cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What would you delete?

ths55
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500, with the Cummins diesel, about a year ago. It was from Canada, so when I titled it in Michigan, I lost the factory warranty. ( Seemed odd to me, but I have made all the calls to the company in Canada and US). I love how it runs (had a Ford 6L before this, enough said) but want to hold onto this for a while so I figure should find out what deletes will give most benefit. Not worried about more power, but a little mpg would be great. The biggest thing is about improving longevity. It has 47K on it now, so it seems to be a good time to do the delete. Thanks for any ideas.
44 REPLIES 44

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
htwheelz67 wrote:
If you dont have a warranty and you are not going to buy one AND you don't have smog checks go for it, dpf, egr, def you can leave the cat or get rid of it too.
Just keep the original stuff if you need it. I know a guy (friend of a friend) we go camping with regularly that has a 2016 2500, fully deleted and registered in AZ, unloaded it gets 22-26 mpg's hwy around 70-80, he pulls a 26 ft toy hauler gets between 10-14. He usually runs a 60hp tune but when he cranks it up to 130hp it flat out hauls azz. It is much louder than it was stock though especially when you are hard on the throttle., it will "roll some coal" but suprisingly not too much smoke when you floor it. I am so impressed I am looking for one myself. Maybe contrary to what others say the emmissions equipment cause the biggest problems with newer trucks. The best thing you can do on any diesel is let it idle and cool the turbo before you shut it off and keep your fuel clean. I don't think you will see 400-500k stock 07+ diesels of any make with emmissions systems intact, 06 and prior yes because they had cats and egr only.

I'm not a "tree hugger" but.....wonderful. Just wonderful.

htwheelz67
Explorer
Explorer
If you dont have a warranty and you are not going to buy one AND you don't have smog checks go for it, dpf, egr, def you can leave the cat or get rid of it too.
Just keep the original stuff if you need it. I know a guy (friend of a friend) we go camping with regularly that has a 2016 2500, fully deleted and registered in AZ, unloaded it gets 22-26 mpg's hwy around 70-80, he pulls a 26 ft toy hauler gets between 10-14. He usually runs a 60hp tune but when he cranks it up to 130hp it flat out hauls azz. It is much louder than it was stock though especially when you are hard on the throttle., it will "roll some coal" but suprisingly not too much smoke when you floor it. I am so impressed I am looking for one myself. Maybe contrary to what others say the emmissions equipment cause the biggest problems with newer trucks. The best thing you can do on any diesel is let it idle and cool the turbo before you shut it off and keep your fuel clean. I don't think you will see 400-500k stock 07+ diesels of any make with emmissions systems intact, 06 and prior yes because they had cats and egr only.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
ths55 wrote:
I bought a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500, with the Cummins diesel, about a year ago. It was from Canada, so when I titled it in Michigan, I lost the factory warranty. ( Seemed odd to me, but I have made all the calls to the company in Canada and US). I love how it runs (had a Ford 6L before this, enough said) but want to hold onto this for a while so I figure should find out what deletes will give most benefit. Not worried about more power, but a little mpg would be great. The biggest thing is about improving longevity. It has 47K on it now, so it seems to be a good time to do the delete. Thanks for any ideas.

The truck. Trade it in on something with gas power ASAP.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Did ya ever eat a cat-a-litek converter? I just deleted mine. ๐Ÿ™‚
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Survival of the fittest. If pet owners would neuter and spay like they should there wouldn't be any feral cats, wild dogs, etc. Or puppies and kittens dumped on the shoulder. Coyotes have to eat too. When was the last time you had beef, chicken, etc? Some would call that disgusting.
To each his own.
Puma 30RKSS

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
bucky wrote:
the best thing for a feral cat problem is a coyote.
That's disgusting.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the lesser known things is this. In two areas deletion of ANYTHING can get you in tribble with ye old laws.

Safety and emissions.

So I'd not recommend deleting anything.

Regarding the warranty: Do no know why re-titling with same owner but in the USA would void. Suggestion is. If you need warranty work, Contact a lawyer for advice. Not sure if you need a Canadian or US lawyer.

Finally.. No I won't ask why you are moving to USA, from Canada, for an RVer it actually makes sense. I'm from Michigan (The only state other than Alaska where you go SOUTH to enter Canada) in fact from Detroit (The very city where you do that) and I know how hard it is to stay "in state" for six months a year. As the weather changes... More and more tempting to spend 7-8-9 months here in the more temperate south and ony head back to MI in June/July/Aug when you can fry an egg on the sidewalk without a campfire.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
C Schomer wrote:
it runs like a turpentined cat!
That's disgusting.

It's just an expression, don't get offended. However, the best thing for a feral cat problem is a coyote.
Puma 30RKSS

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking to delete the emissions equipment for mpg improvement, you'll be disappointed. You be on a treadmill of "upgrades" and spend $2000 or so minimum to save very little fuel. I'd leave it.

Back when the dpf junk first got added (2008) it made more sense to delete as the emissions junk was usually the source of all the problems in the Chevy, Ford, and Ram diesels. It also dropped mpg by a significant margin. But that is 10 years ago.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I need to bulletproof or delete something on a vehicle after the fact, in my eyes that makes a good point for not purchasing it to begin with. My days of altering vehicles are long behind me. In hindsight most if not all the things I did in the past ended up being an additional expense for little if any gain. I wish I had 5% back of all the money I spent in my teens and twenties jacking up trucks, buying oversized tires, swapping out exhausts, and dumping it into motors and transmissions.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
it runs like a turpentined cat!
That's disgusting.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Deleting and bulletproofing are not the same thing. Deleting almost always means disabling or removing emission control devices. Bulletproofing has become synonymous with the Ford 6.0s and refers to improving egr and oil cooler systems to prevent head gasket failures. Sadly every CL and Ebay ad now states that 6.0 Ford diesel trucks for sale have been bulletproofed but gee they don't have any proof of it being done or for the parts if they did it themselves. Or they use the term for GMs and Rams that never needed it in the first place.

Agree with some clarification. I say deleting and bulletproofing are related because a bulletproofing process may or may not include deletes. For instance-while bulletproofing there is a choice to be made between an EGR cooler upgrade and an EGR delete.

Yes Bulletproofing is often a misused term people use liberally, especially when selling. My Bulletproofing also included milled heads, new improved head gaskets, head studs replacing head bolts, and replacing an assortment of smaller stuff that had, or would, weaken.

While deciding on my bulletproofing strategy I had to wrestle with thoughts about polluting. The 6.0 was advertised as a cleaner engine with more power then the 7.3, but I felt that the manufacturer had simply failed to perform when providing components like the EGR system and other components. I had paid for these things but they simply did not pass muster, and the manufacturer did not provide a robust replacement. The problem was dumped in my lap. Yes, they made significant improvements in late 2004 but it wasn't good enough. So I paid more to fix that engine then I paid for that engine option, and I believe I stepped up to the problem as best I could. I believe there are times when the finger should point at the manufacturer rather then the owner. I believe I did my part.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
My 12 Ram has been extremely reliable...and its my thought that only using it for towing has played a big role. I heard that DPF trucks just dont do well as grocery getters and have to regen a lot to keep from clogging the filter. I hope thats the case, as I just love the truck stock and have zero need for more power. Hoping it lasts a lot of years since its such a great truck
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The 14 is different from my 12 cuz of the def so I can't help there. A lot of guys still delete the def trucks and are very happy. My 12 was already deleted/efi tuned and it really cleans up the engine and oil problems. My 12 is smokeless and it runs like a turpentined cat! Is yours a 68rfe? IF, you DO delete... Look into a valve body and accumulator plate and tune for that change, also. It's better than simply tuning a stock trans. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!