jensenst
Explorer
Explorer
What type tires do I need for a trip to Alaska
29 REPLIES 29

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a set of GY Endurance 225/75-15 LRE from Discount Tire Direct for $105 each and a Presidents Day Sale rebate Visa card of $100. Final cost is $80 each with free shipping. Best deal I found by far.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Kuhmo Radial 857

I have been using these for the past 3 years and have been quite pleased. They weren't cheap, but I felt it was worth it I I haven't been disappointed.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
I just went with the Goodyear Endurance I just mounted them the sidewall is much more robust than the trailer king sidewall.I am impressed with the Goodyear so far
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jensenst wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:
Those that won't blow out for no apparent reason. ๐Ÿ˜›

Many of us are now giving the recently introduced US manufactured Goodyear Endurance tires a try.

Pop-Pop C wrote:
They haven't been made yet.

And therein lies the rub ... any tire, no matter how well made, will still have some potential for failure so the best you can do is make your best educated guess as to which particular tire is least likely to fail in the scenario in which you intend to use it. For an increasing number of us that tire is currently the recently introduced, US manufactured Goodyear Endurance which is available in the size the OP requires in the Load Range D size and is certainly an improvement over his current Load Range C off shore manufactured tires.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Pop-Pop C wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
jensenst wrote:

Many of us are now giving the recently introduced US manufactured Goodyear Endurance tires a try.

Uh......... I've had goodyear endurance on my trailer since last july!!!! and they were introduced BEFORE THAT.

and actually I've put over 75K miles on two trailers and my neighbor close to 150K miles on his gooseneck and NEITHER of us has had a TT blow out. With a TPMS we each have caught a nail in the tire BEFORE it went flat.

and our daughters In-laws have had Trailers for 25 years or more, do lots of traveling and they have yet to have a flat, let alone a blowout.

Of all our camper friends, only 1 has had a blowout.

Can it happen, yes, no doubt, more common than on Tow vehicles, likely.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
jensenst wrote:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at Provider ST tires....Goodyear Endurance ST tire ..... Carlisle HD ST tire in that order.
Provider ST are the oldest of the new gen higher speed rated tire having come out in the late '10 era. Very popular on haulers websites and work great on RV trailers also.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
jensenst wrote:
my tire size is 205 75 r14 trailer weights 4000lbs
JMO - Goodyear Endurance ST205/75 R14 - same tires I'm running. :B
+1 and Perfect for Alaska

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Here is a crazy idea -- has anyone tried putting "all terrain" type truck tires on a trailer? (I am currently using Endurance, which seem fine so far.) Here is the reason I ask: my truck came with BF Goodrich "Rugged Trail" tires. I got a flat when bumping over sharp volcanic rock.

I then switched to the BFG "All Terrain" type -- very thick and aggressive tread. Since then, no more punctures, even on really bad surfaces.

So if those big bad knobbies are good for my truck on really bad roads, could they work on a trailer?? (There must be a reason I have never seen those on a trailer . . . .)

In 14" and 15" size, there are virtually NO LRD let alone LRE LT tires available. they are LRC at best with a very few possible exceptions.

So unless the trailer is reasonably light, finding a truck tire that will carry the load is hard if not impossible.

Now once, one goes to 16" another story. LRE is common for LT tires.

Now for the OP.

1) make sure your tires are in very good shape and not very old. If not, get new ones.
2) install a TPMS. this will catch a slow leak BEFORE it turns into a blowout. Won't do much for a instant blowout from a rock puncture etc. but likely will save you from a blowout you could have prevented.
3) consider carrying two spares.
4) If you get new tires consider going up in LR if possible and the largest size that can fit.
5) I and my neighbors have had very good experience with Maxxis tires. No blowouts etc. and we have worn through many a set. But when my last set wore out, I did replace them with the Goodyear Endurance. Time will tell, but they look to be equal or better than the Maxxis and amazingly a lower price.

Oh, and make sure your TV tires are in good shape with a good spare as well!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jensenst wrote:

JMO - Goodyear Endurance ST205/75 R14 - same tires I'm running. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

jensenst
Explorer
Explorer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a crazy idea -- has anyone tried putting "all terrain" type truck tires on a trailer? (I am currently using Endurance, which seem fine so far.) Here is the reason I ask: my truck came with BF Goodrich "Rugged Trail" tires. I got a flat when bumping over sharp volcanic rock.

I then switched to the BFG "All Terrain" type -- very thick and aggressive tread. Since then, no more punctures, even on really bad surfaces.

So if those big bad knobbies are good for my truck on really bad roads, could they work on a trailer?? (There must be a reason I have never seen those on a trailer . . . .)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Endurance and Carlisle HD both have been out just over a year so its too early to see how reliable they will be (years and miles of service).
However both tires look to be a vast improvement over what they replaced.

Over 30 rv website member have reported issues with Maxxis ST8008 but overall they probably are the most popular of the ST class tires for all types of trailers. Their a bit dated at 65 mph and not all sizes has the nylon overlay. JMO but to compete Maxxis will have to step it up.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would consider upgrading to LT tires if possible. I had to lift my suspension 2" to go from 15" ST to 16" LT tires but it was worth it for durability and longevity. If that's not possible then go with Maxxis or new Goodyear Endurance brands.