Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need recommendations for Travel Trailer

Jason234
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

I am a new member here. Thanks for having me. The wife and I are ready to pull the trigger on a travel trailer and was looking for some input from those with experience. We are ready to upgrade from tent camping ๐Ÿ™‚ We are looking for something in the 24'-26' range with bunks for the kiddos. Something under $22,000, which can be pulled with my F-150 5.0 with tow package. So far we have looked at the Coachman Catalina 261BHS and the Salem Cruise Lite 263BHXL. We will mostly be camping in Missouri and surrounding states, with the possibility of a longer trip.

Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations.
12 REPLIES 12

Davo7
Explorer
Explorer
D-C-Johnson wrote:
Check this floor plan out, we are soon to be purchasing this, it is 31 ft nose to tail and as it sits on the lot it weighs 5200lb, the only down side is the master queen is a rv queen and only 75in long but using an extender pushes it to 80in cheep fix other than that very roomy unit low weight.
http://www.crrvc.com/listings/coachmen-apex-288bhs/

D-C, We also just bought from CRRVC, and had a great experience. Good luck with your purchase!!!!
2016 F350 SRW 6.7 4x4 FX4
2017 Solaire 316RLTS
2002 Jayco Eagle 300 (bought 8/04)(Sold!!)
Nervous wife
Beautiful 23 yr old Daughter
Spastic dog
A tremendous love for the outdoors.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Riverside line of TT's. They have many different quality built units. Riverside.net

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at their line. The have TT with sildes, without slides, retro look, not retro, bed you can walk around, bunk beds; they have a full line of TT's and the factory is in Lagrange, IN.

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
Check this floor plan out, we are soon to be purchasing this, it is 31 ft nose to tail and as it sits on the lot it weighs 5200lb, the only down side is the master queen is a rv queen and only 75in long but using an extender pushes it to 80in cheep fix other than that very roomy unit low weight.
http://www.crrvc.com/listings/coachmen-apex-288bhs/
David,Christy and our three sons
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get beyond the floorplan, exterior finish and glitz & glitter decision, look at the workmanship, hardware and how well it's thought out. I think that creates real brand loyalty. Don't be sold on a less expensive identical model TT on another lot until you look at that particular unit. In your area, you'll probably be more concerned with cooling the inside, not warming it, so 2 A/C's are not out of the question. Moving from tent camping to campers will overwhelm you at first, but try to imagine how it will work in it's 5th year. I think you've already seen most TT have the same basic luxuries, just arranged in different locations and decor. Even the lite weights are getting well outfitted.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter has 4 kids under 8. They have a Jayco 287BHSW. 2 double bunks and lot's of space !

Those double bunks are too small for kids over 12-14.

I think the 294QBSW can be order WITHOUT the outside kitchen and you will get 4 individual bunks.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trailer with a similar floorplan to the Salem Cruise. A few quick comments:

1) Check out the mattress size on the front bed. If the Coachmen has a short mattress, you will likely end up putting a full length mattress on it. Then you may have an issue getting to the far side of the bed. The Salem has access to both sides of the bed so a longer mattress won't be a problem.

2) The access door to the bunk storage on the Coachmen is great. Make sure the Salem has that option too. Also, make sure you change the lock on this door as soon as you get it. Almost all storage locks are keyed the same and anyone will have access to the inside of your trailer if you don't change this lock.

3) We have the rear bathroom door like the Salem. We find we rarely use it though. Now I would much rather have the outside kitchen instead of this door.

4) Take a good look at the inside storage. That's one of the most important parts that some manufacturers have been cheaping out on to save costs. Based on the floorplan, it looks like the Salem has a separate wardrobe for the kids clothes but the Coachmen only has a pantry. Not sure where the kids clothes go in the Coachmen.

5) The Salem has two grey tanks so you won't fill your galley tank with shower water.

6) We tow a heavier trailer with a F150 3.5 Ecoboost and have no problems.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like Dutchman said spend some time in it, with the people that will normally go, and then think if there were a couple more.

Make the couch, and table into a bed, and see if you can get around to the bath room etc. We really like our camper, we noticed some things after a use or two, they weren't deal breakers, but might be for some.

One of the things we don't like is caused by 2 things we do like. We have a trifold sofa that makes a pretty good bed, and we have an L shaped kitchen counter that we like. the problem is when the couch is made into a bed the end of the bed is under the overhang of the counter. So if the bed is in use, you have to do the limbo to get to the bathroom.

We don't use the couch as a bed regularly, only when we have 8+ people which is rare. If we used it nightly it would be an issue.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Jason234
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Someone else will chime in on your tow vehicle. I'm not going there.

Great suggestions! Thank you. I have been doing a ton of research on towing with a 1/2 ton truck and the opinions are all over the place. I have towed a 26' TT with it one time before and it did great. Thanks!

Jason234
Explorer
Explorer
twxsby89 wrote:
I have a Coachmen, and we love it. 3 daughters, and they love their bunks.
We ordered ours from the factory, and one thing I regret not getting is a ladder. Too late now, Forest River tells me that I don't have the support to mount one. I could have, had I known to ask when it was still being built.
We've had ours just over 1 year, and are still happy.
The Coachmen looks great on Table Rock Lake by the way.

We love Table Rock! Thanks for the info. We really like the Coachman at this point but there is so much out there to see.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have narrowed down your choice of campers, go to their respective dealerships and spend some time in those units. I don't mean just go in, take a look and go home. I mean spend a couple or even 3 hours inside it. Bring along a DVD and pop it in the player and sit and watch TV a while. Look around, lay on the bed, open all the cabinets. AND have the dealer retract the slides and then spend 15 minutes in it, doing the same thing. This will tell you a lot, that only you can learn by yourself. Make sure you sit on the potty with the door closed. Men have different reactions than women ... trust me! Make sure it's comfortable for the guys! (really!) You'll see what I mean when you try it!

Someone else will chime in on your tow vehicle. I'm not going there.

Either camper will serve you well, if you are prepared to take care of it and maintain it. That's the #1 secret to having a "good" camper opposed to a "bad" camper... how well the owner maintains it!

It can't be emphasized enough for you to learn EVERYTHING about your intended camper. Where are the dump valves, how does it heat and perform in the winter, cold weather, where is the water pump? Does it have a winterizing kit already installed on the water pump? Where are the electric and water connections? Are they easily accessed on the outside with slides in and out? The dump valves are they under the slides when out? or off to the side, front or back, or middle. Find the fuses? Easy to access if slides are out or in? Kitchen accessible with slides out or in? Bathroom?

Lay one bed, move around. Is the fabric on the mattress sound? Most RV have inadequate mattresses. They are usually the very first modification folks make, they toss out the old mattress and get a new one. Your's will probably be no different. But if the camper has bunks, those are not so easy to exchange or replace.

Dinette? Convert in into a bed? Bunks? have the kids crawl up in them, then YOU crawl up in them. Claustrophobic? If so, it won't be comfortable for the kids either.

The only way you can know what you are getting is to spend time in it. Don't let the salesmen bully you. If you are serious about purchasing, he won't like it, but he won't stop you if you want to spend the time in it first.

Most of all, have fun in your search!

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coachmen, and we love it. 3 daughters, and they love their bunks.
We ordered ours from the factory, and one thing I regret not getting is a ladder. Too late now, Forest River tells me that I don't have the support to mount one. I could have, had I known to ask when it was still being built.
We've had ours just over 1 year, and are still happy.
The Coachmen looks great on Table Rock Lake by the way.
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert