cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best blocking for stabilizer jacks

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2007 Jayco 25z featherlite. The leveling jacks are somewhat high up and a lot of the campnsites we stop at I end up have to use some blocks to have it reach the ground. My issue is I use concrete blocks which adds way too much weight to my TV. Are there any products out there I can use for this?
24 REPLIES 24

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience wood is the best and I carry a variety of lengths and widths, this comes in very handy. The wood is not that heavy and has some very important benefits over the plastic ones.

(I definitely would NOT use RR ties. They are too heavy to handle and are soaked with creosote.)

The first is that wood will "conform" itself because of it;s softness to the surfaces of Dirt, gravel, mud, asphalt etc. this provided a much better "grip" on the ground. The plastic to me are cheap, too easily broken and cannot be easily turned into a ramp to level my trailer as I can with my wood pieces.

The actual weight difference is not an issue unless you are drastically overweight to begin with.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
I built these out of particle board with some interior bracing. I call them my 5-7-9 blocks as depending how they are laid. They weigh less than 4 lbs and have carry handles.

RVing since 1995.

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer
I used 6" long pieces of 2x6, stacked 4 or 5 high and screwed together. I made 4 of these and they fit perfectly in a standard plastic milk crate.
I also carry 2 pieces of 2x10 about 4-1/2' long and a piece of plywood the same size, all pressure treated.
I use a block under each stabilizer jack and if I'm in an off-level spot side-to-side, I park the trailer wheels on 1,2, or all 3 of the planks until it's level. I've never parked the trailer where the above combination of planks could not level it.
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i

zenbuck
Explorer
Explorer
4 6x6 cut at 10 inch.. Lay flat for 6" or stand for 10"
4 4x4 cut at 6 inch..
8 2x10 cut at 10 inch..
Works in just about all situations..
All packed in a Rubbermaid in the TV..

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
A 6x6x16 for the tongue, 4 12x12x1/2 plywood, 30 Lego blocks. Takes care of all situations we've been in.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
over time I switched from wood to lego blocks. The only wood I still occasionally use is 12x18 plywood for soft ground.

The lego blocks are lighter and just hose off dirt. I have four sets and only bought one. Two came from the dealer when we bought new rigs, one set was a raffle prize at an RV show. Found a couple in the woods left by a previous boondocker.

One site we were assigned was so uneven I used every block I had and still had to dig a hole for one tire. Had to bend over to get into one door and got a nosebleed climbing into the other. ๐Ÿ˜‰
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The class RR tie blocks I use are no where near as heavy as a cement block.

We sometime camp in primitive areas that require all different size wood blocks and ramps (length and thickness) for a tandem axle trailer to get it level and to get the truck on a close enough plane to get unhooked/hooked.
When the trailer is level and the pin box is head high or maybe in another camp spot the trailers bumper is 4' of the ground..... then lots of blocks are needed.
Or maybe one side of the trailer is dug down and the other side is on 10"-12" of blocks

I have a big selection of wood 2" x 8" by various lengths..... 4"x8" various lengths, two with one I chain sawed at a angle for drive on ramps......5"x5" various lengths.....RR ties 12" long all in the front storage box.
I also use them under my rear stabilizers and front landing jacks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
I use the plastic legos for my side to side level under the tires. I use various lengths of wood blocks under the stabilizer jacks
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
I use 4 6x6x12 most of the time. But I always have a few 2x8 pieces for when im really low and on one side and the blocks don't fit. Some times I use both at the same time. I try not to extend the stabs past half way. Helps with the wiggle.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I use some 2x8 lumber, and plastic stacking blocks.

Railroad ties are probably the worst thing to use... they stink, can be messy to handle and most are made of Oak, which is HEAVY.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
RR ties weigh as much as blocks. I use 2 X 12 a foot long. You can mix used diesel and motor oil and coat them and they will last longer than you. I like my TT to move some. Reminds me I'm not home.

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I use Andersen levelers for the wheels and then have a bag of plastic lego blocks and a tote of 4x4 pressure treated posts that were cut to about 8 inches long for the stabilizers.

With that combo I can level the camper under many different scenarios.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of stacking, cut a 1 1/2" slot halfway down the center of a plank (I like to use engineered lumber because it's strong and free). Cut another similar length plank with the same slot. You can slide the plank pieces together in the center and have a usable "stand" as long as you like. The plank "stand" sets up easily and breaks down for carrying as flats in wherever you store them.

I'd like to take credit for this but I shamelessly stole the idea from another RV'er.:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Explorer II
Explorer II
I had some 4X4 fence posts so I cut them down to a little longer than my stab feet. In guessing about 16". Then put several coats of paint on them. It's easy to stack them 2 high for 8" high. Works for me.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857