cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding On our First Travel Trailer

hsk1977
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have been shopping for our first travel trailer for the last few months. The choices are a bit overwhelming, but we think we have finally at least decided on the floor plan that we want. I'm having a hard time finding a lot of reviews about the specific models that we are looking at, however, so I thought I would post and see if I could get some opinions.

Three of the models we are comparing right now are the 2017 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 212QBW, 2017 Heartland Pioneer RD210, and the 2017 Coleman CTS202RD. The features are pretty similar from what we can tell, and the price is comparable as well. The Jayco does have a 2-year warranty, however, and the dealer selling it offers a lifetime warranty.

As a side note, the Coleman & Heartland are both at Camping World. We like the idea of dealing with them and having access to multiple locations, but that lifetime warranty that the local dealer offers with the Jayco is really tempting.

This is a big investment, and we want to get a good product, but we also realize that there are issues with all brands and want to make sure we have a good warranty to fall back on. Can anyone offer any feedback on any of these models or the brands in general? Any comments regarding the "lifetime" warranties some dealers include vs purchasing an extended warranty are welcome as well.

Thank you in advance!
2017 Starcraft AR-One Maxx 21FB
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
25 REPLIES 25

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
hsk1977 wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
We are also looking for a TT, our second. We've had TT, a camper van, a cabover and a motorhome. For what we do the travel trailer is the best. We are looking at new or nearly new. Our first one was used and it was fine but..with used you may find some neglect. Neglect can look minor and be major if it involves a leak that has gone unaddressed over a long period of time.

The new units do experience depreciation but, nothing like a motorhome from what I have seen. Mostly, I want a TT that I don't have to work on for a while. But, from what I read some people have a lot of issues with brand new units. So, when you get yours take it camping near your house and try everything so that if something's not working you're close to the dealer. RVs are mostly pretty simple but, better to let the dealer fix it under warranty.

Thanks for the comments! Yes, one thing that concerns me about buying used on our first RV is just the fact that we just don't KNOW what to look for. I don't want to end up with a unit that has been neglected, has major issues that we couldn't see, and then be stuck without a warranty. To us, it's totally worth the extra money to buy new & have a warranty.

We will definitely take it out nearby soon after we purchase one and try it out. We are very excited about getting an RV. We've been tent campers for years and have borrowed a pop-up camper a few times. We look forward to many more camping trips once we finally make our purchase.

Water is not your friend when it comes to damage on an RV of any type. In our experience there is a tipping point where the damage has gone too far. A little leak that get's fixed may not be a big deal at all. Rubber roofs suck but, it's what we're stuck with. Our 1991 Prowler TT had a metal roof. Yea, it was a heavy camper but, that roof was easy to maintain and could potentially last a lifetime. Rubber roofs are sneaky little boogers. They can have small leaks that go for years and worse, they trap water between the rubber and the wood. So, you can have a mold situation. Rubber roofs have a life expectancy of 20 years if maintained properly. I suspect that if they are maintained they will go longer than that. But, how many RVs do you see sitting and ignored in storage lots and driveways across the land? I'd argue that 99% are ignored till it's time to camp. I get on the roof a couple of times a year and I have recoated it a couple of times. My old RV is 27 this year but, in exceptional shape. At the place where I store it I see a whole lot of neglected RVs. The guy who owns the place talks about it all the time. Someone buys a 1/4 million dollar motorhome, takes a couple of trips, and then lets it go to seed in the lot. There's a motorhome a few down from mine that was a sweet ride in 2010 when the guy parked it there. It's hasn't moved, been started, had air put in the tires since then.

So, I would totally buy a used camper. But, with 25 years of RVing I hope I would know what to look for. A little water stain on a ceiling or wall may not be worth worrying about if the price is right. But, it could be indicative of major problems. Also, I have repaired more of that stuff than I ever want to touch again in my lifetime. So, part of my motivation moving forward is laziness, pure and simple. I'm tired of the never ending punch list on old RVs. I can't tolerate something not working, leaks, rust, old tires, etc.. Doing the numbers vs. aggravation + age (of me) it's making sense to go with a new/newer TT and avoid the temptation to buy one that needs some "TLC". That "TLC" term can be loaded. Back in the day it was fun. Now, not so much. The good news is that when something breaks at the campground I have always been able to fix it right there with very little fuss.

Anyway, I say all that to make my case that although with new you have the new unit depreciation but, you also have a warranty. You have some reasonable expectation that the roof won't give you issues for a few years. The tires are new, the wheel bearings are new, the fridge is new, etc, etc.. Some parts seem to last a very long time..furnaces for example. I have never had one go bad. Refrigerators in RV seem to go maybe 20 years or less. I have never had a water heater go bad. Just drain it in the fall. I only use the pink anti freeze in the drains. I used about 20 PSI of compressed air and blow out all the lines when winterizing the motorhome. I'll let it blow through the system with the valves open for about 15 minutes. Been winterizing that way for a long time and never had a water line break in the winter.

I have rambled enough..

GScottLockwood
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Jayco Whitehawk and love it however all travel trailers have issues and sometimes the best bet is to get a one or two-year-old trailer if you can find one because the previous owner has probably already fixed all of the niggling problems . We looked at hundreds of trailers finally decided on a Murphy bed unit and ordered it in the winter for summer delivery so we could get exactly the options we wanted.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this has been said but, almost all campers are the same with the exception of some construction differences,and friday afternoon build, or lemon, we have owned 7 campers from 5 brands all about the same, lance was a little better maybe but not enough to be a deal breaker on the rest, the main thing is most of todays campers are only as good as the dealer you go through and how " YOU " take care ot it, this time we chose a Forest River because it was the floor plain we wanted and we have a dealer within 30 miles, it is a 2017 and we had to take it back once for a water leak under the floor, not a big deal even if I would have fixed it but while under warranty I thought I would let them do it.

As some have said there is no perfect camper, we liked our 28ft class C motorhome for some trips, out truck camper for some trips and a TT for others, you just have to sit back and try to look down the road and decide what type of camping you think you will be doing the most of and rig the camper you bought accordingly, with such things as good batteries and solar or generator.

for us we like total quiet so a genny is out but we like to boondock so we have solar and a few batteries.

When we decided to sell the truck camper and go back to a TT I looked at every thing on the web for months everyday, took I don't know how many notes untill we had it down to 3 campers, as luck would have it out local dealer had the top choice.......we took it as a sign and bought it that day.

Dar
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

hsk1977
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
We are also looking for a TT, our second. We've had TT, a camper van, a cabover and a motorhome. For what we do the travel trailer is the best. We are looking at new or nearly new. Our first one was used and it was fine but..with used you may find some neglect. Neglect can look minor and be major if it involves a leak that has gone unaddressed over a long period of time.

The new units do experience depreciation but, nothing like a motorhome from what I have seen. Mostly, I want a TT that I don't have to work on for a while. But, from what I read some people have a lot of issues with brand new units. So, when you get yours take it camping near your house and try everything so that if something's not working you're close to the dealer. RVs are mostly pretty simple but, better to let the dealer fix it under warranty.

Thanks for the comments! Yes, one thing that concerns me about buying used on our first RV is just the fact that we just don't KNOW what to look for. I don't want to end up with a unit that has been neglected, has major issues that we couldn't see, and then be stuck without a warranty. To us, it's totally worth the extra money to buy new & have a warranty.

We will definitely take it out nearby soon after we purchase one and try it out. We are very excited about getting an RV. We've been tent campers for years and have borrowed a pop-up camper a few times. We look forward to many more camping trips once we finally make our purchase.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get all hung up on stuff you can see. Spend more time on construction and the less wood the better. Particularly in the floor and roof. No wood is best.

hsk1977
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
All brands have problem units. All brands have problem-free units. All brands have everything in between. For what it is worth, I probably see more Jaycos in campgrounds than any other brand.
It's sorta like asking which is better, Chevy or Ford.
If you like the dealer and what he has, that's what I would recommend. From what you have said, this path seems to be best for you.

Thanks for your feedback. It's looking more and more like the Jayco is the one for us!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
All brands have problem units. All brands have problem-free units. All brands have everything in between. For what it is worth, I probably see more Jaycos in campgrounds than any other brand.
It's sorta like asking which is better, Chevy or Ford.
If you like the dealer and what he has, that's what I would recommend. From what you have said, this path seems to be best for you.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

hsk1977
Explorer
Explorer
Candie4749 wrote:
Jayco is a good choice. I hope the model you choose is currently in stock at the dealer. Ours has been on order for six months now.

Thank you. It was still in stock a couple of days ago, so maybe it will stay there. I hope yours comes in soon!

Candie4749
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco is a good choice. I hope the model you choose is currently in stock at the dealer. Ours has been on order for six months now.

hsk1977
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all the comments suggesting that we should buy used to save money, and we do understand that buying new is more expensive. One issue we have with that is that we live in an EXTREMELY rural area, and there just aren't many options around. I have seen a handful of used travel trailers posted for sale in our area, and all have been very old and run down. Also, to be perfectly honest, we just don't feel comfortable buying from an individual and not having any kind of warranty behind what we get. To us, it's worth the extra money to get something nice and have some peace of mind. We know what we want; I was just hoping to get some feedback on choosing a good brand.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever TT that you decide on, rent one of a similar floor plan and size first, if you want to see how much you will lose in 2 years check the price of a new one and a 2 year old model and than subtract another $5000.00 and you will see that used is the way to go.

hsk1977
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all have have given feedback. We appreciate it! Anything else about these particular brands would be great!

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
A wise man that I knew once told me...you are going through life one time, enjoy it. Buy what you want and enjoy it...Jayco's are nice. It is very hard to make a choice...go with what you want. We upgraded a few years ago from a pop up to a travel trailer. We looked at all brands, we knew what we wanted. We found it used very little just a few miles from home. Go with what you want, enjoy it.
Mark