Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 817  
Prev  |  Next
Griff in Fairbanks

AK

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In terms of the odor from steaming coolant leaks -- put some coolant, with antifreeze, in something metal that you can throw away. Heat it up to a full rolling boil. The steam coming off it will be very close to the odor that indicates radiator boil-over or coolant leaks.

Do this outdoors and definitely dispose of whatever you used to heat it up afterwards.

1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

TreeSeeker

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Griff wrote:

In terms of the odor from steaming coolant leaks -- put some coolant, with antifreeze, in something metal that you can throw away. Heat it up to a full rolling boil. The steam coming off it will be very close to the odor that indicates radiator boil-over or coolant leaks

Be advised, even breathing ethylene glycol is not good for you--it is toxic.

Animals like the taste of it so clean up any spills. It only takes a little for toxic effects.

eyeteeth

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very much doubt it was coolant. It's actually much more under control now. I checked the coolant level and it was seemed to actually be under a little pressure still... after cooling back down since yesterday.

Griff in Fairbanks

AK

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TreeSeeker wrote:

Be advised, even breathing ethylene glycol is not good for you--it is toxic.

Animals like the taste of it so clean up any spills. It only takes a little for toxic effects.

Yes, absolutely! I should have mentioned that. Thank you for correcting my omission.

The odor will travel a ways, allowing you to smell it WITHOUT actually breathing in the steam.

eyeteeth wrote:

Very much doubt it was coolant. It's actually much more under control now. I checked the coolant level and it was seemed to actually be under a little pressure still... after cooling back down since yesterday.

Not good. Even if ambient temperatures are over 100 degrees F. This indicates a possible blockage.

Exception is if you have a coolant recovery tank. Cooler overnight temperatures would cause more coolant to be drawn into the radiator from the overflow/recovery tank. Then, daytime temperatures would cause some expansion but not enough to cause coolant to be pushed back past the radiator cap into the recovery tank.

eyeteeth

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes... there is an overflow/recovery tank.

eyeteeth

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well... drove it to the parts store... drove it top off propane... drove it to pick up smoothies... and drove it home...

No odd smells... seems to have normal power... nothing got hot...

love inconsistency.

StingrayL82

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rotor and hub assembly for my MB300? One of the studs stripped in the rotor, started spinning, and the nut wouldn't come off, so I got really ticked off (I have to be polite, because the forum will just show **** if I cuss) and took a sledgehammer to the whole thing.

For the first time, I really hate this frigging motorhome. I now understand why people don't bother messing with old junk, 1) You can't get parts for them anymore and 2) The old parts are just plain old junk.

If someone made me an offer for this POS that wasn't stupid, I'd take it.

Fred
Retired Army Guy
1976 Monaco Winchester
22.5' Class C

Leeann

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure you need the hub? Usually just easier to get a new stud. Dorman makes them, Pep Boys (and others) stock them. Pound out the old, drive in the new.

'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

StingrayL82

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leeann wrote:

Sure you need the hub? Usually just easier to get a new stud. Dorman makes them, Pep Boys (and others) stock them. Pound out the old, drive in the new.

When I get p!ssed off, I get p!ssed off in epic fashion and end up making sure that what broke stays permanently broken. Yeah, I know, you don't need to say it, I'm a dumb short-fused SOB.

A picture is worth 1000 words.

[image]

Leeann

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/18 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn’t say a thing.

And I have NO idea whatsoever what you’re talking about. None. Nope. Not me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 817  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS