Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3144  
Prev  |  Next
SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone heard from Richard, just wondering how he is doing.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

Anyone heard from Richard, just wondering how he is doing.
I am home. Got discharged from the hospital yesterday evening late. iT seems I have a heart condition that caused me to have strokes. I had SEVERAL MIni STROKES THAT Caused me to be hospitalized. I don't have any lasting effects so hope to be able to carry on with my life as usual. The doctor told me no more driving fOR me. I cAN NOT DRIVE THE TRUCK AND PULL THE CAMPER. I will be on a heart monitor for the next month or two. IT seems the bottom part of my heart isn't working as it should causing blood clots to form which caused the stroke. that's all for now. Talk with you later. I wish you a blessed day. be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell some one you love them. until next time I love you all and thank you for your support through all the years. It has been a great ride while it lasted. I feel tired and weak so I am going to rest for now

* This post was edited 06/11/20 08:28pm by Dixie Flyer *

2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear the restrictions that this illness is causing you. Does the no driving apply for the future or just for a while? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Thank God he got you through this.

DOTLDaddy

Camp Canine, STL County, MO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard, Garland and I wish you the best in dealing with your medical issues. Just take it day by day, and Lord willing, things will improve. You are right, it's been a very long and good run here at the Old Fella topic, so let's just keep on keeping on.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 6 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

Sorry to hear the restrictions that this illness is causing you. Does the no driving apply for the future or just for a while? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Thank God he got you through this.

Just for a while until they can get a better handle on things.

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/20 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way Terry's doctors have described it to us is that they legally cannot take your license away but with certain heart issues (Terry has an ICD) they prefer you not to drive for six months after an episode. His "episodes" would result in passing out. . . actually his heart stops. Then it would restart. As it got weaker, they added the ICD which will "jumpstart" the heart. The last time this happened was 10 years ago. The device also regulates his heart rhythm which hopefully keeps the heart from stopping. He has had a few incidences of passing out, but no heart stoppage. Those times happen when he isn't feeling well and during those times, Terry does't do much till he feels better. When his instances occurred ten years ago, he voluntarily gave up driving the motorhome. Okay by me. It's just not a situation where a passenger could intervened before the 45,000 lb. rig would careen off the road or into another lane. When he is not feeling up to par, he chooses not to drive anything. It's been about 4-5 years since he became very ill and he was on a roller coaster, but never feeling up to par. So he has not driven much. Lately, this past year seems to have been a healing one for him and things are better for him. He is starting to drive the car a bit and that is a big help to me. He was always an excellent driver. . . that had nothing to do with it though. . . it was his health and being alert, etc.

We just drove a rental car to Indiana, with Terry helping, and we drove the little motorhome back to Florida pulling the trailer. In ten days we are flying back up and driving the Miata back. He's going to help on that driving, although he will not drive the "Tail of the Dragon." He's never liked mountain driving and will prolly have his eyes closed! This works for us. I have always loved to drive and I don't mind because it's still something we can do together.

We met another couple in a Class A years ago. She did all the driving and everything else because her husband was going blind. He had a work related condition that caused his blindness, but they wanted to RV so they bought one and they go anyway!

Once they get your heart more stable, I assume they will relax their stance. I don't consider Terry any more a danger than someone who has seizures. They can still get a license depending upon how long it's been since their last one. Other people with conditions that cause blackouts, etc., may still get licenses to drive. I believe it would be easier to intervene with an impaired driver in a car, but big rigs are a different matter.

Don't be discouraged, Richard. Now that they know this, they should be able to help. And feeling tired is very NORMAL after any kind of heart problems. It takes a while. A couple years ago when they were trying to get Terry to go on the heart transplant list, physical therapy gave him some exercises that they said they give all their heart patients which work to build up their core. He has faithfully fully done the exercises every day and they have surely helped. We normally walk 1.3 miles daily, although we've been so busy working on the house, we've fallen off doing that in the heat. But we are hauling furniture around, etc., so he is still getting exercise.

Good luck and we will be praying for you and Sue!

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard sorry to hear you have restrictions. Like everyone else said one day at a time and things should improve.
Look at it as just a little bump in the road.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son in law's mother lives just off the road there. I have driven it in my truck. Son in law rides it often on the motorcycle. fun road in the right vehicle. Driving days are over with the camper over. Getting a golf cart to get around in here at home. I guess I will be fishing a lot in the pond behind the house. MY thinking is muddled. don't comprehend things correctly at times. Oh well we will see how things work out. right now I am not thinking straight. talk with you later.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard, we have had way too much experience with strokes (both Sandy's family and mine). The brain can recover and new connections can be made. It is VERY important to start the retraining very quickly after the insult. There are great occupational therapy and physical therapy programs that can speed the recovery. There are also computer games/programs that can help reconnect or reroute the circuits in the brain. My unsolicited advice: do something, anything to try to gain back what ever you can.

Doug

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Dixie Flyer

Piedmont, SC 29673

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning everyone. My heart monit9r hasn't shown any thing going on with the heart. I have had it since Wednesday and no episodes have been registered or recorded. So I guess their diagnoses of A fib are not accurate. Anyway According to the monitor I am fine. So what caused the stroke? The golf cart us nice. Our new neighbor is putting up a fence. He called the County Dog Pound on us about Dixie being in his yard. I Talked with him yesterday about the situation, but nothing resolved. I told him I was done with him and came home. I guess it is okay for his cats to roam the neighborhood without being taken care of. anyway we are at a standoff about the dogs and cars.

The cats are at our house being fed and taken care of at our expense. There are two left/ three have gone missing. Okay I need to get moving so I will close for now wishing you a blessed day. Be sure to give the fur babies a hug for me and be sure to tell someone you love them. I am still fuzzy in my thinking and find it hard to do some tasks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3144  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.