cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel trailer hitch

caseyhoward
Explorer
Explorer
I've been towing a bumper pull travel trailers and boats around for years I've never greased the ball on the hitch. I'm looking at stuff all over the Internet saying that you should Grease the ball on the hitch? Now you know everything on the Internet is true 🙂 So here is the question.

What do my fellow travel trailer people do grease or no grease on the ball?

PS. Before someone says we have a thread on that. I looked and couldn't find it. 😉
Irish Tinkers
23 REPLIES 23

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Balls are cheap, maybe one pair of pants or less 😉

I don't grease them, but my shins also heal

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
I grease mine. As already pointed out, weight-distributing hitches put a LOT of force on the ball, more than just the actual tongue weight. Since I got in the habit with our travel trailer and big farm trailers, I usually grease the lighter trailer balls too. It makes me feel better, but I agree that it is less necessary on the light trailers.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine lightly greased and after unhitching the trailer I just put a baggie on it so I don't get grease on me.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I only grease mine when I am trying to be sure trailer drops onto ball easily or comes off ball easier. I don't always get it perfectly aligned so a squirt of silicon will help it slide on easier. If I seems I have to jump up and down on tailgate of truck for it to come loose, I will give it a squirt.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I grease mine with Vaseline, which is easier to wash out of pants. 🙂
There was a time when I didn't grease it but the ball wore and the couple galled. It was also noisy at times. Also, a buddy who works on construction equip showed me how balls had worn through several of their trailers couplers requiring eventual replacement.

I've always greased mine. And I grease my old style round bars where the slide up in and lock in the hitch head. Much quieter operation. Usually what ever grease is around. There is no way I am able to keep it off myself for some reason as much as i try. The part about replacing the coupler on the trailer is trouble I don't need.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

caseyhoward
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback
Irish Tinkers

engine31
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I do grease my hitch ball on my trailer and on my boat hitch I have used the same hitch for boat and utility trailer for years no issues, obviously my camper trailer has a larger hitch and I grease it too without any issues.
Happy Greasing!:D

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a small tub of wheel bearing grease. I put a small dab on the ball occasionally. My ball looks like new.

Boats are different in that the tongue weight is lighter. So the pressure on the ball is less.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I grease mine. The hitch stays installed all winter. I caver the ball with one of the fitted caps. Then we don't get grease on our clothes.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I never have greased mine. My trailer is 30 YO. Hitch is fine.....so are my pants. 🙂
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I grease my hitch for the TT only. If I don't, it wears into the all quickly. I grease it about every 1,000 miles using lithium spray grease.

I don't grease any other trailer. They don't do that.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
Husky WD hitch instructions say to grease the ball.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer ball see's EXTREME high pressure when used with a WDH and enough movement and weight is on it even without a WDH.

Those who think it doesn't need lubrication have no rational thought to prove their point. Ignore them.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of drops of Mobil-1 5w-30 on the ball, trunion sockets, chain ends and suspension points before each trip. Save the rest for pancakes. Love the stuff!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'