Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: B+ motorhomes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> B+ motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 370  
Prev  |  Next
Br-

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/02 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a new B+, 26 ft. model 251, 8.1 Ltr.
Haven't been on the road with it yet. I have been reading your comments with interest, and was wondering if your's came with a jack. Are your outside mirrors adjustable up and down or just left and right? Any tips you can offer?

Thanks

Daniel C.

San Antonio, Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/02 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Br-
The mirrors are adjustable in both directions. If you look up the mounting stalk, you can see a pivot for up and down movement. I didn't get a jack or lug wrench. I let the tire down and looked behind it to see (I'll send you a cleaning bill for my trousers). I did note that the owner's manual discourages owners from tire changing! I changed the inside dual on my old Winnebago one time several years ago, and will probably use the cell phone jack instead of a tire jack from now on! I'll try to keep folks posted as time goes by, since I plan to put 15-20K miles in the first year.

Br-

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/02 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took the B+ on a test drive, 70 mi. to relatives house. Two miles before we got there, the "check engine soon" light came on. No idea what caused it, maybe an emmission problem. Drove 70 mi. home and two blocks from our house the trans started acting up. Pulled in the drive, backed up to straighten out and couldn't pull forward.
Wouldn't move. Dealer said to have it towed to a chevy dealer and they would pay for it. So there it sits! Won't know anything until monday.

Hope it's just a computer glitch and nothing major. Still on the first tank of gas. And you think you have problems with dirty pants. (just
kidding)

Bruce & Sue
2007 pleasure-way excel-ts
Previously owned:'02 Trail-lite B+

Daniel C.

San Antonio, Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/02 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just about convinced that if you can get through the first 5-10k miles, the rest is easy.
Sorry to hear about your problems. I assume that the Chevy dealer you talked to has sufficient lift capacity to handle your unit. Otherwise, it shouldn't be much different than getting an Impala worked on. The transmission you have has been around for awhile, so you can either figure that the problem is minor, or it is good to get a defective transmission replaced early in the wear cycle. My unit had an engine light show up before I took delivery. The service department set up an appointment before I got the coach with the Chevy folks, and they replaced an Oxygen sensor, but found (after several hours of trouble shooting)that a screw had penetrated part of the vehicle wiring harness during the coach construction. In spite of the potential for mutual finger pointing, R vision authorized payment with no delay. Total time down was two days! I look at the first couple of months as more of a "shakedown cruise" than buying a new car and try to be patient about some system failures, resulting from one of many suppliers of equipment for the coach.

Br-

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/02 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:

Apparently the clutch housing was cracked in the process of installation. The stress of driving broke the housing apart and in turn destroyed the clutch. New parts on the way and we should have the RV back on thursday or friday. Things happen I guess, but never expected something like this.

Daniel C.

San Antonio, Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/02 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume you are talking about the transmission clutches in the automatic transmission. You could have had the same thing happen on a 100k Chinook with the same chassis! I guess we could get angry with quality control with the Canadians whom I believe built the chassis! Good luck on your repairs. I have determined that my slide is out of adjustment. the bottom makes contact before the top when extended - a recipe for leaks. As long as it is buttoned up, I am fine. I have already notified the dealer of a number of items to be fixed in about three weeks. They are very cooperative, and will coordinate my leaving the coach with them for a few days.

Daniel C.

San Antonio, Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/02 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:
Just changed the oil for the first time. The Chevy dealer quoted $69 for an oil change! I got it done at Jiffy Lube for $32! That engine appears to use a quart every 2,000 miles, which is comparable to the 454 chevy in my last motorhome. I can tell that I am a little more tired after driving it in traffic, but the difference between the B+ and a regular commute vehicle is really minimal. One difference I seem to notice is that other traffic assumes I cannot accelerate as well as other cars, and pull in front quite a bit. Parking is pretty easy also. Last week I parked in a parallel spot, and cars parked on either side of me with only about a foot of clearance on each end. Though it took several "back and forth" movements I suprised myself how easy it was to get away. The back steps protrude a few inches, which gives some additional movement when turning sharply in both directions. Also the overhang swings the rear more.
I am looking at replacing the rims and hubcaps with aftermarket wheels (aluminum or stainless). I would get the stainless liners, but am concerned about wheel balance with those - especially the rear wheels. Any ideas on replacement wheels for $5-700?

Br-

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/02 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update on B+ transmission:

Chevy dealer worked on the trans last week, replaced a few parts but it was shifting hard. They decided to replace the whole trans, supposedly ordered one from Detroit. We are still waiting as the trans has not come in yet.
We were planning to leave saturday for Virginia Beach, and right now it looks like the trip will be canceled. Kind of ironic, the chevy dealer said the trans was built right here in Toledo. The dealer we bought the RV from has not been very helpful. They just want to know what the problem is so they can decide if they will continue to sell the B+'s or not. At this point we are very disgusted with the whole mess.

Hope you have better luck with yours.

Daniel C.

San Antonio, Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/02 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Br:
I am sorry that you are having such a problem with your new vehicle. There seems to be an unspoken tension between chassis manufacturers and rv manufacturers. Imagine if the chevy dealer felt that the crack in the transmission case was the fault of a blow during the coach manufacturing process! I know that here (New Braunfels, Tx), the relationship seems to be pretty cooperative. While my coach was in the chevy shop getting a oxygen sensor replaced, the dealer was troubleshooting a misfire that I had complained about. They found that an errant screw had penetrated a vehicle wiring harness during construction - cost to troubleshoot and fix was over $600, and the R-Vision people approved the work almost instantly. The total time my vehicle was out of commission was two days. Don't give up on your trip yet. If they can get the transmission in by Thursday, they should be able to slap that baby in Friday and you could leave Saturday easily! Please give yourself some time to get used to your vehicle before deciding that having a hotel on wheels is folley. I have put about 4,500 miles on a similar chassis in less than two months, and am really pleased with its performance overall.

Dan
2006 Lexington 235S; 6.8L Ford E450,
2005 30RLS Outback Sydney Edition,
2007 Jeep Compass
2009 Mini Cooper S

CJB

ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/02 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree about the tension between the Coach and chassis manufacturers. I have had quite a fight with Dodge with our Roadtrek- it seems that their pat answer with any problem is that it is the "conversion" that is causing the problem. I have also had bad luck with the Roadtrek dealer being willing to fix certain things, while Home&Park is very good about calling back and saying such problems should have been fixed under warranty. My problems and others that I have heard about have made me feel very reluctant to ever purchase new again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 370  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> B+ motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.