cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which one do you like when traveling with your TT?
12 REPLIES 12

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I wish Google Maps had an RV option for setting routes, so it'd pick routes with at least like 12' clearance.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We use a Garmin Dezl 760LMT. It's a nice large GPS built for trucking. It has an option to put into car mode or truck mode. In car mode it's just like any other Garmin GPS unit. For truck mode you put in your height, length, weight, and the unit routes you down appropriate roads. It helps us avoid things like low clearances and roads that are too narrow. It also give useful info like sharp curves and steep grades ahead. There's an RV specific version that follows the same logic. We also use the Waze app. Waze is good for getting live traffic info. The Garmin gives traffic, but it's not always available in all areas and Waze has near instantaneous traffic updates.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I use an old Garmin, my neighbor prefers a Tom-Tom. My daughter and grandkids use their smart phones, my cousin uses the dashboard GPS that came with his car.

I prefer a satellite hook up, as I often am outside of cell service range.

GPS is good but they can lead you the long way to your destination, send you the wrong way down a one way street and a few other quirks. I always have a road map for back up.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
I did a three month loop back East last Fall and depended on my Android phone with Google Maps at times. It was more than adequate for my purposes however it was doing one thing that drove me absolutely nuts.

When out on secondary roads coming up on a rural town with a cross intersection or perhaps a red light it would for some reason turn me off on Farm roads to go around those little towns which quite often got me into difficulties with narrow roads with no white lines where hopefully I didn't meet any other traffic.

Considering that you have tunnel vision when following a map on a phone you can't really see what's coming up ahead very easily so I started getting paranoid when it wanted me to do sudden turns off of a good road.

I think where full-blown good RV GPS might come in handy is in major cities where apparently they will line you up with what Lane to be in to to get through town. Since I spend practically zero time in cities and prefer to blow a day going around them I just don't need the full-featured GPS units.

Like a lot of things in the RV World it comes down to your style of travel and what you're comfortable with. For me I'll stick with the handheld phone.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
The best accurate and up to date GPS I've used so far is simply the system in my VERIZON phone.

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
iPhone
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
A Garmin - trust but verify (the routes)
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin BaseCamp on my laptop to plan my route and food/fuel stops. The route info is then downloaded into my Garmin RV-660 for travel. Both have RV length, width, height, and weight settings so I don't get routed over some old covered wood bridge with a very low height or weight limit. While travelling DW checks Google maps and Waze for any traffic tie-ups, road debris, and weather info. The RV-660 also has a "car" settings when not hauling the TT with a good database to find restaurants, ATMs, and interesting places to visit. I always have paper maps for backup.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Garman 2797LMT and Google maps on my phone.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Search the forum - discussed often.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
GPS built into the truck's dash and Google Maps in my phone.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE