Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3155  
Prev  |  Next
Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

A very heartwarming story about dog rescue pilot this morning on CBS Sunday morning

Dog is my copilot

That is a really cool story, Doug. Thanks for sharing.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need some advise. My 16 year old Shih Tzu Cookie was having seizures a few months ago so I took her to the Vet. She was prescribed some meds, Pimobendan and Furosemide which stopped the seizures until last Thursday evening when she had another seizure, it didn't last as long as the previous ones. Friday morning before I could call our Vet she fell over on her side and had another one and this time she also peed. I called the Vet and took her right in where she was examined, had blood work and Xrays. Her heart was enlarged which started a few years ago and she takes Enalapril twice a day for that. The Xrays show that her Kidney is also enlarging and her Liver is also enlarging. For this she is now taking Denamarin 1/4 tab once a day. The Vet says she may have Liver Cancer starting also. Her Furosemide was reduced to only 1/2 pill a day.

Here's my questions, I don't think she is in pain but she is slow moving and sleeps all day. I don't want her to suffer, should I have her put down now or just wait until I can see if she is in pain and then have it done. When I do this I am thinking of cremation and having her Urn in my living room, but my Wife doesn't want that as it would bother her to see it every day. I could have her ashes placed with other pets and disbursed in an Orchard. I don't know what to do when the time comes, keep the Urn or let them disburse her ashes? I have never been this close to any of the pets I've had over the years.

What would you all do?

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a tough decision. Just went through it 2 years ago with my 4 year old Collie Cooper. He had oral cancer and the prognosis was 1.8 months. He was on pain medication and I beleive father advanced when I caught it. After 2 weeks he was going downhill and I new what the outcome would be. I didn't want him to suffer on my account and had him put to sleep. It was,especially hard since I lost Mikko earlier in the year. I beleive in my heart I made the correct decesion and think about Cooper often and our games of fetch with the Nerf football.

I did adopt two more Collies Sawyer and Sasha from Collie rescue. At this point we probably have the same life expectancy.

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

I need some advise. My 16 year old Shih Tzu Cookie was having s a few months ago so I took her to the Vet. She was prescribed some meds, Pimobendan and Furosemide which stopped the seizures until last Thursday evening when she had another seizure, it didn't last as long as the previous ones. Friday morning before I could call our Vet she fell over on her side and had another one and this time she also peed. I called the Vet and took her right in where she was examined, had blood work and Xrays. Her heart was enlarged which started a few years ago and she takes Enalapril twice a day for that. The Xrays show that her Kidney is also enlarging and her Liver is also enlarging. For this she is now taking Denamarin 1/4 tab once a day. The Vet says she may have Liver Cancer starting also. Her Furosemide was reduced to only 1/2 pill a day.

Here's my questions, I don't think she is in pain but she is slow moving and sleeps all day. I don't want her to suffer, should I have her put down now or just wait until I can see if she is in pain and then have it done. When I do this I am thinking of cremation and having her Urn in my living room, but my Wife doesn't want that as it would bother her to see it every day. I could have her ashes placed with other pets and disbursed in an Orchard. I don't know what to do when the time comes, keep the Urn or let them disburse her ashes? I have never been this close to any of the pets I've had over the years.

What would you all do?

What ever you decide I know it will be in your pets best interest. We had a small-dog, 15 years old, that started having seizures. After having dogs of all sizes for over thirty years that was the hardest thing I ever had to watch. You are pretty helpless watching the episode. Best of luck, it is a bad deal all around but I know you will do your best.

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry your Cookie is having problems. It sounds like she has many complications. I would just continue to monitor her behavior. When my Neal had seizures he would pee and poo during the seizure. After lots of research, I found that a seizure in a dog is the equivalent of running a marathon and depletes their blood sugar. You don't mention cluster seizures which is what my Neal would do. Just one after another. I would wait till he tried to get up after the seizure and dose him with honey from an oral syringe. It would bring him out of it faster. Then I would take him outside where he would pee and poo. Within a few hours he was almost back to normal.

The phenobarbitol and potassium bromide he was on for so many years, however, to keep the seizures at bay ended up destroying his liver. He had a stroke one day and I made the decision to end his suffering.

I have had all my dogs cremated. My vet of over 30 years does this and scatters their ashes in his orchard. Some dogs who died while we were on the road I had cremated and I brought their ashes back to him, so they are all scattered in the same orchard. I didn't want containers with ashes that my kids would have to decide what to do with. I didin't save the boxes/containers, but my last dog was cremated in Texas. The vet places their ashes in a bag inside an intricately carved woooden box with a slide opening in the bottom. The box is hand carved from Mexico and it is beautiful. I have that box on my dresser and placed in it the collars and tags of my last four dogs who traveled with us on the road over the last 15 years.

Much love and prayers to you and your wee one. Wish they lived longer for us.

Dale

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear Cookie is having health issues.
We always trusted our Vet and looked for his guidance.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny

BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of thoughts regarding Cookie:

Is this a real seizure or a syncopal attack (fainting) due to the heart condition? If it is only heart related, changing/adding heart meds may be useful, but in the long run this condition won't be reversed.

It's kind of unusual for seizures to develop this late in life unless there is another health issue causing the seizure (tumors or metabolic issues).

Regardless, a syncopal attack or seizure is usually not painful to the dog. As Dale said, they can be extremely fatiguing and post event most dogs do feel wiped out.

Regarding end of life issues, most times the dogs themselves will tell you when they have had enough. Just be tuned in to behavior and be sensitive to Cookie's needs.

You both need to come to agreement on final arrangements. The service we use offer a cremation and have an option where an amulet filled with the ashes along with the rest of the remains are provided. Most people who do this bury the remains but keep the amulet someplace special where there isn't a constant reminder. Just an option.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

A couple of thoughts regarding Cookie:

Is this a real seizure or a syncopal attack (fainting) due to the heart condition? If it is only heart related, changing/adding heart meds may be useful, but in the long run this condition won't be reversed.

It's kind of unusual for seizures to develop this late in life unless there is another health issue causing the seizure (tumors or metabolic issues).

Regardless, a syncopal attack or seizure is usually not painful to the dog. As Dale said, they can be extremely fatiguing and post event most dogs do feel wiped out.

Regarding end of life issues, most times the dogs themselves will tell you when they have had enough. Just be tuned in to behavior and be sensitive to Cookie's needs.

You both need to come to agreement on final arrangements. The service we use offer a cremation and have an option where an amulet filled with the ashes along with the rest of the remains are provided. Most people who do this bury the remains but keep the amulet someplace special where there isn't a constant reminder. Just an option.

What she does when this happens is she lays on her side all stretched out with her legs also stretched out and she shakes and howls really loud, she also passes urine. It doesn't last more then 20-30 seconds. Then she will just lay there for a few mins before she gets up very slowly. Since these last two on Thursday nite and early Friday morning there has been no more. But she does walk very slow and her rear right leg is not moving normally. Even though she weighed in at 13.3 lbs she feels and looks like only skin and bones. She also looks like she is shaking a lot. She won't eat her regular food Hills Science Diet 7+ kibble, so we cooked her some chicken breast with no additives and she has no problem eating that. I just don't know if she is in pain. She does sleep all day and night. Her water drinking is still like it has always been and she comes and goes through the doggie door to use the bathroom. I just hate to put her down if it's not time.

agteacher

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an American Eskimo, Ginger, who developed seizures at 7 or 8. They started when we took her to the groomer. She would get so excited. Initially, it seemed like a lone occurrence, then started every time she would go. They started getting worse and she was determined to have epilepsy. The last couple months, she had worsening grand maul seizures and more frequent seizures.

camping buddies - my husband,">
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/20 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a tendency to hold off too long. Painfully as it may be, it's best for our pet to let them go rather than pump meds into them for our sake.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3155  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.