cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heat ideas

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
booked a weekend and the forcast is a but chilly. we ususaly camp with electricity. Not this time. Now I'm not too worried (talking 50's not freezing) but I have 2 little ones (one under a year). Any ideas on how to warm the camper without electricity or using the furnace (I don't trust the 30 year old furnace with my kids)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
46 REPLIES 46

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
pickjare wrote:
I have no experience with buddy heaters. But I would not chance using that type with a new baby. The burning flame with no exhaust requires the right amount of fresh air and I really don't know what that amount is.

But Mr. Heater knows ๐Ÿ˜‰

The manual that came with my Big Buddy heater specifies a minimum opening of 18 square inches to provide fresh air and ventilation. They suggest opening your RV's roof vent.

Wouldn't the natural flow of air be OUT through the roof vent? The air inside the trailer once the heater is on will be under higher heat and higher pressure. Air masses move from areas of high heat and pressure to areas of low heat and pressure. What if there is a crosswind forcing air back into trailer via roof vent? It only takes a couple of miles an hour of wind to do this. Basically a barely noticeable amount of wind.
Ideally there would be a fresh air intake somewhere low and an exhaust port protected from wind somewhere high.
The fact that many people use a product without trouble for many years is no guarantee that the product is entirely foolproof. It is the so-called "freak accidents" that hurt and kill people. Follow-up investigations often reveal there was nothing "freaky" about the incident at all. Just physics and a particular set of circumstances.
I think the best advice by far is to make sure the trailer furnace system is up and running safely and protection is in place in the form of detectors.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
pickjare wrote:
I have no experience with buddy heaters. But I would not chance using that type with a new baby. The burning flame with no exhaust requires the right amount of fresh air and I really don't know what that amount is.

But Mr. Heater knows ๐Ÿ˜‰

The manual that came with my Big Buddy heater specifies a minimum opening of 18 square inches to provide fresh air and ventilation. They suggest opening your RV's roof vent.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pickjare
Explorer
Explorer
This is something you prepare for so I hope you didn't mean your leaving this weekend. If so, my advice is too late. Best thing you can do is take trailer to professional RV dealer and explain that you need your furnace fully inspected and repaired to provide safe heat for you and your family-- one of which is new baby. So fix it good, vent it good, replace it if it makes sense.
In our trailer I keep brand new batteries in the smoke alarm, the carbon monoxide detector, and the propane detector (well it's hard wired but new). Yes, 3 different devices in 3 separate locations. i hope it is enough...
This is important, good luck.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't read this whole thread. I do have a portable propane heater but, I do not use it when I am sleeping. I fire it up before I go to bed. And I Make Sure That I have A Window Slightly Cracked. I get it up to about 75 degrees f in the camper. Then I shut it off, shut the window, and go to bed with blankets next to me that I can pull over myself as it get colder during the night.

I have a 30 year old furnace. I took it out, cleaned it, inspected it, and I feel that it's safe. Probably safer then a newer and cheaper made one really.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
campinia wrote:
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heaters work very well in tents and are used all over the upper Midwest for ice fishing in enclosed tents/shacks and they work very well. As has already been said, they do include safety devices built into them. This is directly from their website: "With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat." I have used one for 10 years while ice fishing and also used it in one of our first pop ups. Follow the directions provided and you will be safe and warm.

Their "website" might say that, but the MANUAL does not, at least the manuals listed on their website..

The manual is full of contradictions also..

You do realize that the so called "Oxygen Depletion Sensor" (ODS) is nothing more than a THERMOCOUPLE!

Yep, a good old fashion thermocouple..

Operation works like this, thermocouple must see enough heat to hold the gas valve open..

When oxygen starts getting low, the flame no longer is able to cover enough of the thermocouple and the gas valve closes shutting down the heater..

While this acts as a SIMPLE way of determining if there is enough oxygen, it is in no way, shape or form what I would call "accurate"..

Thermocouples are not accurate, thermocouple must be positioned correctly and the gas valve may or may not be very accurate in operation..

It is for those reasons the manual STATES CLEARLY that you must provide OUTSIDE AIR..

And by the way, the point where the flame starts to die and to the point the valve actually closes that heater will be making carbon monoxide due to incomplete combustion..

Sure, many people use these heaters and live to tell about it, but it would certainly be a bad day, to be the one that woke up the next morning DEAD!

One thing is for sure... You will only hear the opinions of those that have not had a failure on this forum.... Any that have had a failure won't be writing about it.

OP: Get your furnace fixed and safe. It is one of the things that make a TT better than a tent.
A working furnace will come in handy when you need it on a really cold trip.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
campinia wrote:
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heaters work very well in tents and are used all over the upper Midwest for ice fishing in enclosed tents/shacks and they work very well. As has already been said, they do include safety devices built into them. This is directly from their website: "With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat." I have used one for 10 years while ice fishing and also used it in one of our first pop ups. Follow the directions provided and you will be safe and warm.

Their "website" might say that, but the MANUAL does not, at least the manuals listed on their website..

The manual is full of contradictions also..

You do realize that the so called "Oxygen Depletion Sensor" (ODS) is nothing more than a THERMOCOUPLE!

Yep, a good old fashion thermocouple..

Operation works like this, thermocouple must see enough heat to hold the gas valve open..

When oxygen starts getting low, the flame no longer is able to cover enough of the thermocouple and the gas valve closes shutting down the heater..

While this acts as a SIMPLE way of determining if there is enough oxygen, it is in no way, shape or form what I would call "accurate"..

Thermocouples are not accurate, thermocouple must be positioned correctly and the gas valve may or may not be very accurate in operation..

It is for those reasons the manual STATES CLEARLY that you must provide OUTSIDE AIR..

And by the way, the point where the flame starts to die and to the point the valve actually closes that heater will be making carbon monoxide due to incomplete combustion..

Sure, many people use these heaters and live to tell about it, but it would certainly be a bad day, to be the one that woke up the next morning DEAD!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we fall camp, we bake a lot in order so the oven use heats up our rig. That means, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, pizza, roasts, . . . After they are removed from the oven, we turn it off and open the oven door. The residual heat really warms our space up and the extra calories also keep us warm!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

Before using that oven I would strongly recommend you bake a double batch of cinnamon rolls in it first!

Actually, my wife has become very proficient using the camper oven. No, we do not have a pizza stone it, but she turns out some pretty good stuff.... cookies, cakes, biscuits, rolls (yes, cinnamon too), and pies. Actually, she bakes when we are in the camper, but ... huh! try to get her to do it in the house.... FORGET IT!

There "IS" something special about the camper!

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
SOLID ADVICE on the make me fat (er) buns
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and then send us some to see if they are OK.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:

They also have range hoods that vent the combustion products and moisture. That and you don't have the stove on while you are sleeping.

This is also true. My current camper does not have a range hood vented outside. It's still never caused a problem (again.... for quick and immediate heat).

Never slept with a stove burner on either. I wouldn't do that, or even suggest it either.

Another option, if you have one in your camper, is to light the oven and leave the oven door ajar a little bit. This will also create a LOT of heat quickly, and a bit safer than a burner on the top of the stove. At most, the oven door will accidentally get shut. I have done this also when temps outside were zero or below and felt more comfortable letting it run much longer than the stove top.

Before using that oven I would strongly recommend you bake a double batch of cinnamon rolls in it first!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
totaldla wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
NEVER use a portable propane heater inside a trailer! Portable propane heaters are NOT designed for use in such a confined space, and the threat of co poisoning or even death is very real.

Why not use the trailers heater? It is vented outside and the fan runs on 12 volts.

You are just about completely wrong, and I know you have zero supporting data.

BAD advice Bucko. You have no way of knowing what he does or doesn't have or know.

Supporting Data includes the warnings right on the box or attached label for those types of heaters.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
Hoping for a 12v solution I can run of the battery using my inverter.

Generally that does not exist.
The current draw of any electric heater is too high.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"