cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Oil Pressure

dnichola
Explorer
Explorer

I have a 2017 Ford F-150 towing a Transcend Travel trailer with a GVWR of 6995 lbs. On two occasions, while towing at 60-65 mph on interstates, I have gotten a low oil pressure warning and the oil pressure gauge drops. Prior to the warning, I notice some loss of power (seem to need to accelerate more to maintain speed). On both occasions, we stopped, checked the oil --- it was fine --- and waited about an hour. After an hour, started up the truck and it ran fine the rest of the trip -- another 500 miles or so! Does this sound like a true low oil pressure warning or something else? This has never happened when NOT towing the trailer. Any ideas appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

I'd guess a switch or sending unit.  A precautionary tale; on a different make and model, we recently experienced a similar intermittent oil pressure drop (to zero) without much rhyme or reason.  Turns out the oil pump's gear had been slipping on the shaft connected to the gerotor.  After sufficient heat buildup, it would grab on again. 

As you are only seeing your issue during towing, oil or engine temperature could be a factor.  Definitely best to figure out what your issue(s) is/are quickly before any nasty surprises.  Good luck!

Latner
Nomad
Nomad

3.5 Ecoboost?  Oil Pressure Switch are known to go bad.

He literally provided a detailed description of the trailer he tows (like that matters….) but not the engine in the truck, that he’s asking the question about. 
That said, we can’t diagnose something like that over the internet but can say, I’ve never seen oil pressure go soft “intermittently”.  And the fact that the OP is now a couple trips behind the first time he must be too concerned about his expensive motor either. 
but yeah probably a glitch or switch. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold