Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cars moving to 48V systems

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sort of a cheap hybrid: ETech

I'd guess this doesn't apply to diesels.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
12 REPLIES 12

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
These new voltages are for the system controls...dash, vehicle network controllers, etc....NOT the drive train stuff

The inverter/controller/power-source for the drive train cab be in the 600 volt range
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
hugemoth wrote:
Makes a lot of sense. Have to be careful working on it though. Hard to get shocked with 12V but 48V can get you.

If you concentrate, you may just feel it. I have worked with 48VDC on transmitters and often would hold positive and negative stripped conductors in same hand without a notice.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the idea of a electric turbo. I always thought a higher voltage electric motor turning the AC compressor would help with fuel economy too.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
There are several other lines in the sand of safety rules from the regulatory agencies protecting society from themselves...

Like any OEM can NOT use "high voltage" labels for anything under 599 volts...and a big ETC

Like HID headlamps require special wiring, color of that wire, protection for that wire....where the high voltage transformer is located and armor enclosure, etc

Wonder what the charging and delivery converter (chopper circuit) attains in it's highest voltage? It will be higher than than the DC voltage delivered to the motor...maybe AC motors for this app...as they cost less than DC motors...

rockymtnb wrote:
BenK wrote:
96 volts DC would be the better jump...than these micro jumps in higher voltage

Everything they say is 'better' is real, but why just to 48 VDC?

Because 50 volts is the dividing line between low voltage vs special high voltage safety regulations. Anything over 50 volts requires special safety enhancements both in the engineering/manufacturing and for servicing.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

rockymtnb
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

Because 50 volts is the dividing line between low voltage vs special high voltage safety regulations. Anything over 50 volts requires special safety enhancements both in the engineering/manufacturing and for servicing.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The progress seems to closely parallel the era of steam engines as they became fairly high tech increasing efficiency and power etc just as diesels swept them all away.

If vehicles do go 48 volt for some applications the days of a dual voltage are numbered. Each model revision some 12v accesories will get converted to 48 until the 12v is just gone.
JMHO

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I have an rc plane I fly on 50 volts, so why not cars ,

before you ask, TWO 6 cell lipo batteries hooked in series 6000Mah

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
There are many BSG equipped vehicles entering the market in the next few years. But only the BSG system uses the 48v. The rest of the car uses 12v like today. Been testing BSG now for about a year.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

Also, no more alternator, no more starter motor (starter engine to you folks who don't understand the difference between a motor and engine). Heck even a two speed tranny and not more TC, valve bodies, etc. Super small too and is where the electric motor goes...where the auto tranny used to be...

There was a 1,500 HP traction motor listed in the below link/quote, but find that they took that site down.

DARPA funded next gen tank drive system. Fond memories of that phase in my career(s)...

Hybrid Trucks for Towing

This is the traction motor I'd love to get my hands on...or it's baby
brother, if there is one...

http://www.electrodynamics.net/projects/high_torque_motor.html

1,500 HP...CONTINUOUS duty cycle next gen tank motor and it will have TWO of them.
One on each side (treads) and direct drive on the sprocket. Plus these
can be over driven to have over 200% torque at ZERO RPM at a reduced
duty cycle (think somewhere around 40%....also assuming dependent
on the cooling systems capabilities)

On our trucks, NO tranny needed and the diff can be a 1:1

Since no tranny, this motor can be in the tranny tunnel and the ICE bay a pure
generator & battery setup....also tried to get a few of the OEMs
to understand that architecture, but they have no clue in their
marketing and management folks....their engineering folks did and
loved talking shop with them...but the decision makers continued to
give us headaches...

Glad to find you also understand that any 'diesel' locomotive is a hybrid and
has been for decades. I'm working on my city's staff trying to get them to
understand that and that the freight line can be an all electric for HSR (high
speed rail), but that is another topic...
-Ben Picture of my rig

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I vote "NO" on the belt driven starter/generator... so 1960's lawn tractors...

for years.. "They" have been talking of replacing the 12 volt systems to 36 volts for less copper wire size... guess that is Gone. ๐Ÿ™‚

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
Makes a lot of sense. Have to be careful working on it though. Hard to get shocked with 12V but 48V can get you.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work on diesels, in fact one of the vehicles in the article was a diesel.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3