cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Facts about diesel ideling

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
As the vast majority of 5th wheels are being towed by diesel trucks here is some interesting facts about idling and the myths surrounding it:

http://www.in.gov/idem/prevention/2372.htm
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6
96 REPLIES 96

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailerbikecamper wrote:
The first myth about idling for warm up time is in direct contravention of my owners manual. My manula states that, the vehicle should not be driven at higher than 1200 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

Beside the fact that this article seems to be geared toward the commercial trucking industry, not the personal owner.

If I did that, I couldn't have driven my F-350s...because they WOULDN'T reach normal temperature unless driven over 1200RPM!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
avvidclif1 wrote:
You forget one thing about idling big rigs in cold weather. When the temps drop below low teens and especially below zero that oil gets very thick when the engine is off. Park in a truck stop in 0 degrees weather and shut it down and you probably can't start it the next morning. It flat will not turn over. It may not be warm the next morning but it at least will be running.

Then fix your truck. I have fired my work truck in cold temperatures many times without a problem!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
With my four Cummins powered Rams and their properly located post turbo pyrometers, driving around town seldom required more than a minute idle time to safe shutdown temp. While towing, by the time I coasted into a rest area or down an off ramp to get fuel, I was already at a safe temp before coming to a stop. In the campgrounds, less than a minute or two at the most.
Even back in the previous century, Cummins recommended not idling for extended periods as it can cause cold combustion and cylinder washdown, stuck rings and clogged injectors. Truckers let them idle to keep themselves warm at night, not the engine.
My diesel pickups were no more of a big rig then than my 5.4L F250 is now. Not even with the towing mirrors out when I'm not towing anything is it a big rig. No need to pretend it is.
Now if I could add a compressor and solenoid to sound like air brakes when I come to a stop, that would be a whole different story! :B

Post turbo properly located? I and many on the TDR would disagree with that. Post turbo is too slow to respond to what is happening.

Buy a 3pc exhaust manifold where is it tapped for the probe?

Properly located according to Cummins. The exhaust elbows on my four Cummins was bolstered and dimpled specifically for drilling and installing a probe. I have the first issue of TDR. I was a member when it was a mailing list registry before the first issue. The proper location to monitor for shut down temps is post turbo. The turbo is a heat sink and can stay hot longer than exhaust gasses pre turbo. Pre turbo is for monitoring exhaust gasses in modified engines to prevent overtemp of combustion chambers. It may be more entertaining pre turbo and necessary for bombed diesels but, it's not reliable for shut down temps.

Only real reason anyone would have added a pyro to the older Cummins is because they were bombed! The engines were so detuned they could not be hurt. When you are pouring the coal to it you want to know your temps NOW.

Been a member there since 01 and my Dad an original member was the first to claim "I am my own warranty station" !

I guess we will disagree.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well there's about a zillion diesel owners driving around with no gauges, turning their trucks off all Willy nilly and they're not cooking turbos every day.
Makes sense after a hard pull to not immediately shut down. 9of 10 times you're cool enough by the time you pull off the road.
Let's not make too much about it. 1min cool down after driving around town? Really.
Turn it on, turn it off, it will be fine.
Only time I see egts stay over 400 (pre turbo) for more than maybe a minute is if I'm hauling heavy and hauling @ss up hill in the summer and stop within less than a minute of stomping the skinny pedal.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
trailerbikecamper wrote:
The first myth about idling for warm up time is in direct contravention of my owners manual. My manula states that, the vehicle should not be driven at higher than 1200 RPM until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

Beside the fact that this article seems to be geared toward the commercial trucking industry, not the personal owner.

I couldn't drive down the neighborhood street if that was the case.

This is exactly my point. The truck is supposed to idle until it reaches normal operating temp to prevent danage.
Dan

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
trailerbikecamper wrote:

If you don't mind my asking, what vehicle are you referring too? I haven't found a rpm limit in any of my owners manuals for driving before reaching full operating temperature.

This on my '03 CTD 2500. Not a large commercial vehicle by any stretch of th eimagination.
Dan

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DutchmenSport wrote:
I have found with my truck (3500 diesel)

What year is your truck?

It looks like a GM, correct?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
With my four Cummins powered Rams and their properly located post turbo pyrometers, driving around town seldom required more than a minute idle time to safe shutdown temp. While towing, by the time I coasted into a rest area or down an off ramp to get fuel, I was already at a safe temp before coming to a stop. In the campgrounds, less than a minute or two at the most.
Even back in the previous century, Cummins recommended not idling for extended periods as it can cause cold combustion and cylinder washdown, stuck rings and clogged injectors. Truckers let them idle to keep themselves warm at night, not the engine.
My diesel pickups were no more of a big rig then than my 5.4L F250 is now. Not even with the towing mirrors out when I'm not towing anything is it a big rig. No need to pretend it is.
Now if I could add a compressor and solenoid to sound like air brakes when I come to a stop, that would be a whole different story! :B

Post turbo properly located? I and many on the TDR would disagree with that. Post turbo is too slow to respond to what is happening.

Properly located according to Cummins. The exhaust elbows on my four Cummins was bolstered and dimpled specifically for drilling and installing a probe. I have the first issue of TDR. I was a member when it was a mailing list registry before the first issue. The proper location to monitor for shut down temps is post turbo. The turbo is a heat sink and can stay hot longer than exhaust gasses pre turbo. Pre turbo is for monitoring exhaust gasses in modified engines to prevent overtemp of combustion chambers. It may be more entertaining pre turbo and necessary for bombed diesels but, it's not reliable for shut down temps.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Diesel generators go from asleep to duty RPM right now.
x2. I worked for a company who owned a large tow able air compressor unit. It had a inline 4 cyl diesel,cannot remember what brand the engine was but I think it was probably a cummins or perkins. That engine had no idle, when started it simply went from starter speed to full duty throttle speed in about two sec. I felt sure that thing would never last the winter but 5 years later to my surprise it was still working without any problems. Seldom ever added any oil to it. Shut down was the same, full load to stop instantly. Makes one wonder if warm up/cool down is really that important. However I always do it on my truck.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Choose your campsites more wisely, and it won't matter to you who is idling their diesel.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
Its my truck my fuel and my money, if I want to let it idle all day I will. If it is really hot out and it get that way in AZ and I going into a store in is going to be idling with the AC on until I come out and if I lived where it was 0 I would let it idle with the heater on until I come out of the store however long it takes

I have a $200 car with a $3000, 4000 watt boom box and some rap music cd's. It's my car, my gas, my music and I'll play it as loud and long as I want to because I enjoy being annoying! Hey! We have a lot in common! :B

LOL x2 unfortunately hotpepperkid probably leaves his blasting stereo on and thumping pushing those windows out with every beat while he's in shopping.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
Its my truck my fuel and my money, if I want to let it idle all day I will. If it is really hot out and it get that way in AZ and I going into a store in is going to be idling with the AC on until I come out and if I lived where it was 0 I would let it idle with the heater on until I come out of the store however long it takes

I have a $200 car with a $3000, 4000 watt boom box and some rap music cd's. It's my car, my gas, my music and I'll play it as loud and long as I want to because I enjoy being annoying! Hey! We have a lot in common! :B