cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 millionth Duramax built

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
News from the Dmax plant in Moraine, Ohio where all GM Duramax 6.6L engines have always been made"

"GM Just Built its Two Millionth Duramax Diesel Engine
A group of 755 employees at the DMAX plant in Moraine, Ohio just celebrated the build of the 2 millionth Duramax 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel engine."
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT
17 REPLIES 17

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobsallyh wrote:
You Duramax folks need to give a shout out to Isuzu for the Duramax. It was a co-op project after so many failures of GM's diesel programs for the Light Trucks. At the time when they decided to put diesels in the light trucks they owned Detroit Diesel. But no, we converted a gas 350 to a diesel and there long run of mistakes came to an end when they partnered with Isuzu.

Maybe so, but GM has held on to the Duramax contract and put a very good diesel engine into a very good truck frame and sold a very good product. I personally don't like GM products, but there is no denying the fact that the D/A combo in a GM product is a fine machine.

Strange though that I owned an Isuzu Rodeo with a GM 3.2 liter V6 engine with inadequate oil drain holes throughout the engine. Because of that design flaw, the GM 3.2 engine would burn oil due to carbon buildup (or so it was explained to me). Isuzu makes quality engines used by GM, GM made an engine with a design flaw used by Isuzu...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
You Duramax folks need to give a shout out to Isuzu for the Duramax. It was a co-op project after so many failures of GM's diesel programs for the Light Trucks. At the time when they decided to put diesels in the light trucks they owned Detroit Diesel. But no, we converted a gas 350 to a diesel and there long run of mistakes came to an end when they partnered with Isuzu.

Indeed!!
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good for GM and the Dmax.

GM came a long way from the 5.7 diesel debacle....then the 6.2 and 6.5 low performance diesels.

The 6.6 Dmax has been a winner for GM trucks and truck owners.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations to GM. As much as there has been issues along the way there's no doubt the Duramax has been an overall success and good for keeping the competition on their toes too. :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Redwoodcamper wrote:
They are very strong engines. I love the sound once you remove smog parts. Changing injectors is a nightmare. Also head gaskets. Huge pain. Until then they are great, and most last a long time before failures.

So changing a head gasket is easier on a 6.7 cummins?

Without a doubt. And not necessary unless running a hot tuner. 😉
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Redwoodcamper wrote:
They are very strong engines. I love the sound once you remove smog parts. Changing injectors is a nightmare. Also head gaskets. Huge pain. Until then they are great, and most last a long time before failures.

So changing a head gasket is easier on a 6.7 cummins?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
by contrast chevy built the 100th million small block in 2011. yes, there were many many changes over the year, but still a successful engine. I'll bet ford has built similar number of their small block.

Now I have owned two duramax's. a 2004.5 that our son now has and is still running strong, but only has 160K miles on it. and a 2015 Denali.

both have been very nice trucks with zip issues.

but I'll bet cummin's has built more than 2 million of the engines used in the dodge and many motor homes along with many other applications.

Yes Cummins has built a ton of engines. Not the same issue as a truck.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
by contrast chevy built the 100th million small block in 2011. yes, there were many many changes over the year, but still a successful engine. I'll bet ford has built similar number of their small block.

Now I have owned two duramax's. a 2004.5 that our son now has and is still running strong, but only has 160K miles on it. and a 2015 Denali.

both have been very nice trucks with zip issues.

but I'll bet cummin's has built more than 2 million of the engines used in the dodge and many motor homes along with many other applications.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
travelnutz wrote:

A group of 755 employees at the DMAX plant in Moraine, Ohio just celebrated the build of the 2 millionth Duramax 6.6-liter V8 turbo-diesel engine."

.....and every single one of them is still on the road and running strong.

Yep, someone on the internet made that false news claim. None have ever been totaled, right?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:

.....and every single one of them is still on the road and running strong.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
My parents recently purchased their second Duramax truck and my dad loves it.

Wow... never would have guessed this. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Christmas dinner when a truck commercial comes on ;);)

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
My parents recently purchased their second Duramax truck and my dad loves it.

On the other Chevy engine topic:
1970 LS6 454 with 32k miles was the power moving my SS when I got my drivers license. I still remember when my dad handed over the keys and told me if I tear it up (his car)he would rip me a new one. :B

USA-1
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"