cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

jusfloors
Explorer
Explorer
Had gas(v-10s) motorhomes,trucks all struggled through Colorado mountains but had similar performance to my diesel at sea level.gas vehicles half the price of vehicles at the time. Most diesel engines last twice. As long as gas but twice the cost. Maintenance is more cost on diesel. For me it's where I drive the most dictates my choice all so Diesel has exhaust braking. I prefer diesel.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, it is. All post-2007 diesels are horrible.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
And yet ANOTHER one today...a shutdown due to a DEF system problem, AFTER burning a bunch of fuel going into re-gen mode for an hour. That makes three trucks, three different engine manufacturers (Cummins L9, Detroit Diesel DD13, Volvo D13), three trucks out of service for emission problems.

Not surprised... In addition I have a BIL that is a Case IH mechanic and the number one problem he works on is the emissions systems.

I think you will find that with all the brands.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
eshaunmichael wrote:
I have a 2005 LLY duramax towing a 13,000 solitude fifth wheel. I get between 11-12 towing between 65 and 70 mph, And I'm not full of sh____ lol

We had an almost 15000 lb alpenlite with your same truck and many times the mileage was same as you tell. Usually towed at 62 MPH math and DIC until the speedometer needed work and it was accurate after the repair.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jarlaxle wrote:
And yet ANOTHER one today...a shutdown due to a DEF system problem, AFTER burning a bunch of fuel going into re-gen mode for an hour. That makes three trucks, three different engine manufacturers (Cummins L9, Detroit Diesel DD13, Volvo D13), three trucks out of service for emission problems.

Not surprised... In addition I have a BIL that is a Case IH mechanic and the number one problem he works on is the emissions systems.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Current rig:

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
a lot of guy put their truck on a "diet" and lose some weight.. seems to take care of the DEF issues and sensors that like to go bad..

rcpd34 wrote:
This is why Iโ€™ve since sold my diesel and bought a new 7.3 gas with a 4.30 rear.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to update your signature. ๐Ÿ˜„
Current rig:

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
This is why Iโ€™ve since sold my diesel and bought a new 7.3 gas with a 4.30 rear.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
And another one...got a STOP ENGINE light for no apparent reason and with no warning. Just the tow bill was probably >$1000. 2019 truck, Cummins L9, only about 130,000 miles.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
The latest emission diesel saga...after four attempts including a new EGR valve (ka-ching), the shop was finally able to get the CEL to stay off on one of the trucks at work. Only took a new exhaust filter, for about nine thousand dollars (wholesale cost).
Current rig:

eshaunmichael
Explorer
Explorer
The gasser diesel debate lol, I've had 6 rv's, I currently have a 37ft fiver. I've towed with gas for years. The truth is the diesel reaches its torque at a much lower rpm than gas. I can tow in overdrive at 65, and it has 230,000 miles on it and still runs great. It's a much better towing experience.
2005 Silverado Duramax
2015 Solitude

eshaunmichael
Explorer
Explorer
yes calculated manually, I dont trust what my truck claims im getting
2005 Silverado Duramax
2015 Solitude

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
eshaunmichael wrote:
I have a 2005 LLY duramax towing a 13,000 solitude fifth wheel. I get between 11-12 towing between 65 and 70 mph, And I'm not full of sh____ lol

Hand calc? Filled to the top over several tanks?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD