cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions about Class C's

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
This is the Class C Frequently Asked Questions list. It is the place where we save links to threads with questions that get asked over and over and their answers. Check here before posting if you are new to the Class C forum and are not familiar with our items from the last few months.

Some of the first questions new posters have often ask just WHAT can be posted here. Check out the rules and guidelines for what and how to post on RV.Net and the Class C Forum.

Winter Issues
Winterizing
85 REPLIES 85

Phedley
Explorer
Explorer
Can I take my class c sprinter 24h into cold climates as long as I keep the inside heated and with holding tank heaters on?

HiTechRV
Explorer
Explorer
This post is still holding up, years later! 🙂

readytorv28
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, first of all I apologize but couldn't find a way to ask my question. We are looking at a 24' Fleetwood Tioga that had the roof caulking redone because it leaked. Any suggestions on whether or not to buy it because of this.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Already had a leak? Probably going to cost $3000 to replace the cap? Remember the NADA value is $9,500 with no leaks with everything working and even thats a questionable value for a RV that old. Find out what's wrong with the AC first. Check the date code on the tires. Over 5 years old consider replacing them. Get a carfax on the VIN number. I'd most likely keep looking.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Considering buying a 1997 Winnebago Minnie Winnie Class C, 24 ft, fully equipped, 460 engine, Onan 4K generator. A trade in with 52,000 miles. It was advertised for $8.995 at TRI-AM RV, a local and respected RV dealer. I did get them down to about $7,000 for a tentative purchase. NADA value is $9,500 or so. It looks in very good shape and prior to buying a TRI-AM maintenance person will go over every system with you to make sure that everything works, including the holding tanks, etc. They will also go with you for a long test drive. The sales person did mention that the engine AC was not working properly and there had been a small leak on the diver's side overhead CAP window. They estimated $1,200 to repair the AC and $3,000 to repair the CAP, which would entail removing the CAP and replacing it with a CAP that has no windows. The current CAP has a front and two side windows. I was told that their maintenance people make $100 per hour and it would take 22 hours for the work plus parts.

Does any of this sound reasonable and should I continue to pursue this motor home?

chattannooga
Explorer
Explorer
What do you owners of older Class Cs plan do when the EPA follows up on its proposal to force refiners to blend at least 15% ethanol in gasoline?
the EPA admits that 15 percent ethanol can damage older engines like the ones pulling Toyota Class Cs and older V8s. My mechanic tells me that even 10 percent ethanol is damaging older engines but the government will not admit it. In addition to engine damage, ethanol reduces mileage so we will be getting a double whammy from the Obama bureaucrats.

jetmechtm
Explorer
Explorer
What other makes/models are comparable to the Fleetwood Tioga/Jamboree 24D? That is the size and basic floor plan I desire. I would prefer a Chevy/GMC chassis since I own a GMC Savanna and have the manuals. I can live with a Ford if need be.

nicpaige
Explorer
Explorer
This is a common problem (converter plugged). Happened to us out in South Dakota, guy came out with a tow truck and took a hole saw to it. Ran fine so we could get to town to fix properly.

desertrek
Explorer
Explorer
ravenlittle wrote:
I have a 1993 jayco with 460 engine, just wondering if any one has ever had any proplems with vapor lock towing a toad going up a steep mountain

I owned a 1988 Itasca with the 460 and never had a vapor lock issue. I'm not sure that condition can exist with mutli-port fuel injection? I did have one issue that presented itself with very similiar symptoms. The Catalytic became plugged at around 83000 miles, it eventually reached a point that the engine would not run beyond idle. Always happens during the most in opportune time, half way home in the middle of the desert on a 105 degree day:( At first I tried replacing the fuel filter but quickly discovered fuel flow was not the issue. Once I had the rig towed home "Good Sam ERS" I pulled the cat and sure enough a big round plug of what I will call it "cat guts" fell out on the ground. Replaced catalytic and all was fine...
Desertrek
2011 Four Winds 25C (27')E450 Ford
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee(Toad)
2009 KLR-650 Kawasaki-(Toads piggyback)
Mesa, AZ

Ron35816
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a toad of 3200 lbs with a 6L with no problems, a little slow up
steep grades. My MH was 29'. No problem just can't be speed deamon.

myrna1962
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I bought a 2003 Four Winds Majestic E450 V10 a few years ago, previously a rental unit, and have been very happy with it. I do almost all of the driving since my husband prefers to pull the boat with his truck. This rv drives and handles like a car, so much better than our old 1979 motorhome. It is so comfortable and drives so nice that I have no qualms about driving this rv anywhere.

ravenlittle
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1993 jayco with 460 engine, just wondering if any one has ever had any proplems with vapor lock towing a toad going up a steep mountain

ravenlittle
Explorer
Explorer

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Not very many refrigerators work off 12 volt only. If you have one that will, it's not a very good idea to run on 12 volt only because it will run your battery down in a short time unless you are driving.

Beginning about 1990 refrigerators need 12 volt to operate even if running on 120 volt.

If you can plug into 120 volt use that to run the refrigerator to cool it down before leaving on your trip.

Many refrigerators have an auto setting. When on auto they run on 120 volt when available and switch to LP. when 120 volt is not available.

Have a good trip,
Dusty

If you run your refrigerator on LP while driving be sure to stop and turn it off before pulling up to a gas pump when getting gas.