPLIES 11

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The tuners work on Diesels very well, or did. I'm not familiar with units with all the emissions hdwe.
We had a 2002 F350 Dualie Diesel with a tuner bought from Dealer. I caan't pull up the nae of the tuner right now.
It had three settings, tow haul, and two performance settings. I left it on the tow setting. It improved power tremendously and mileage. Ran like a race car when empty.
Diesels like fuel compression and timing. They have reduced compression and fuel for emissions. Power is n so they upped size just a bit, which really didn't amount to much.
A Tuner should increase timing and fuel. Timing will help compensate for compression somewhat also.
The more you feed a diesel the greater the output and efficiency or mileage but you can burn the pistons up if too hot. They can swallow all the air you can feed them. They don't have throttle bodies.
I don't remember why they tune to certain levels when the engines can put out more except emissions.
If I can find an 06 back Cumminsin a Dodge or Ford o4 back 7.4 International, in the Ford I'll will buy it. The older Duramax, do good also.
Performance or power and mileage come last in the EPA's plans for emissions.

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
jmckelvy thanks I will go take a look at that unit. I may PM you if I have some questions. I hear you on the grandpa, I am in the same boat. I mainly want a little extra power for pulling hills. I plan some back county western states and a run to Alaska . I think a few extra HPโ€™s used sensibly would be nice.

Wcjeep, I keep thinking if my towing experience was closer to what a new higher powered unit is, I might just hang out in this truck a bit longer. Its paid for and in good shape yet and no high repair bills. Not that I plan to make payment on a new one anyway. But the big deprecation hit is long gone on this one, which is something to consider too.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered EFI Live? I had a Smarty Jr which I sold and installed Anarchy Diesel's EFI live tune. It has 4 power levels of which I use #2 TOW. I like it better than the Smarty. Somewhat smoother and runs cooler, EGT wise, than the Smarty.

I haven't noticed any significant improvement in mpg. I also drive like an old grandfather (which I am ๐Ÿ™‚ ).
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Smarty is a great tuner. However, if the plan is to trade in a year why bother?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins is a pretty savvy company. I wonder why the elected to not use the algorithm that costs $500.00?

Also when the "Hot Setup" lights up over my head, I take a pause and find out what an "aw ----" might cost. That, usually chills my enthusiasm.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would find something else to spend the $500.

You might get more opinions and experienced commends if you click "notify moderator" and ask to move this to Tow Vehicles forum.

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
IT_Burnout wrote:
...DW say leave it as is, and just get a new truck...

Do you wanna trade wives?

Depends on what youโ€™re offering in trade, a younger low maintenance model? ๐Ÿ˜‰ LOL

All kidding aside she doesnโ€™t really care and told me she thinks I shouldnโ€™t do it, but go ahead if that what I want. The $$$ isnโ€™t much of an issue. Although if I put the transmission out and walk around grumbling I will be on the receiving end if of โ€œsuck it up butter cup, I donโ€™t want to hear it, remember I told you to leave it aloneโ€ feedback.

I donโ€™t really want to get into doing the deletes and all of that. Smarty says there box is intended to run on a stock truck, and not setup to run with deletes. If itโ€™s run with deletes you can expect check engine lights. I have called them and talked to them about that very issue.

Regarding expense yes its $500, but if I get another 40K-60K miles out of it and itโ€™s a better driving experience I am ok with that.

I see the point and agree on trade in being of higher value with a stock truck. If I went with one I would just leave the tuner hooked up in the truck when selling or trading it in. More to be right up front with the whole issue then anything else. It would be a plus to be able to say itโ€™s never had any of that done to it.

I was slightly on the fence on this, but was leaning toward not doing it, unless I got a lots of positive feedback here on the subject. That doesnโ€™t look like itโ€™s the case so far, so itโ€™s probably best to just leave things as is. Especially since I donโ€™t have any real issue with the setup as its working now.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smarty Jr is a great tuner ---
No deletes needed just download which tune (40,70,100) and go.

Will smoke a little on 70--100 as turbo spools up but no real 'rolling coal' affect.
EGRs will actually drop under normal conditions

But for short term (upgrading to new truck) not worth $$$ spent on tuner so leave it stock
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
IT_Burnout wrote:
...DW say leave it as is, and just get a new truck...

Listen to your wife.

Do you wanna trade wives?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

98silvz71
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning on trading in a year or two I wouldn't even dream of spending money on modifying your current truck. Most of the time when you trade in a vehicle the dealer wants it in stock form. So all the money you spent would be worthless if you got a new truck. If you are happy as is now and are going to trade up then leave it alone. If you plan on keeping it for 4 or more years, go ahead and tune it to your liking.
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB Duramax - 20K B&W Companion, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks and Stabilizer, BFG A/T KO2
2014 Keystone Fuzion 342 Toyhauler
2008 Arctic Cat 700 Diesel

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
The tuner is basically useless unless you also do the deletes. Turbo back exhaust, EGR delete, EGR cooler delete. Then it would make sense. But only if your willing to take the financial hit when they discover it has had a tuner on it.