cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgate Removal

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tried to remove the tailgate on 2024 Chevy 2500HD.  The B.U. Camera wire runs in above spare tire and is almost impossible to reach and disconnect without lowering the spare.   In a different post, some one linked an extension wire that can allow it to reach behind the license plate for easy disconnection - but it only links to harness for 2019   ...   Anyone know who makes a harness extension for the 2024 Chevy???    

One more thing:  I have a  lock on the access point to turn and lower the spare.  I cannot get it to unlock.  I install the key from the Remote, but it only turns clockwise 1/4 turn, and stops.  And the lock will not move at all, like it's stuck..  Can't pull it out.  What do I do to remove the lock so I can lower the spare and do something with the back-up harness so it's more accessible.   I called Chevy dealer service guy and he had no clue, I called the Chevy body shop, and he had no clue either.  I know, I know, I know - should have asked here first and save me a headache 🙂  🙂  Thanks   M44

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
9 REPLIES 9

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II

I followed the instructions on this video to remove the tailgate on my 2024 Silverado 2500HD.  The truck in the video is a 2020, but mine was the same.  I was able to get both the coax cable for the camera and the larger harness disconnected without any other component removal.  There were a couple wire retainers that needed to be removed as well.   Removing tailgate 2020 Chevy Silverado (youtube.com)

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

On my 2012 GMC 2500 I just remove the two screws holding the license plate and have easy access to the camera wire connectors.  The large hole in the bumper behind the plate is directly over the spare tire. You can just see the access hole at the bottom of the attached photo.

My spare tire lock only turns a quarter turn and then I pull, yours may just be stuck.   

IMG_3582.jpg

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Yeah, might be stuck -- I'll lube it up a bit as suggested earlier too.   I try to look over the tire and it's kinda blocked with wires. First thing I did was remove the plate, and it's still a tight squeeze.   My 2015 HD had the disconnect in a different place, right beside the tire and it was easy to reach - it was about an inch and a half circle plug and cap.  This 2024 is above the tire and about four inches long by 3/4 inch, and seems to have release clips on it.  Quite different than I've seen.   I'll try lubing it and lowering the tire a couple inches is all it needs to reach in - at least it looks that way. Thanks for the responses, both of you -- will let you know the outcome and try to get a couple photos ...   Thx   --   M44

BTW:  I see you have Happi Jacks tie-downs - which I had for years, but just put Torklift on this time. What is that at the back - is that an antenna ... and what do you use it for??   Looks like a drop-in bed with a bed mat on top. I got the same thing .... that factory drop in slides stuff around easily - rubber bed mat works much better. 

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Hopefully after lowering the tire you'll be able to see where the wires actually run and if it is possible to relocate them to a more accessible spot. 

Yep, HappiJacs on the truck, and I've had no issues with them.  I use Torklift Fastguns to attach the camper.  My bed is just a spray-in bed liner and a skid gard rubber mat.  Along the rear I have two semi mud flaps slid in under the rubber mat to make the bed level.  GM beds have a crown in them right about where the axle is so water drains to the front drains and out the back by the tailgate, this crown can allow the camper to rock on that high point and the mud flaps remove the taper.  The Black Steel thing with rollers is a Camper Cradle used to perfectly center and hold the camper centered.  The orange fiberglass rods are part of Camper Cradle and optional to help align the truck with the camper as you back in, I've since removed them and use them on my front receiver rack to mark its location out front.  

IMG_4558.jpg

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

The drop in bed came with the truck-  Dealer said it had a bed liner, and I assumed "spray in" which I intended to get, but not the same.   I may remove it after a while,, but will see how it handles first with the bed mat on it.  

I can actually see the camera connector, but it's too tight to reach.  That's why I tried to lower the tire, and found the lock stuck.  So will get to that in the next few days and go from there.  Will try WD40 first - it works on nearly every thing but dinner.

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

Should be under warranty, take it to the dealer and tell him the lock don’t work. Either that or you fiddle with it with some lubricant and compressed air until you get it out or give up.

I lubed it up, wiggled it around - twice - second time, it came loose and out.  So that problem is solved.  Now I have to lower the spare tire to get to that disconnect.  Everyone once in a while, or maybe more often, truck manufactured come up with what I call a bone-head improvement - this is one.  Nearly impossible to get to the disconnect to remove the tailgate.   One answer here was to buy an extension, which I tried, but so far - only fits up to 2019 Chevy.  So will keep searching or have one made if that's possible.  Truck campers need tailgate off and on more than other types RV, so it becomes a PITA to do it the way it's set up now.  I'll find a fix somehow.  But my camper is on the truck more than off, so that helps.

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

The idiocy of locking the spare is not new. I have a 2008 F250 and the special key was nowhere to be found and the dealership was useless. One dealer wanted to remove the entire bed to get at the lift winch from above. Spent a couple hours getting the spare down and then wound up removing the lock portion of the lift winch.

Actually might not be bad having to lower the spare to get at the tailgate wiring. Things tend to get caked with mud/dirt and corrosion, so when you do go to lower the spare, it may be frozen or the tire doesn't have any air. Lowering it a couple times per year will ensure it works if you do have a flat. Assuming things are working fine, most of the time and effort is getting the handle out from behind the seat.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Seems like GM makes it difficult for thieves, but impossible for owners.  I got the lock out and will look  at it to see how easy I can make it to do everything that makes the tailgate easy to remove.  I'll need to do it every time I put my truck camper in the bed.  I may just leave it off, and build a end-rack to keep things in the bed when I need it.  easy to install, easy to removes. I've driven Rv's over fifty years with no 'back-up camera', so won't miss it when I don't have it.

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845