shail
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I purchased a kz 18rbt
dry weight 2696 lbs
dry hitch weight 336 lbs
gvwr 3500 lbs.

I was wondering if a 2017 pathfinder would be able to safely tow this.
pathfinder gcwr 10000 lbs , gvwr 65986 lbs.

I am a little worried about the low payload capacity (1149 lbs)
we are a family of 5 ( 2 adults 3 children)

Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
Based on what you are looking for, the Acadia/Traverse would probably be a good tow vehicle. If you didn't have a family, your original thought of the Pathfinder might work, but once you add everyone's weight that is pushing it (like others have already said).

So how can you determine if a vehicle would be suitable as a TV?
My understanding from this thread is that looking at the capacity numbers plus taking some extra margin is never enough?

There are those who seem to be over cautious and don't want to pull anything with anything less than a full sized truck. I have a 2000ish LB pop-up (empty), when shopping I was looking at pop-ups that would run 1400-2500 dry and 2000-3000 loaded. Many people suggested I get nothing less than a midsized V6 pickup, and some suggested that wouldn't be enough and suggested only full sized pickups and truck based SUVs (and believe it or not, I got 2 or 3 who recommended a 3/4 ton pickup). Some people have the money for a dedicated tow vehicle. Others have the luxury of a short commute. I needed something that would be a daily driver and meet all my needs, and I put at least 20K miles a year on my vehicles.

However, do keep in mind that the published numbers are basically a best case scenario. They used to be based just on a 150LB driver, though I think they now also include a 150LB passenger. Anything additional in the vehicle (passengers and gear) have to be subtracted from the tow rating. And of course, the tow rating can be quite unrealistic for a family when you consider the payload capacity and tongue weight. Further, all those numbers are based upon driving on level terrain at sea level. Any higher elevation, and your real limits are lower. Any incline, and your limits are lower. So, while some people are overly cautious (IMO), you do want a nice cushion in your numbers and you really don't want to push things out to the limit.

I think the Acadia/Traverse family you seem to like are a good option. You may also want to take a look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango. They are similar in price to the Acadia/Traverse, but have the more capable body on frame truck style frame.
Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Explorer Sport with the 3.5 EcoBoost and I love it. We use it sometimes to pull a 14' flat bed Big Tex trailer with our RZR on it, and it works just fine. Slightly different than an actual camper, but it does OK. Previously we had a 12' enclosed trailer and it was fine for that too. I'd say it's around 3500lbs loaded up. Capacity on the Explorer is 5,000.

The in laws tow a 24' Jayco (don't know the model, sorry) with their Sequoia and it does just fine.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to stick with an SUV I'd highly recommend the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The V6 would pull that trailer without any trouble.
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
shail wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
shail wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
This is in the category of "I know someone who....". But really, my buddy tows a similar bumper pull with a GMC Terrain Denali (the small crossover). I've gone camping with him a few times, he went camping about 15 times last year with that setup, a couple times already this year. He does it and thinks it's just fine, but he's never pulled anything in his life. Just like my first setup was a 2003 GMC 1500HD with the 6.0 and pulling 9,000 pounds. I didn't know any better (hence the overkill with a diesel pulling 7,000 pounds now, and my next ride will be a 1 ton.)

Now he does have a family of 4 and he's right at the max tow rating so I'm sure he's over the payload. I don't recommend it and I wouldn't do it, but I'm saying people do. I have towed 2,000 pounds behind the wife's old Buick Enclave, basically a sled deck with 2 quads on it, and it did fine there. But I couldn't imagine pulling a camper with it.

If you want an SUV, I'd seriously look into the Yukon/Tahoe or Sequoia size rigs. Yes they are bigger and drink more fuel, but towing you'll be much happier.

Yukon/Tahoe/Sequoia would be great, I've actually been looking at them but they are a lot more expensive.
I plan to tow a maximum of 3500 lbs (empty tanks) not more than 6 times a year up to 300 miles.
The traverse/Acadia have a 5200/600 lbs capacity with an available payload of 1454 lbs. Its not perfect, but what am I missing? Its not close to pushing the limit. The terrain's capacity is 3500 lbs just like my Toyota Venza... I would never do what your friend is doing.

Right, to each their own. Like I said, my next rig will be a 1 ton which is way overkill. Tho the 1 ton is basically the same price as 3/4 ton, so it's a little different that you stepping up to a Yukon. But I've learned over the years of my 500 mile trips in one day, "I have to much truck" said no one ever. My Enclave was a 2009, so I'm not sure if they've upped the tow limits from then. But i wouldn't tow more than a few miles with 3,500 pounds of a camper hooked up. Of course my step dad towed his 4,500 pound bumper pull from Indiana down through New Mexico on the way up to Seattle, with a 2006 Tacoma. Another thing I'd never do.

Reality is, it's up to you as if it's within the limits, then I'd say go for it. Just don't be surprised if you are unhappy towing close to that limit.

I am just not experienced to know the difference between towing 3500 lbs with a traverse/acadia vs a tahoe/seqoiua.
How would the towing experience differ?
In terms of safety and the ride itself.
Thanks again.
s

If it's flat roads and no wind and such, you'll be just fine. I often tow in heavy wind and high elevations so I Will always have a much higher capacity rig than needed. That's me personally, I really stretched my budget 6 years ago when I bought this Duramax. And I have not regretted it for one second and now it's basically paid off. But again, many people tow right to the limits and it works for them. I would test drive both and see which one you feel more comfortable in and go from there.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

shail
Explorer
Explorer
So how can you determine if a vehicle would be suitable as a TV?
My understanding from this thread is that looking at the capacity numbers plus taking some extra margin is never enough?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Think of it like carrying a piece of wood in the wind. Try 10 mph winds.
Grab a 4'x8'x1/2" piece pf plywood and carry it around the front yard. Feel how you move around and how it's harder to keep going straight?
Now grab a 2'x4'x1/2" piece of plywood and do the same thing. It's easier.
That's the difference between the Traverse and Tahoe. The Traverse will have harder time controlling the TT than the Tahoe.
Might be a goof analogy but not sure how to give an example to someone who's never towed.

shail
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
shail wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
This is in the category of "I know someone who....". But really, my buddy tows a similar bumper pull with a GMC Terrain Denali (the small crossover). I've gone camping with him a few times, he went camping about 15 times last year with that setup, a couple times already this year. He does it and thinks it's just fine, but he's never pulled anything in his life. Just like my first setup was a 2003 GMC 1500HD with the 6.0 and pulling 9,000 pounds. I didn't know any better (hence the overkill with a diesel pulling 7,000 pounds now, and my next ride will be a 1 ton.)

Now he does have a family of 4 and he's right at the max tow rating so I'm sure he's over the payload. I don't recommend it and I wouldn't do it, but I'm saying people do. I have towed 2,000 pounds behind the wife's old Buick Enclave, basically a sled deck with 2 quads on it, and it did fine there. But I couldn't imagine pulling a camper with it.

If you want an SUV, I'd seriously look into the Yukon/Tahoe or Sequoia size rigs. Yes they are bigger and drink more fuel, but towing you'll be much happier.

Yukon/Tahoe/Sequoia would be great, I've actually been looking at them but they are a lot more expensive.
I plan to tow a maximum of 3500 lbs (empty tanks) not more than 6 times a year up to 300 miles.
The traverse/Acadia have a 5200/600 lbs capacity with an available payload of 1454 lbs. Its not perfect, but what am I missing? Its not close to pushing the limit. The terrain's capacity is 3500 lbs just like my Toyota Venza... I would never do what your friend is doing.

Right, to each their own. Like I said, my next rig will be a 1 ton which is way overkill. Tho the 1 ton is basically the same price as 3/4 ton, so it's a little different that you stepping up to a Yukon. But I've learned over the years of my 500 mile trips in one day, "I have to much truck" said no one ever. My Enclave was a 2009, so I'm not sure if they've upped the tow limits from then. But i wouldn't tow more than a few miles with 3,500 pounds of a camper hooked up. Of course my step dad towed his 4,500 pound bumper pull from Indiana down through New Mexico on the way up to Seattle, with a 2006 Tacoma. Another thing I'd never do.

Reality is, it's up to you as if it's within the limits, then I'd say go for it. Just don't be surprised if you are unhappy towing close to that limit.

I am just not experienced to know the difference between towing 3500 lbs with a traverse/acadia vs a tahoe/seqoiua.
How would the towing experience differ?
In terms of safety and the ride itself.
Thanks again.
s

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
shail wrote:
2001400ex wrote:

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 3800# net weight Lance 1685 with a 2006 Toyota 4 Runner 6 cyl, rated for 5,000 lbs. with no problem - had the extra transmission cooler, external brake controller, WDH & sway bars. When it came time to update the tow vehicle we opted for a 2016 Toyota Tundra (I would have preferred a GMC Canyon Diesel but my other half objected). For less money than a 4 Runner, we now have a vehicle that we can't feel our trailer behind. The 4 Runner did fine, but out west, headed up long or steep grades (and otherwise) we could always feel the trailer behind. It sure feels good to be safer with the overall rig ... just one person's experience...
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
shail wrote:

Nothing at all wrong with the Traverse. My brother has one and it tows 4000+ lb regularly. And, it is a great vehicle for the 98% of the time when it is not used as a tow vehicle. Great choice, and no CVT to worry about.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

shail
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer

shail
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
Better choices out there then the Nissan with the CVT transmission. Look at the Toyota 4Runner or another type of SUV based on a small truck platform. Something with body on frame. Most others are just crossover types and use transmissions that won't last long pulling a small camper. Just my experiences in the past. Years ago Nissan made some really good small trucks and of course the original pathfinder which was a body on frame SUV based on a truck. But now looking at their newer SUVs I see they have pretty much all become crossover type vehicles with CVT transmissions. That's why I simply don't care for them. But that just my opinion and don't mean to offend anybody that has or like them. So go with an SUV based on a small truck type chassis. Or as another poster said a midsized truck would really be a better choice. The GM twins or the Tacoma.

I went to check out the 4runner yesterday and was disappointed with the really low payload capacity. I dont remember the exact numbers from the max cargo and occupant sticker but it wasn't workable.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Better choices out there then the Nissan with the CVT transmission. Look at the Toyota 4Runner or another type of SUV based on a small truck platform. Something with body on frame. Most others are just crossover types and use transmissions that won't last long pulling a small camper. Just my experiences in the past. Years ago Nissan made some really good small trucks and of course the original pathfinder which was a body on frame SUV based on a truck. But now looking at their newer SUVs I see they have pretty much all become crossover type vehicles with CVT transmissions. That's why I simply don't care for them. But that just my opinion and don't mean to offend anybody that has or like them. So go with an SUV based on a small truck type chassis. Or as another poster said a midsized truck would really be a better choice. The GM twins or the Tacoma.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.