Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Happijac lubrication
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac lubrication

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next
AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the pdf files identifies o-ring and lists sizes (if correct model)

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

Blk88GT

Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's contributed in here. One of my jacks locked up on me and I was dreading having to source a new one. With the help of this thread I brought it back to life and it's never worked so good. I found a large amount of rust/corrosion inside that the previous owner neglected to service. Instead, the dealer soaked him for ~500 for a new motor.

TCs_a_lot

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a lot for posting/saving these pics. I recently had an inner tube drop out of a HJ lift while my camper was on my truck. This disassembly was critical. I was able to determine that a torsion pin had failed! I was able to replace it and reassembled the jack.

Don't usually reply to forums like this, but thanks.

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how old, model/# Crapi Jack

2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

TCs_a_lot

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Came off of a 2006 Arctic Fox, HJ 4500.

Ripit

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. This was very easy and helpful. Didn’t take long to take apart clean and lube and put back together. Warning, the plastic cap opposite the switch broke when I was disassembling. I found a nylon bushing at the hardware store that will work to replace that. There is a 1 5/16” rubber o-ring on top of the leg. Mine had tore apart. I’m not sure where it belongs but I looks like it fits into a groove on the top of the leg. Maybe for a bump stop when the leg is all the way in the up position. Other than that all went well. I found son bevel gears on etrailer and wiring junction boxes at Lippert Componets Lci1.com if anyone is needing these items. Good luck.

* This post was edited 07/31/19 12:03pm by Ripit *

2017 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab
2007 Outfitter Apex 8 Loaded
2014 Eastcape Lostman
2004 King Cat 296

goshawk

wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems this is a perennial topic, and I'm the newest one in need of help. Thanks to KKeller's photos, and the pdfs, I've almost gotten my sticking stubborn jack disassembled.

Where I'm stuck is getting the inner tube out of the outer one. After taking apart everything at the top of the jack (gears, etc) I tried to pull that inner tube (the black one with the foot on it just to be clear) out of the outer tube. Totally stuck.

So I re-assembled and put the jack back on the camper and cranked it as far out as I could. Not easy, but it still functions with enough elbow grease on the manual crank. I hoped that getting it most of the way out, I would be able to pull it the rest of the way.

So I took it off the camper, disassembled it again, and have tried all the tricks I can think of to pull the two pieces apart. No success. I can't budge it a hair. Lots of WD40, lots of tapping on the tubes. Something is fiercely stuck.

Am I missing something? Something I need to remove before I can get these things apart? I hate the though of buying new ones because I can't maintain the old ones.

Cheers,

JS

dragginbaet

Qualicum

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same experience. The likely reason is the tubes are stuck is because there is a build up of rust and grit between both tubes. You are on the right track; it's a slow process. Try using a better quality penetrating oil applied from the bottom. Stand the jack upside down for hours. You may have to repeat this several times before you get results. I separated the pieces using two techniques (the trick is you don't want to hammer pieces so hard as to cause damage). 1) I locked the jack in a vise and tapped the foot of the jack to get some movement. 2) With all the gears removed you'll notice a hole at the top end. I used a piece of rebar about 1 1/2 times the length of the jack and tapped it against the inside of the foot. Once thngs start moving the effort required will decrease. Before reassembly I cleaned the tubes with acetone and steel wool. Upon reassembly I greased the running surfaces of both tubes (it's messy). The root of the problem is that the recommended lubrication method is not effective. Little to no oil gets into the tube area and over time moisture and road dust causes gunk inside the tube. Happijac owners are left with no joice but to disassemble the jacks every 2-3 years to clean and lube the tubes.

goshawk

wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Draggin! I will patiently continue. It's good to know that I've got the concept correct.

JS

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geezus.....my new TC has Unhappijacks. This thread is pretty alarming..... Sounds like they are only meant to be used indoors.....

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 23  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac lubrication
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.