Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Fleetwood Flair 22
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fleetwood Flair 22

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
SteveLevin

Sunnyvale, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think condition is another huge issue with older motorhomes. I believe that NADA is talking about a condition that, well, none of us would purchase.

When I was shopping in my budget (similar to this) I saw more than a few motorhomes that were priced in line with NADA, but boy, to me, they had quite a few warts. I mean, after all, 15 years is a long time. Fundamentally, it's nearer "end of life" than not, and NADA factors that into their pricing.

IMHO once you cross the 10 year mark, you are buying one thing: condition. The owner that has kept up with maintenance, taken care of things -- those things are worth a ton of money.

It may depend on where you are located. In the Bay Area of California when I looked at coaches there wasn't a single $8,000 unit that I didn't think "man, this thing is a ton of deferred maintenance." Instead, I spent $13,000 on a nice one, drove it 12,000 miles in the first year (including over the Sierras and the Siskyous), put 100 hours on the generator, and, other than replacing a water fill hose and having a broken generator lead fixed, didn't have to do anything.

I bet if I'd tried that with one of the cheaper rigs I would have ended up spending $13,000 anyway ($5,000 in repairs) and would still have a much less cared for interior, etc.

Steve

coloradodave

Colorado Springs, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like the floorplan and you can live with the price, why not. You are the one that would have to live with the decision and pay the bills. I'd be sure to do a thorough inspection on it, and check the age of the tires, batteries, belts, etc. As new tires on a MH can add up real fast. Go through the RV and make sure everything works. Take it for a test drive, and make sure it handles to your liking. Good luck!

'04 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
DH & DW
DS & DD
2 dogs

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cant.figure where people get these 3!>4k upgrade numbers, unless they think the rv is Unhealthy unless they refurbish the complete interior and replace all tires regardless of condition

This is not necessary in every rv, some owners take b exceptional care of their rvs others abuse them

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

melvonnar

clearwater florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

I cant.figure where people get these 3!>4k upgrade numbers, unless they think the rv is Unhealthy unless they refurbish the complete interior and replace all tires regardless of condition

This is not necessary in every rv, some owners take b exceptional care of their rvs others abuse them

tires and a new refrigerator (after 12 years, refrig could be at the end of its life, same with the hot water tank, same with the furnace, and the air conditioners,) the list goes on even if the motor home was well taken care of.

jamsvet

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called on that same unit and it was sold the second day they had it. We pulled the trigger on our deal and pick her up on Wed. Looking at the prices that are out there and the unavailability of SMALL motorhomes we're happy that we were able to make it work. Yeah we paid a lot but it fits us and our dreams are back.

melvonnar

clearwater florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jamsvet wrote:

I called on that same unit and it was sold the second day they had it. We pulled the trigger on our deal and pick her up on Wed. Looking at the prices that are out there and the unavailability of SMALL motorhomes we're happy that we were able to make it work. Yeah we paid a lot but it fits us and our dreams are back.

congratulations on your purchase; I hope you have many years of enjoyment from your motor home.

OzarkPreacher

S.W.Mo. God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is what you want and you can handle the price then it is priced right, if it is not what you want then the price can't be low enough.

good luck.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Count yourself lucky when you bought your 15+ year old MH.

jamsvet

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here she is, as you can see, Space is at a premium.

wolfman01

Williston, ND.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/10 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats. Now you just need to take a zillion pictures of the inside, and show it off to us!!

2011 Hyundai Accent SE (8k)
1996 Tiffin Allegro Bay 31' ga$$er motorhome (42k)
Bear, my four legged, furry companion.
RVing is an obsession more expensive than drugs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fleetwood Flair 22
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS