cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Tire ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Coming home got a slow leak in rear tow vehicle tire. Turned out the bead failed. Free replacement. My question is had I opted to install the spare TV tire on the rear would that have been OK to pull our HTT? Or is that askin too much of the sub sized tire? Could not find this topic in Kia owners book. Any thoughts?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
7 REPLIES 7

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
I have seen trailers left on the side of the road (safely from what I recall) most likely because the TV experienced some sort of issue, tire or otherwise.

I guess if it was completely unsafe, and I had no options, I would limp along with a donut. Otherwise I would find a place to unhitch and return once the issue was corrected.

Unfortunately leaving any trailer on the side of a highway without lights flashing is an invitation to disaster ... exactly why every trailer owner should carry some form of trailer lights flasher capable of flashing ALL the lights on the trailer. I built my own DIY Trailer Lights Dongle - 4 Pics primarily for clearly identifying my trailer as I back on to our driveway here at the house but of course would use it in any situation where I might be forced by circumstances to temporarily leave it along the side of a highway. Since commercial versions are readily available at retail outlets as well there's really no excuse for leaving a dead trailer on the side of the highway, without all it's lights flashing, just waiting for someone else to whack into it. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
For the rear you would definitely want to keep the WD bars on - they move weight to the front tires, reducing the wight on the rear. If it was a front tire, you'd probably want to leave them off for the same reason... (You'd also want to go very slow with flashers and get off at the first exit with a tire shop, to keep that small spare from getting too hot and to minimize the danger if it can't handle the load.)

Personally, I'd leave the trailer (if possible), get the tire replaced, then return and get the trailer. Fortunately, my Sienna has a full size spare.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes folks I really tow with a Kia and have for 80l and counting. I did not think it a great idea to use the donut to tow but guess I would at slow speed if no other options were availale. Would I keep the WD bars on?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen trailers left on the side of the road (safely from what I recall) most likely because the TV experienced some sort of issue, tire or otherwise.

I guess if it was completely unsafe, and I had no options, I would limp along with a donut. Otherwise I would find a place to unhitch and return once the issue was corrected.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those 'donut' spares are for getting the vehicle off of the road safely....less than 50 miles at reduced speed.
They are NOT intended for vehicle AND towing a trailer

BUT
If I had one (and no other options) you can bet I would slap it on and tow with it
Mainly because if a 'donut' spare is what I had then I wouldn't be towing much to begin with cause tow vehicle wouldn't have much tow capacity.

KIA towing a Bantam.....yeah I would have used the 'donut'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say no, except for maybe a very short distance, say to get off the freeway to a safe place. A space saver spare has both speed and weight limitations that should be stamped on the sidewall. Any distance towing with the space saver spare could be inviting a disaster. I've always had TVs that had full sized spares.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did I understand that you are towing with a Kia?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)