Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: FAQ Insurance for Mexico
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> FAQ Insurance for Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
bajawinters

Encinitas, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/08 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had Mexican auto insurance through Adventure Mexican Auto Insurance for over 6 years. They represent several companies, we buy the Genworth policy for yearly coverage and evacuation insurance. While traveling in Baja we have seen their adjusters at work, they are very efficient and courteous.

"Hammer down and South bound!"

jackw7jra

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/08 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your insurance company is Progressive then all that is needed is Mexican liability.

bradleyleanne

Waconia MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/08 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked with San Xavier to renew my policy. In the past the insurance company they used was Mapfre-Tepeyac but now have changed to ANA Seguros. Has anybody used ANA Seguros. Want to renew with San Xavier but thought I would ask first.

maggybeck

North in summer, south in winter

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/09 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used San Xavier in Tucson since 1987, and never had a problem until now. Had an accident and took out the rear right fender and tow mirror. The Mexican insurance adjuster was at our meeting place within an hour and authorized repair in Tucson. However, the person we are dealing with in Tucson is proving extremely difficult to deal with, keeps dragging things out. He says they do not "order parts". How can you do repairs without ordering the appropriate parts. Luckily the repair facility has them in stock. Looks like we will have to pay for the repairs ourselves and reclaim from the company (Mapfre). This has changed our view completely and we are now looking for another insurance company. Is this a reflection on the company, or just the agent dealing with the claim? Either way, we will no longer recommend this company as we have done in the past.

tcman

Aldergrove, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/09 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This page has some useful info:

LINK

2006 SnowBird 9'6
2005 Chev SRW

Robt65

Southeast Texas & Queretaro, Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/10 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

I have not had experience in using Mexican insurance for a RV, but I did have to use it last November for an accident my Mexicana wife had in our VW. The accident was not her fault and the guy flipped her the international greeting and drove off. Thankfully some folks working at a local store saw it all and confirmed my wife's version. I was at home and she called and came home. Much shaken and I asked first, if she and our daughter were OK, my next question was if she had called the insurance company. She did not. I quickly gathered her and our daughter and we drove back to the accident scene with the VW.

First let me caution everyone . . . . . . reporting an accident is not like in the USA. DO NOT LEAVE THE SCENE OF THE ACCIDENT AND DO NOT MOVE YOUR VEHICLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, WITHOUT FIRST CALLING THE INSURANCE COMPANY CLAIMS ADJUSTER AND THEN GETTING THE PERMISSION OF THE ADJUSTER TO MOVE THE CAR TO A SAFER PLACE OR TO THE SHOULDER OF THE ROAD.

Get photos first before moving the car, even if the adjuster is there. Get a photo (if possible) of the other driver(s) involved. Use your cell phone if that is what you have at hand. Get the licence number and the licence number of the other driver also get the name of his / her insurance company. A policy number is even better.
if you ask the other driver to see his insurance company card. Again take a photo with your cell phone of the ins card if possible.

If you do move the car before the adjuster gets there without their permission your policy could become null and void.

I can say that (at least in Tampico) that the response time of the insurance adjuster is faster than the police were. The insurance adjuster was there 15 minutes after I called them (once I had returned to the scene). I did ask them, when I phoned in the accident information, if I could move the car out of a dangerous position and the adjuster agreed.

I had full coverage for both my wife and myself. My yearly insurance cost for two cars is $462 USD a year. The insurance adjuster got all the information (was very thorough) and took several photos. I also took many photos including a photo of the odometer. The adjuster asked me if I had a certain place to take it, I said no. He suggested the VW dealer. I went to the dealer in C. D. Madero close to our home and they said they would have the car repaired in five days. I said OK. Three weeks later it was still not repaired. I called the adjuster and asked him, due to those circumstances, if I could take the car to the VW dealer in Tampico. He approved it. That dealer said the car would be repaired in four days. Indeed it was on time and very well done. I couldn't believe it.

It is a regular fiasco getting the bill paid at any dealer. First you get he bill, then you go to the bank with someone from the dealer and the dealer gives this paper of the costs to the teller. The teller takes a call )probably) to the insurance company. You give the teller the money and the bill is paid. Then you go back with the receipt to the dealer and the dealer rep gives you a paid receipt.

My insurance company was "ACE" insurance (I know, I know . . . what a name!) scares you to death doesn't it? (smiling) But I checked on them before buying and evidently they are the number two company in all of Mexico. They were excellent. Fast and courteous. I will continue to use them as long as they continue their excellent service. I found GNP (?) to be much more expensive.

Robert

Robt65

Southeast Texas & Queretaro, Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/10 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tcman wrote:

This page has some useful info:

LINK

Hello tcman,

I am grateful that you have said "This page has SOMESOME useful information" As I have read it and found much that is certainly not any longer viable. For example Coke being the only diet drinks or sodas in Mexico. While being a little more difficult to find in smaller stores such as SOME OXXO stores they can be found in mos Soriana, Walmart, Commercial Mexicana and even many other smaller shops in smaller towns along with a drink called B-Lite in many different fruit flavors. B-Lite is a Pepsi product and really great. I wish that Pepsi would make and distribute this drink here NOB.

Many other updates are required for this link.

robt65

NSSUE

halifax

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/13 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I am a new RV owner. Planing on going across border to San Carlos Mexico for one week. I am hearing the insurance rates for an RV are very high and can only be
taken for a minimum of one month.. so will be expensive for one week.
Care to comment?
Thanks!

JimmyD

Full-timer (Livingston, TX)

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/15 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been checking on Mexico Liability Insurance policies. I plan on going down to Puerto PeƱasco for about a week, then later on traveling down to Baja. I will be driving my motorhome and towing my CRV. I plan on getting Liability only. The straight-forward approach would, of course, be to get two separate policies. However, I was told by one agent that the cheapest approach would be to get a policy that covers a Driver's License. That way I would only need one policy as I would only be driving one vehicle at a time. I did some on-line research and it is completely unclear. One site says the Driver's License approach is not valid for a vehicle where you are towing something, which would, of course, be a problem for me. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge on this approach? Thanks in Advance.

Jim

Jim & Jan Allen
2003 Safari Trek 2630
Full Timer
Towing 2002 Honda CRV

popsiscool

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/15 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw the post about progressive. I have progressive ins for my r.v. It has Mexican coverage included. Is this not all I need?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> FAQ Insurance for Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS