Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I Haul on a One Ton?

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
All,

It turns out not much. I'm looking at a 2009 Ram 3500 Cummins/6Speed Manual Crew Cab SLT 4x4 SRW with a GVWR of 10,100# and a curb weight of 6,644#. That leaves me with a whooping 3,465# for a camper.

Try to find a hard side camper with a loaded weight under that. The pickings get pretty slim.

You're thoughts are welcome.

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt
53 REPLIES 53

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
From the OP, 'You answered my questions and I now have a definite direction for my TC purchase.'

The thread is closed.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
Calls out the owner of a DRW that has less GVWR than a current SRW...

...but the same axle ratings as a current DRW, a whole lot less curb weight, and as a result, a payload capacity of over 6000lbs 🙂

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
All,

Thanks for all your responses. You answered my questions and I now have a definite direction for my TC purchase. I'll post pictures in another post.

Thanks again,

Bill
TC - Still in the Hunt

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
If you are so concerned with weight and want a generator, but want to limit yourself to a short bed truck then stick with say the wolf creeks. Can get a built in generator and will still but under 3000lbs dry then get a short bed truck with over a 4,000 payload which most are. If a truck has that 4000lb payload it will have sufficient tires, rims, axle, etc.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
It is very easy to get emotional on this subject and post something you should not. please think before you post.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Bedlam
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I wouldn't blink at hauling 4-4500lbs in that truck with the right tires and suspension.

I wouldn't blink at hauling 4-4500lbs in an F150, WITH THE RIGHT TIRES AND SUSPENSION, either. Plate and box the frame, slap some full-floating 8-bolt axles, hang F350 springs under it, stick in some airbags, and put 19.5's on it. It'll handle a 4500lb camper just fine.

ANY stock F350 SRW is going to be over the rear axle rating with 4500lbs in the bed. It will need upgraded tires and suspension help for that much weight, in order to sit right and be comfortable to drive.

You "weight enablers" make it sound like the truck comes with "the right tires and suspension." It doesn't.

In some people's opinion, if you have to throw away the OEM tires and throw thousands of dollars in suspension helpers at the truck to carry the load, when the next size up truck can do it BONE STOCK, it's silly to not get the truck that can do it right out of the box. Of course that makes them "weight police."

Calls out the owner of a DRW that has less GVWR than a current SRW...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
ANY stock F350 SRW is going to be over the rear axle rating with 4500lbs in the bed. It will need upgraded tires and suspension help for that much weight, in order to sit right and be comfortable to drive.

Sorry, that's just not true but could be for the OP's rig.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
I wouldn't blink at hauling 4-4500lbs in that truck with the right tires and suspension.

I wouldn't blink at hauling 4-4500lbs in an F150, WITH THE RIGHT TIRES AND SUSPENSION, either. Plate and box the frame, slap some full-floating 8-bolt axles, hang F350 springs under it, stick in some airbags, and put 19.5's on it. It'll handle a 4500lb camper just fine.

You "weight enablers" make it sound like the truck comes with "the right tires and suspension." It doesn't.

In some people's opinion, if you have to throw away the OEM tires and throw thousands of dollars in suspension helpers at the truck to carry the load, when the next size up truck can do it BONE STOCK, it's silly to not get the truck that can do it right out of the box. Of course that makes them "weight police."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
Eugarps wrote:
Thanks to all who've responded.

I'm in the process of buying a one ton gasser and looking for an Arctic Fox 865 or a Bigfoot 25C9.4SB. That combination will work well for me, I'll post pictures, when I put the rig together later this spring. TCW has a couple of 865's but none with generators. I'll watch their inventor.

The 865 is an example of a camper Northwood was trying to phase out but the buyers kept asking for them. So, AF builds a few every year. AF responds to customer needs. Nice! That said, the AF 865 is about 12" taller than the BF 9.4SB.

Best!

Bill

The 865 used be a limited run for dealers that committed to purchasing a set quantity. There was enough demand that it is now in a regular production cycle and any dealer should be able to get one.

Note: If the 865 is like the the 811, the long bed version will not have room for the generator. Only the short bed versions of the 865 and 811 have sufficient overhang to fit the Onan. Long bed trucks need a 990 or larger if you want a built in generator. Short bed campers can fit a long bed truck, but that's another discussion...

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, in upper right side of your screen, do you see "Private Messages"? I think you have a couple of them.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a gasser and I haul a 4000 lb camper.

I know its not a diesel but I have zero complaints and I'm sure the Hemi has more power than mine.

Enjoy your new truck and camper.
Camp Host, from the other side.

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who've responded.

I'm in the process of buying a one ton gasser and looking for an Arctic Fox 865 or a Bigfoot 25C9.4SB. That combination will work well for me, I'll post pictures, when I put the rig together later this spring. TCW has a couple of 865's but none with generators. I'll watch their inventor.

The 865 is an example of a camper Northwood was trying to phase out but the buyers kept asking for them. So, AF builds a few every year. AF responds to customer needs. Nice! That said, the AF 865 is about 12" taller than the BF 9.4SB.

Best!

Bill
TC - Still in the Hunt

Bedlam
FYI: With the Arctic Fox you not only get better insulation than the Wolf Creek, but the LPG and holding tank capacities are also larger.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
How about the Arctic Fox 865? It may have the thicker sidewalls (isolation) but no Slide (less weight). TruckCamperMag does not show the dry weight but does show the weight of the packages. Northwood is showing dry weight as 2641 lbs. (600 lbs more than Wolf Creek?)

And there are several in stock A days ride north of you if you want to go see one. (they also have the WolfCreeks in stock)
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.