cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Wheel load rating

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
The back of my trailer wheels have two "max load" ratings listed. I believe one was 2150 lbs and the other was 2840 lbs. There was no other explanation on the wheel to indicate why there were two load ratings listed.

Any clue what the two ratings mean?

Ironically, the stock tires are Load range D which have a max rating of 2540 lbs. So, if the 2150 is the true load rating then I should only have Load Range C tires but if 2840 is correct then I could go up to Load Range E.
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel
8 REPLIES 8

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfoster711 wrote:
Walaby wrote:
So your original question really wasn't your question, since you appear to have already known why there was two numbers.

The real question is how your wheels could be mounted in a dual config?
No. My question is why two max load ratings? I suspected it might have to do with dual vs single mount but wasn't sure so I asked.

I guess we have more or less confirmed at this point the two ratings have to do with dual vs single mount.

I simply made a statement that find it a little odd that is the answer since I don't know any way to dual mount this wheel type without some type of adapter that I have never heard of. I don't need to know the answer on how to dual mount, just made a comment.

The TIRE has TWO Load Ratings because the TIRE CAN be used in 'single' or 'dual' application.

BUT it would NOT be used in a Dual Application on YOUR trailer so NO adapters to be used.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfoster711 wrote:
if 2840 is correct then I could go up to Load Range E.
This is the rating to use. Go E and air them up to 75/80 psi.

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
So your original question really wasn't your question, since you appear to have already known why there was two numbers.

No. My question is why two max load ratings? I suspected it might have to do with dual vs single mount but wasn't sure so I asked.

I guess we have more or less confirmed at this point the two ratings have to do with dual vs single mount.

I simply made a statement that find it a little odd that is the answer since I don't know any way to dual mount this wheel type without some type of adapter that I have never heard of. I don't need to know the answer on how to dual mount, just made a comment.

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfoster711 wrote:
The back of my trailer wheels have two "max load" ratings listed. I believe one was 2150 lbs and the other was 2840 lbs. There was no other explanation on the wheel to indicate why there were two load ratings listed.

Any clue what the two ratings mean?

May I suggest rephrasing the original question and providing a picture?

Sorry azdryheat and Trackrig weren't psychic and didn't realize your real question. Might have save them some time. Maybe with a picture they can answer your real question.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tire mfgs have no way of knowing how some vehicle mfg will use their tires. Remember the very old MH, looked like a min- Class C built on a Toyota frame? Toyota had dualed style offset rims made for them to fit under the camper body they built onto the back of the frame.

And JC Whitney (are they still around) used to sell dual adapters for the do-it-yourself people. I used them for running dualed tires on my Jeeps before they started building wide mud tires.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assumed the lower rating was probably for dual mounting. I am just confused how you would ever mount these wheels in a dual configuration. There would have to be some type of adapter to create space between the wheels.

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Further info on Azdryheat's answer - the lower number dual tire rating is for two tires together on the same wheel hub like you see on tractor trailers - not two axles. On your trailer you would use the single or larger rating.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The higher number is for a single wheel and the lower number is for a dually set up.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE