Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SMART TV IS IT WORTH THE CHANGE ?

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I am going to update our 32" tv in the trailer.

Is it worth it to go with a smart tv in a trailer?

Thanks
Clandeboye , Manitoba
52 REPLIES 52

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, the TV's image quality and sound quality are the most important features.

The "smart" capability of the TV doesn't give you anything more than the Roku (or other similar devices) gives you.

And often, the external device works better (hence the reason people with smart tv's connect a Roku to it).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
westend wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
westend wrote:
FWIW, I haven't tried Roku, yet, because I know how addictive streaming can be. These device's main attribute, IMO, is convenience and for that, I'm not willing to pay monthly fees.

There is no monthly fee for Roku. There are free channels available and you can access your Amazon, Netflix, Hulu accounts through Roku if you have them.

Thanks. Hadn't looked into it enough to know but assumed there was a monthly charge. They just give these devices out free, then? We have a Netflix account but the Kids use it, mostly.

You buy the device just like you buy your TV (but a lot cheaper). What streaming services you access through it is dependent upon your preferences. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix accounts so I can use the Roku to watch those. I don't have a Hulu account so I can't access that through Roku.

Then Roku offers a selection of "free channels". Some, like PBS offer a selection of their on air programming. Some, offer older B movies (like the horror channel) with commercials. Some are just filled with advertisements for their premium channels (like the History Channel).
Thanks, again, for the schoolin'!
So, what SVCJeff stated previous about the picture quality and speaker features being more important, rings true when thinking about a purchase.

FWIW, this was my last screen purchase: A Forum member posted that he had upgraded from his CRT in his Coach. He bought a 32" LED/LCD Magnavox and was happy. I went to my local Sam's club, looked around to see which had better picture quality. The Magnavox was towards the high end. I grabbed a box, paid, and left. Turns out this Magnavox (32ME402VF7) has the lowest current draw in it's class. Nice for boondocking amp-squeezers like myself.
I made an antenna from a design I found on the Web and I get all the local channels out to about 40-50 mi, depending on terrain.

At some point, I'll make my old Starcraft smarter and install a small computer I have with a touch screen. Nearly everything electric in the trailer can be monitored with a wireless connection. That may also be a good time to try out the Roku device.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Community Alumni
Not applicable
austinjenna wrote:

My Sony tv is about 8-9 yrs old and I have never had a software update to the tv or the apps and everything works fine.

That means that the services have not experienced a major change on the back end. However if there was a change and the app isn't updated then it will cease to work.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
westend wrote:
FWIW, I haven't tried Roku, yet, because I know how addictive streaming can be. These device's main attribute, IMO, is convenience and for that, I'm not willing to pay monthly fees.

There is no monthly fee for Roku. There are free channels available and you can access your Amazon, Netflix, Hulu accounts through Roku if you have them.

Thanks. Hadn't looked into it enough to know but assumed there was a monthly charge. They just give these devices out free, then? We have a Netflix account but the Kids use it, mostly.

You buy the device just like you buy your TV (but a lot cheaper). What streaming services you access through it is dependent upon your preferences. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix accounts so I can use the Roku to watch those. I don't have a Hulu account so I can't access that through Roku.

Then Roku offers a selection of "free channels". Some, like PBS offer a selection of their on air programming. Some, offer older B movies (like the horror channel) with commercials. Some are just filled with advertisements for their premium channels (like the History Channel).

westend
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
westend wrote:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
When Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc decide to change their connection or authentication standards, outdated versions of the app no longer function. The outdated app isn't able to connect using the new standard so it becomes nonfunctional. Sometimes even the TV's own internal browser is blocked from viewing content on websites because the browser doesn't meet the current standard. Sometimes the TV manufacturer or the service itself abandons the development of the app. When these things happen, and it happens often, the consumer is left out in the cold. Having a smart TV is really convenient, but you're really dependent on continued support from the manufacturer or the services themselves.

My Sony tv is about 8-9 yrs old and I have never had a software update to the tv or the apps and everything works fine.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:

westend
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
austinjenna wrote:
Once that happens (and it DOES) your "smart" features will cease to work, leaving the TV a non smart TV that you paid a premium price for features no longer functioning..

Just because the manufacturer is not 'updating' the tv does not mean all the smart apps wont work, you have other problems then.

When Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc decide to change their connection or authentication standards, outdated versions of the app no longer function. The outdated app isn't able to connect using the new standard so it becomes nonfunctional. Sometimes even the TV's own internal browser is blocked from viewing content on websites because the browser doesn't meet the current standard. Sometimes the TV manufacturer or the service itself abandons the development of the app. When these things happen, and it happens often, the consumer is left out in the cold. Having a smart TV is really convenient, but you're really dependent on continued support from the manufacturer or the services themselves.
This would be true for any streaming devices used with the screen but not necessarily with the Smart TV, itself. Most mfgs of Smart TV's upgrade firmware occasionally.
A lot of the discussion above is centered around the software run on the TV, not the basic hardware interface. There are a variety of hardware configurations and a buyer should be aware of how the TV is configured (802.11ac, for example).

As I posted above, a range extender (wifi repeater) can cure a lot of ills with the Smart TV's signal sharing. There is no monthly fee with such a device and RV'ers, who mostly use antenna HDTV or campground cable, will still be able to receive broadcast signal with no monthly fees. FWIW, I haven't tried Roku, yet, because I know how addictive streaming can be. These device's main attribute, IMO, is convenience and for that, I'm not willing to pay monthly fees.

Good guide for Smart TV's: Tom's Hardware guide to Smart TV's
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Community Alumni
Not applicable
austinjenna wrote:
Once that happens (and it DOES) your "smart" features will cease to work, leaving the TV a non smart TV that you paid a premium price for features no longer functioning..

Just because the manufacturer is not 'updating' the tv does not mean all the smart apps wont work, you have other problems then.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
boosTT wrote:
I wouldn't buy another non-smart tv. They will be obsolete eventually.

Not sure I get the logic of this. Everything will be "obsolete" eventually, especially in electronics. Should we never buy anything because it will be obsolete eventually?

Reminds me of my ex-BIL - he waited 10 years to buy a dSLR because every year there was some new advancement and he was afraid his purchase would be obsolete. During that 10 years, I was happily taking thousands of photos while he spent his time waiting... in the end, I improved my photo taking skills while his atrophied.

TVs and cameras, not the same thing.

I think what boosTT was getting at is the SMART part (which is your streaming lifeline) will eventually become obsolete when the MANUFACTURER of said smart TV decides they no longer wish to UPDATE the "SMART" portion of said TV..

There is no written laws that state the manufacturer must continue to update the smart functions. Streaming services are constantly changing and updating their software/security.. This means any manufacturer must also keep pace with those streaming services, if they don't you will no longer be able to use those services..

I have seen lots of Internet streaming devices over the years that have been abandoned by the manufacturer from streaming radio stations to streaming video.. It does happen and will continue to happen.

Personally, I am a fan of EXTERNAL devices so if the TV quits I can replace it with any TV.. And if the streaming device quits I can replace just the streaming device..

Buy a TV with better screen quality and not worry about the smart features.. And if you want streaming buy a external streaming device..

He stated that he would NOT buy a non-smart TV. So I think you've reversed his argument.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you live in an area without decent internet service, a "Smart" TV is just as dumb as a non-smart one. If there is no internet, or wi-fi available, what use is a "smart" tv. What will one do more than a non-smart one, other than cost more??
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
boosTT wrote:

Not sure I get the logic of this. Everything will be "obsolete" eventually, especially in electronics. Should we never buy anything because it will be obsolete eventually?

Reminds me of my ex-BIL - he waited 10 years to buy a dSLR because every year there was some new advancement and he was afraid his purchase would be obsolete. During that 10 years, I was happily taking thousands of photos while he spent his time waiting... in the end, I improved my photo taking skills while his atrophied.

TVs and cameras, not the same thing.

I think what boosTT was getting at is the SMART part (which is your streaming lifeline) will eventually become obsolete when the MANUFACTURER of said smart TV decides they no longer wish to UPDATE the "SMART" portion of said TV..

There is no written laws that state the manufacturer must continue to update the smart functions. Streaming services are constantly changing and updating their software/security.. This means any manufacturer must also keep pace with those streaming services, if they don't you will no longer be able to use those services..

I have seen lots of Internet streaming devices over the years that have been abandoned by the manufacturer from streaming radio stations to streaming video.. It does happen and will continue to happen.

Personally, I am a fan of EXTERNAL devices so if the TV quits I can replace it with any TV.. And if the streaming device quits I can replace just the streaming device..

Buy a TV with better screen quality and not worry about the smart features.. And if you want streaming buy a external streaming device..

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
boosTT wrote: