Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Camper Siding Wind Damage Repair

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II

1000004020.jpg

VIDEO: Truck Camper Siding Wind Damage Repair  

Travalong I-40 Westbound, all of a sudden the siding on the left front side of the cabover began pealing away. We were driving west about 60 to 65 mph into 40 mph headwinds. We had just a couple weeks ago dealt with a similar situation but this time it was much worse. You can see how I repaired the siding. A temporary fix till we get home and I can do more indepth work to the camper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Dang, always something!  looks like you are getting a handle on it though...  Jim.

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Sometimes, you got no choice but if the forecast is for 40mph headwinds, I generally hold off on traveling for the day. The siding is going to be experiencing 100mph winds at a 60mph driving speed all while flexing with every bump.

How bad was your fuel economy that day? Used to have a rig that averaged just under 13mpg long term and one day with strong head winds, we called it after a couple hours struggling to maintain 55mph. When I filled up and calculated the mpg, it was just over 6mpg.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

That's about right regarding winds, mog, staying put. We do need to leave Albuquerque tomorrow just in time for more winds to pickup. Sticking to smaller slower roads. Best we've done so far this trip, 8.5 mpg. Worst, 6.5.

I just installed a new MAF sensor and replaced both left and right O2 sensors.  We'll see if that helps. 

Truck does seem to be running better with the new parts so far.

J&K

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Dang, always something!  looks like you are getting a handle on it though...  Jim.

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

what exactly is this a solution to?  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

So far, so good. I have a couple hundred miles on the repair with headwinds and its running better with a new MAF and O2 sensors installed. 

Heading Sante Fe way tomorrow.

Todays exciting project,  new O2 sensors and MAF sensor. Trying to appease trouble codes PO171 and PO174. Also  need to decide if the head has an oil leak or if just the right side valve cover. 

I tell you, this trip has become a mechanics dream!