cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pump and filter for filling fresh water tank

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Im mostly using my camper in the wild around lakes and rivers that ive been drinking the water from since im kid.

Theres 4 of us and we need a full tank of fresh water to make sure we got enough (55gal) for our 4 days trips, thats about 450 pounds that i could maybe avoid to carry for hundreds of miles on rough roads.

Id like to make a pumping setup with a filter to make sure nothing get inside the tank but water.

Does someone have that kind of setup or any ideas of what pump/filters would work just nice ?

I dont mind starting the generator to run a 110v pump if thats makes the process a lot faster then a 12v pump

Thx.
15 REPLIES 15

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for the answers guys.

Your setup is great rickjo, its a bit too much for what i need,
But your pictures gave me a good idea of what im gonna do.

Thanks for sharing.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are handy with piping, you can re-plumb your camper to pump directly from the lake into system, without filling up the tank.
I did that on my conversion when in Mexico campground supplied salty water, when I wanted to save water in the tank for better uses.
In bus storage bay I had one of those 4- outlets garden manifolds and series of short hoses that I could reroute between 2 tanks, pump and city water.
The campground water had poor pressure, so I plumb it to go via pump for boost.
Had no neighbors close by to complain about vacuum in water faucets ๐Ÿ˜‰

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

Thats snazzy. I like it. I can understand your water concerns. Last time I hunted in New Mexico for Mule Deer north of Rosewell and east of White Sands, our guide told us under no circumstances drink the raw water that was in the containment tanks that fed the cattle watering stations without using a Life Straw or some type of membrane filter. I just passed and carried bottled water. No way was I about to get Montezuma's Revenge. The lodge cooking (we had a Mexican chef) was wicked enough.

The ceramic filter should, in theory, pull most of the cysts and micro organisms out but you need to pull the filter after every use and clean and bleach it. That stuff multiplies if left on the filter.

I use our well water to fill my FW tank (it gets tested yearly by the health department and always passes but I add a bit of H2O2 to kill anything, just in case. Municipal water isn't available out here.

Would it be possible to add a list of suppliers where you sourced your components?

Long time ago, but looks like daltonusa.com still has similar choices for filtering.

Yes have to keep ceramic filter very clean. Our SW New Mexico municipal water is fabulous stuff so I always start out with a full tank of our precious stuff.

As for drinking, yes, but I want to be able to shower and not worry about what gets into our mouths. Also, why put contaminated water in the tank and have to bleach the heck out of it afterword.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Bourbon is 60% water.

That's why I drink good Polish vodka.
It is only 50%
No bacteria gurantee.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Not enough space to list all the stuff I've eaten, inhaled, and drank. I worked in the largest petrochemical plant in Houston for 35 years. I know all of them....VCM, BPA, Benzene, Butadiene, etc.
But I don't drink RV tank water. Jeez a case or two of bottled water will last for 4 days easy. Bourbon is 60% water.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
My dad wan an analytical chemist and kept a big plastic jar of Mercury on the shelf. As a kid I played with the 'noble metal' that is liquid at room temperature myself and we used to beat on the asbestos pipe wrap in school to make it 'snow' and I'm still here too. I worked many years a a paint shop foreman for an electronics cabinet maker and the routine coating, besides electro deposition coating was catalyized polyurethane which is loaded with isocynates... I'm still kicking....and I smoke too.

I have no idea how you would test for micro organisms. I would say change the filters when instructed and call it good (other than investing in a microscope and coating a slide with the water and looking...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My father, being electrician in the past was playing with Mercury in palm of his hands, I in my younger years I was hacksawing asbestos and sucking (leaded) gasoline hose with my mouth.
But that doesn't mean we will live till 120
After our recent movement to Las Vegas - we have been told that the city has high ratio of death between cats and dogs >>> due to them drinking city water.
I am using one of those drip filters, what sure suppose to clear all the nasty stuff and I do have counter when to replace the cartridge.
But how do I really know the water comes at the end with no bacteria?
On my visit in Mexico I had bottled water from US, but one time bought ice at local place.
Was lying sick for 24 hr and took me 3 days to recover.
The DO FILTER ice water in Mexico.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
...Of course we will hear about the negatives of using a non NSF approved hose but I'm here to tell everyone that I was drinking hose water forever and I'm still (mostly) around.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
rickjo wrote:
Here is my filter setup. I keep it in the basement drawer. I also made an adapter to plug into the 12v socket that lets me use a normal extension cord to place the filter array closer to the water source.

Rick

Thats snazzy. I like it. I can understand your water concerns. Last time I hunted in New Mexico for Mule Deer north of Rosewell and east of White Sands, our guide told us under no circumstances drink the raw water that was in the containment tanks that fed the cattle watering stations without using a Life Straw or some type of membrane filter. I just passed and carried bottled water. No way was I about to get Montezuma's Revenge. The lodge cooking (we had a Mexican chef) was wicked enough.

The ceramic filter should, in theory, pull most of the cysts and micro organisms out but you need to pull the filter after every use and clean and bleach it. That stuff multiplies if left on the filter.

I use our well water to fill my FW tank (it gets tested yearly by the health department and always passes but I add a bit of H2O2 to kill anything, just in case. Municipal water isn't available out here.

Would it be possible to add a list of suppliers where you sourced your components?
2015 Backpack SS1500

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
If you got the generator, I would go with a 120v pump. Moves much more water and don't drain your batteries.i got one from harbor freight that's been using to transfer water for a couple years now
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my filter setup. I keep it in the basement drawer. I also made an adapter to plug into the 12v socket that lets me use a normal extension cord to place the filter array closer to the water source.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something like this what you had in mind? (youtube)
12 Volt water pump, Shurflo pump and Water Filter for filling RV tanks
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a regular 12 volt rv fresh water pump and a 50ft garden hose. cut the garden hose in half and connected either cut end to the pump and one end of the hose goes in stream of water (I just use the small metal screen that is used in washing machine hoses to keep debris out) and the other end of the hose goes to a tank in my truck. I connect the pump to battery on truck with alligator clips to fill tank and reverse process into rv fresh water tank. will add bleach and use for showers, etc. drinking and cooking water is via bottle water. This way I carry a "spare" fresh water pump at all times ๐Ÿ™‚

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
You can do it with filters. It will just take some time.

I haven't tried anything like this on this scale, but when I backpack I use a filter to purify my drinking water. I say go for it. You'll find a way, as long as you know it will take time.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB