Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Any Mountaineer 347THT Owners?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Any Mountaineer 347THT Owners?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Next
RK Hauler

SW MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/10 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picking my 2010 up soon. Plan on putting the Road King in the garage. I am wondering what others who have this model are doing to haul their bikes. Main questions are:

How did you outfit it with a chock?
Are the tie-down points good enough?
Any issues with loading or unloading the bike on the 2 piece ramp?

Thanks for sharing any tricks you've learned and anything to watch out for.

Greg & Roxane
2010 Mountaineer 347THT Toyhauler
2002 F250 7.3 SRW CC LB Tow and Camper Package
2002 Harley Road King

sniperduce

Norman, Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/10 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Were looking at a this model for our Harley as well. The Montana dealer here indicated he has installed the Condor wheel chock in these models. Also Harbor Freight has a motorcycle chock that's a copy of the condor that looks like it will work. I have the HF chock in my enclosed trailer and it holds my 2008 Ultra just fine. I assume the tie down points are good as long as they anchor to the steel below the plywood. I would check that or add some E Track as well.
Good luck.

"Sniperduce"
2004 F350 PSD 6.0L 4x4 FX4 Lariat Crew Cab SB SRW Linex, etc.
2011 Montana Mountaineer 347 THT
16K Reese Slider Prodigy BC
2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

RK Hauler

SW MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/10 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of the bolt down HF chocks I was thinking of mounting on a piece of 3/4 plywood cut to fit the area where the front of the bike sits. Looked at the Condor, but so far haven't decided it was worth the extra $$. I may change my mind. Thanks.

D & M w/Tess & Jeri

KC MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed 2 Bike Pro wheel chocks in my pu several years ago. These units have a flat plate that is secured to the bed floor and the (removable) chock itself slides into 2 lock downs and secured by tightening down accorn bolts. Never a problem. The Bike Pro has a hinged cup that cradles the back of the wheel and is secured with the weight of the tire on it. I traded tv and removed both Bike Pros to mount one in the new tv and the other in the Mountaineer.
I just ordered a Mountaineer 347 THT and plan on having E-tracks installed as additional security. I was told by the dealership the D-rings are secured to the frame.
Sitting on the edge of my chair until it comes in.[emoticon]

Darrell & Mary
Tess our 14 yr old GOLDEN baby
'15 Jayco Precept 31 UL
'13 Wrangler Sahara
Roadmaster bp
Ready Brute Elite towbar & brake combo

D & M w/Tess & Jeri

KC MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greg, I just spoke with Montana customer service. I asked what the D-rings are mounted to. Response: 3 screws secure the D-rings, the 2 outside are secured into the wood floor, the 1 center screw is mounted to a steel plate that is welded to the frame and is rated at 1500#. I am keeping the option open for E-strips, but I may not install them once I see how the D-rings match up with the position of the bike.[emoticon]

RK Hauler

SW MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Darrell, thanks for checking into the info on the D-rings - it's good to know. Glad to hear you got a 347THT too! I'm thinking I'll end up with a Condor chock. Heck I tried the other day to get the bike into the HF chock and that thing wouldn't ride up over the back flip-thing. Probably didn't help that it wasn't bolted onto anything, but I'm also a little concerned when that back end does flip up it's going to hit the bottom of the front fender on the RK. Oh well, should've done it right the first time.

D & M w/Tess & Jeri

KC MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greg, let me know how your set up goes. I haven't had any problem with the flip up hitting the back of the fender on my Heritage. I don't have an extension on the fender but it would probably catch it if I did. It is really close. I put my bike on the lift and then slid the chock in to check clearance several years ago before I installed it. My dealer is going to check with their shop and factory about the steel plate---how far it goes toward the front. Hope to secure the chock plate to it.
Later. Darrell

Mainier

United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/10 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been in our's for a year (12.000 miles) now and have learned a few things with the road glide in the back. I have the Baxley wheel chock that has a very large foot print and it's bolted down with two bolts and two U bolts that secure it rock solid. One problem is the weight from the bike where the rear tire sits created a slight dent in the floor (after the first 6000 miles), so I just make sure there is a 2 foot by 2 foot 5/8 inch piece of plywood under the tire when the bike is set in the chock. Also make sure the ramp is properly adjusted and secure. I learned this first at the dealer while the unit was on display and I went to walk up the ramp and it folded in the middle around me...they didn't have it set up right!

D & M w/Tess & Jeri

KC MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/10 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Mainier,
Thank you for the tips. This is what makes this forum so valuable. What do the u-bolts attach to? 10-4 on proper setup on the ramp. Whew, you have probably saved me a lot of agony.
Darrell

RK Hauler

SW MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/10 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep for sure thanks on the tips, especially on the support under the rear tire.
As for that fender skirt - that's what the HF chock is hitting. I have been trying to think of a way to avoid bolting anything to the floor because when the bike is out and we're living in the thing, seems like it would be in the way more often than not. I am hoping that there's room under the front of the FW to garage the bike with one of those skirts when we're camped. It's gonna be fun figuring it all out!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 26  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Any Mountaineer 347THT Owners?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS