cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Up Camera

ThreeToGo
Explorer
Explorer
My husband has been hauling a Host TC around on our Dodge dually for about ten years. Due to his health issues, I have started driving the truck. I would like to have a backup camera installed. There seems to be a vast variation in prices. Will you guys please recommend a particular model or tell us what to look in this item. Also, how difficult are they to install? Is this something that an ordinary handy sort of guy can do on his own or will we have to have some techie do it?
8 REPLIES 8

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/towing-cameras/50002.html

This is what I have and am very satisfied with. Install was easy for a wired system and their customer support is excellent.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the same system as Buzzcut accept I have the cameras with wireless built into them. (antenna comes direct off camera instead of in line with cable).
love it. on mine I found only camera 1 can have the distance lines.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I bought this system and upgraded it to a wireless package. In retrospect I should have opted for a three camera system. One on the back of the TC, One on the horses inside the trailer and one on the back of the horse trailer. Right now I don't have one on the back of the trailer ( I can see over it with the TC camera. a button push toggles between camera images to be displayed.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/7-monitor-and-two-120-mounted-rv-backup-camera-for-a-horse-tra...

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

LamboDesigns
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 - Did you upgrade to the CCD camera?

I'm hoping my setup is at least close to what you have when I'm done. I know for $80 I shouldn't expect HD quality but hoping it works well enough.
2013 Lance 855S with most options
2016 Ford F250 4x4 gas, 3.73, airbags, bigwig, homemade stableloads, 20" wheels with toyo open country II
Sold - 1989 Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 - Is that the 7" monitor? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on that one and getting it wireless with gps.
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I do like my Tadibrothers camera. It's not just a backup camera the way I have it wired, its a rear view mirror. Night or day I know exactly whats behind me (headlights on = camera on). The Mil Spec night vision really works. Nothing like being able to see small details when backing into a tight campsite at 1am.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

LamboDesigns
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still waiting on the camera so I can't give a full report but I bought a wifi transmitter (search on "wifi 903W" on amazon and you should find it) and a CCD camera for less than $80. I'm using an extra tracfone that we had for the screen but you could also use a tablet. I ordered the camera off ebay after verifying the transmitter worked (search for "white ccd backup camera" on ebay) and there were a couple of options in the $40 range. The best offer didn't seem to work and I went up until I was within 5 cents of the buy it now price.

I've tested it with another camera and it seems to work ok with the phone out in the driveway and the transmitter in the garage. Picture quality wasn't great but I think that was a product of the cheap camera I was using and it was about the same as the one I had on my old RV that was a dozen years old and cost a lot more. There is a little lag and it gets worse the further away you get but I don't expect it to be a problem for what I want the camera for and it won't be that far away with a truck camper.

Installation should just be mounting the camera and running 12 volts to it and the transmitter. Setup for the phone was easy. I ordered the camera off ebay (search for "white ccd backup camera" and there were a couple of options in the $40 range).

I figure if it doesn't work well enough I can still use the camera and either wire it direct (did that once and would like to avoid it) or get the non-wifi wireless setup like tadibrothers sells and not be out too much money. It will be a week or so before I get it installed and can give a full report but it is at least another option that saves you some money if you already have a phone or tablet you can use.
2013 Lance 855S with most options
2016 Ford F250 4x4 gas, 3.73, airbags, bigwig, homemade stableloads, 20" wheels with toyo open country II
Sold - 1989 Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a lot of different types. I believe a wireless model is probably the easiest, and they come with their own display. Buzzcut1 installed a tadibrothers. His write up is in this thread. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25529082/gotomsg/28913509.cfm

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member