cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilization Bar

Caleb_O
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. We just bought our first TT (Rockwood Ultra Lite) and are wondering which stabilization hitch to go with. The gentleman at the dealer gave us two options - a two-way hitch (that eliminates up-down sway) and a four-way hitch (that eliminates both up-down and side-to-side). We're willing to pay extra for the four-way (such as an Equalizer), but are wondering if the difference is noticeable/worth it? The dealer said with the two-way we'd feel it when a semi passed us (and get a "white knuckle" feeling briefly), but didn't necessarily think the four-way hitch was worth the extra money. I'm curious as to what you guys think. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I'm not explaining this well or using incorrect terminology. As I mentioned, we're newbies!
38 REPLIES 38

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing my Lance 1575 with the E2 and my V8 4Runner. It tows well and except for an occasional pop or clank, it is relatively quiet. The Lance coupler is another story but I have no sway or rear-end sag on the 4Runner. I'm very happy with it so far. I'm just wondering if I should pick up a couple of extra pins- the L-shaped silver thingies that keep the bars in.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
The sales guy needs to go back to hitch training school if he's calling them "stabilization" hitches, and "2-way" or "4-way" hitches.

In many years of RVing and reading countless forums, I've never heard those terms used to describe hitches.

The Equilizer hitch literally says " 4-way" on it, the newer models even say " 4-point" , not sure what the salesman said incorrectly ?

Fred13
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting rid of my 4 point Equalizer hitch. I am tired of having parts breaking every year and having to wait 6-8 weeks for new ones. One thing Equalizer have is a good warranty. So far I have had all the brackets replace on the trailer (some more than once), the shank, the head, the pieces that the bars slide into into the head. Only thing that is original are the bars. I have been to numerous Equalizer service centers to check my set-up and found nothing wrong. When the hitch is not broken, it does works well.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Jayco 28RLS last year, I ordered a Reese HP trunion style hitch and set it up myself. It has cams integrated into the spring arms so I can add the sway control arms if I ever feel the need. I would recommend going with the Equalizer for a first timer. Wind and passing trucks can be pretty unnerving to a new tower. If the noise of the Equalizer is bothersome, a drop of oil will quiet it down and only slightly reduce its effectiveness. We've been towing something or another for almost 40 years. Never reduce tongue weight to accommodate a light tow vehicle. The results are not pretty.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Caleb O wrote:
The trailer is a Rockwood Ultra Lite.

Talk about extracting teeth! What model, what year? :h

You can't possibly select a correctly sized weight distribution system without knowing what the trailer's average gross weight may be loaded & ready to camp and therefore what it's average gross tongue weight will be. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Caleb_O
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Caleb O wrote:
The TT is 5400 pounds dry and 6600 fully loaded. I have a 150 5.4 V8. Thanks for all the comments so far!

Hey Caleb, cut to the chase. Help us out here...what travel trailer are you planning to tow? Brand and model would help a lot.

When I towed a TT I had a weight distribution and sway control setup like the one below with duel sway bars because I was towing 32'. I never left home without it.

The trailer is a Rockwood Ultra Lite.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
When I towed a TT I had a weight distribution and sway control setup like the one below with duel sway bars because I was towing 32'. I never left home without it.

No doubt you'll disagree but if that Equal-i-zer had been properly set up you wouldn't have needed to use a separate friction sway bar. After all, that's one it's main selling points as an integrated WD / sway control system. ๐Ÿ˜‰

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Caleb O wrote:
The TT is 5400 pounds dry and 6600 fully loaded. I have a 150 5.4 V8. Thanks for all the comments so far!

Hey Caleb, cut to the chase. Help us out here...what travel trailer are you planning to tow? Brand and model would help a lot.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
The fresh water tank is right in front of the axle and most of the storage is too. However, apparently the weight is well centered on this Lance. I'm leaning towards the E2 and not just a simple sway control. That will be a waste of money.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our dealer installed a Blue Ox hitch as part of the sale. I has the sway control built into the design. Every deal has their own favorite WD hitch.

We pull a 25 ft. 6200 lbs. across the scales TT with 750 lbs. on the tongue with no difficulties.

With a properly installed hitch, white knuckle situations are often a function of the driver. Some folks are bothered by truck and wind buffets other just take it as part of towing a barn behind you.

I have been forced to exit the Interstate a time or two so I could drop my speed to 30 or 35 mph. because of high winds. One time we were wind bound it a camp ground because of 60 mph gust with and 45 mph sustained winds. However these occurrences are very rare.

If you are sensitive to wind or truck buffets and you expect to tow a lot, ask the dealer if the hitch will eliminate them. Then you can decide if you want to spend the extra bucks.

Also see if you have to unhook them before you can back into the campsite.

Good Luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Caleb O wrote:
So essentially, what is the benefit of two-way friction control vs. four-way? Does the four-way really provide a more comfortable ride for double the price? Would you deem the four-way control necessary?

I already answered in my first post in this thread - of course the Equal-i-zer with four point sway control is preferable to the E2 which offers two point sway control. There's no magic here, the EQ costs more than the E2 but it's a case of getting what you pay for ... either way, Progress Mfg which manufactures the Equal-i-zer will get your $$$ anyway since Fastway which manufacturers the E2 is a wholly owned subsidiary of Progress. Keep in mind these are not sway control devices per se but rather weight distribution systems that include sway control as a function of the design as a weight distribution system. Other systems that do require the use of a separate friction sway bar do so because their design as a WD system don't have the inherent ability to control sway.

Caleb_O
Explorer
Explorer
So essentially, what is the benefit of two-way friction control vs. four-way? Does the four-way really provide a more comfortable ride for double the price? Would you deem the four-way control necessary? Thanks again for all the input!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
when fighting for payload the lesser weight is a huge advantage. as for cost I just went through this. my standard reese setup put me out 200 Canadian. another 50 for a friction sway bar and im out the door for 250 Canadian. Need to watch for deals. I picked both up off Kijiji (both new never used) and couldn't be happier. Find a deal like that for an Andersen and ill be impressed.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
... unless your filthy rich, then buy an Anderson.

Huh? :h It's Andersen ... and it isn't any more costly than an Equal-i-zer, or Blue Ox Sway Pro, or just about any WD hitch other than a Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P, neither of which anyone needs unless they have a particularly large, heavy trailer. If the Andersen offers any noticeable advantage it's lack of weight, being much lighter than pretty well any other WD system.