cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place to buy tires ?

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
We always talk about the best TV tire well my question is where is the best place to buy tires ? Where is the place that you say .....this is the only place I would buy tires at.

A lot of these places seem to promise the moon but fail to deliver when the time comes to back up their talk...Oh, you had it under inflated...Oh, you needed an alignment.... Oh, you didn't have them rotated enough....Oh, something must be wrong with your truck for them to wear like that........I keep my tires properly inflated, rotate them every 4000 miles and keep my truck in tip top shape but the kids at the tire shop still want to throw their learned sales pitch at you.

You call a place on the phone and they tell you the price of the tire but when cashing out it is $100 more....Oh well we added on tax , mounting, balancing and shop supplies.

Another thing that gets me is when the guy says ......That tire will give you about 35,000miles but for $75 more this one will give you 50,000....... Tires for these big TV's are close to $300 a piece....Think I'll just buy a used tire mounting machine and buy my tires online.
26 REPLIES 26

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Discount Tires........when possible

ANY tire shop.........when necessary

x2

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
The question of this topic gives me an opportunity to express appreciation for Discount Tire and also for WalMart.
I am glad to have this opportunity to express my appreciation for the Rifle, Colorado WalMart and the Grand Junction, Colorado Discount Tire Store.

Always nice to hear about good service!

My usual "tire place" is my local repair garage. Their prices are usually within a few dollars of what I can find online, and INCLUDE mounting and balancing. The local garage has a stellar reputation. They usually have a two week+ wait to get in for service, but if is an emergency they will get you in right now. The guys that run the place aren't getting any younger, and it will be a shame when they retire (though they certainly will deserve it). They will also mount and balance tires that I order myself off the internet - somewhere around $15 a tire, less if I bring the the old wheels and tires in myself off the truck.

Nearby Ford dealership actually has good prices for tires. Need to be careful - they add a fee for mounting and balancing, which usually brings their price up to everyone else. Then, of course, you "need" a front end alignment when you get new tires... it is "strongly recommended" by the manufacturers. I've never had issues with not getting an alignment with new tires, if the vehicle didn't need an alignment beforehand. My local Ford dealership is decent as far as dealerships go, but if you aren't aware they will do a lot of work that may be recommended but not really needed.

Otherwise, on the road, I try to ask around about tire places. Tow truck drivers can be pretty good about recommendations, although of course if their shop sells tires they will recommend themselves. Police are iffy - many times they have a "call list", and simply give the name of next garage on that list... they may be required to do this to avoid "favoring" a garage.

Ok, time for another cup of coffee.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Discount tire
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'll give Discount Tire a try.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Tire Retailers in the inland northwest ranked in my preferred order:
Les Schwab
Discount Tire
TireRama

I have no problem doing business with any of them. There are others that I wouldn't even recommend to my ex-wife.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I go to Dunn Tire, but that's a local chain which doesn't do most of you any good.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
X10 for Americas tire and Discount
have been using them for many years.
have had issues, and they corrected them always.
Now in 3 days we will again find out.
One thing to always check when you buy tires is the tire date
on way to phoenix, had a blowout. Made iT to Americas tire, put on 5 new Tires.
When we got to phoenix, I noticed the dates, they were 2 yrs old.
I called district manager, and then received a call from local discount tire shop. They will replace all with new Bridgestone R250
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
padredw wrote:
The question of this topic gives me an opportunity to express appreciation for Discount Tire and also for WalMart.

We discovered a flat tire upon arriving at Rifle Gap State Park in Colorado in September. We had towed for an unknown number of miles as the tire was "going flat." That was on a Sunday afternoon

The next morning I was able to air up the tire with a portable compressor and was able to drive into the town of Rifle. I had a prejudice against WalMart and tried to find another place to check the tire, but the only place I could find was the Rifle WalMart. It was early in the morning, but the woman who was in charge told me that as soon as the workers came in she would have them to check the tire. They had to take the tire off and then off the rim, discovered that the tire was damaged beyond repair, then put the spare on and replaced the "flat" tire on the spare carriage. The woman in charge told me that they did not have a tire to replace.

I remembered that I had bought the tires here in East Texas at a Discount Tire Store, so I called Grand Junction. The young man asked only for my phone number, then addressed me by name and said, "Yes, sir, we have that tire and will make a good adjustment on it. You just come on over here."

I then went to the desk and asked that WalMart associate what I owed. She replied, "You don't owe anything. We were not able to repair the tire and we do not have a replacement." She printed out a receipt when showed a balance of $0.00.

When we arrived at Grand Junction (towing our 34' fifth-wheel) we met the same young man who spoke to me on the phone, who greeted us as if we were the most important customers of that store. I don't have the figures before me but I know that it was less than $40 for a $200 tire (round numbers), including balances, mounting, tax.

I am glad to have this opportunity to express my appreciation for the Rifle, Colorado WalMart and the Grand Junction, Colorado Discount Tire Store.

I got outstanding service at Wallyworld for a tire once too. (Only time I've bought a tire there). Late Sunday afternoon and I had the second fault of what actually turned out to be a 3 flat day. Coming in with one axle chained up, lol. (Learned that old and GY Marathon = tire suicide) Had just bought this boat. Anyway, go in an buy a tire. There's like 10 people ahead of me for tires. Idk what brought out everyone at 5pm on a Sunday to put new baloney skins on their buggies...anyway.
Walked out, rolled my flat over by a tire machine and put $20 on it. 10 min later I had a new tire mounted!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Craigslist and Amazon.

Seriously.
Also takes the worry out of whether some place will warranty your tire when something happens. Cause no one will! However if you're saving the cost of one or 2 tires everytime you buy tires, it's like getting your warranty coverage up front and since blown tires are rare, you actually SAVE money!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I now have all my vehicles supplied with tires from America's Tire. Great service at all times.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Les Schwab.

Mitch

I go back years with Les Schwab, even stopped in at store number 1 when he worked the counter and shoot the bull.
Fast forward 50+ years and it's some stores are still have great and some not so great.
My home town they have had some issues. Guess it hard to manage so many stores.
My 2 cents worth.
To be fair I do live in a small town of 7,000 and maybe that is some of the reasons.
Flaguy
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Les Schwab.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Discount Tire/America's Tire (same company) is the only place I buy tires. Great service, no games, and they've got locations everywhere so if you ever need a tire repaired or warranted you'll find them in every major area

X2 only place I buy my tires.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased a lot of tires from Discount Tire, Discount Tire online and some from Big O. My last set on my TV I bought at Costco - they beat everyone around with the tires I wanted which were on sale at the time.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er