Stevez123
Explorer
Explorer

Can anyone help me I really need to find out how the electrical works 

5 REPLIES 5

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

The electrical should be pretty simple on a camper from that era.

You need to find the converter, which is also the electrical distribution center for the whole camper. It will be behind a plastic panel on a cabinet. Under the panel will be 2-3 circuit breakers and a row of automotive fuses. Converters are generic.

Then find the battery box. In an older camper it is probably underneath a seat in the dinette. It may also be under an external hatch. There will be a plastic box with a vent to the outside. If you just got this camper and nothing is working the battery is probably stone cold dead. At the very least disconnect it and tape up the bare end of the + cable, but ideally, install a new battery. A jump starter pack will work for testing as well. With a live 12V battery connected the interior lights should work when you turn them on.

Finally, locate the "shore power" cord. It will be in a small round porthole on the outside. The cord will have an odd plug you've probably never seen before if this is your first RV, but it's just 110V and you can plug it into a normal wall outlet with an adapter. Just don't try to run the air conditioner. With this plugged in everything in the camper should work, 110V plugs and 12V appliances.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

@mkirsch wrote:

The electrical should be pretty simple on a camper from that era.

You need to find the converter, which is also the electrical distribution center for the whole camper. It will be behind a plastic panel on a cabinet. Under the panel will be 2-3 circuit breakers and a row of automotive fuses. Converters are generic.

I wouldnt say that, he is 4 years older then me and my paralax has 1 ac push button reset and two glass tube fuses for DC, yes automotove type by 60's and 70's automotive haha .

if this is the case I would recomend just replacing the power center with a moderen one like I did as the older converters were just a constant power unit which will destroy a battery in no time if you are not carfull

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

I did a quick search no luck, the proble is people never had the forsite to keep all the lititure that came with the campers after the warenty was gone. I was licky when I bought my 91 slumberqueen every brochure and manual was still in it, but thats rare.  on that note there is nothing about the elextrical system and how it works in the manual, usaly it would just show the modle number of the converter and things like that.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

As Joerg said the owners manuals typically don[t have any really useful information in themOn a positive, we love to help. If you can tell us how we can help we can most likely get you some useful answers.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II

If there is an owner's manual for a truck camper, it is usually very generic. I don't think you will find one for your 36 years old camper. There are manuals out there for the refrigerator, furnace, water heater. You need to find the manufacturer and model number of the appliance in question and search the internet, or ask here.

You will probably have more luck when you ask specific questions. What problems do you need to solve?

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow