Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter RV camping

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Winter RV camping:

This information on winter RVing is provided courtesy of Tiger Run Resort, Breckenridge, CO.

DianneOK, moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Skiing and cold weather RVing can make for a fun vacation but, if you donโ€™t set up properly, a fun vacation can become a nightmare. Over the years Iโ€™ve watched a number of people forget some simple steps. The following guide may save you some grief.

1) The first thing is to follow that old IBM mottoโ€œTHINKโ€. Not every motor home is constructed the same. What may work perfectly fine on one RV may need to be modified to work on yours. THINK about what you are doing. THINK about what can go wrong.

2) SEWER: If you let your sewer line permanently connected make sure it has a continuous slope. This may be accomplished with a four inch plastic pipe or a half round pipe. If water has a place to collect it will freeze and when you flex the sewer line it will break. Wrapping the hose with insulation will slow the rate of freezing.

Many people keep the sewer line in a warm compartment and only hook it up when they want to dump the tanks. If you do this, return the hose to the compartment immediately after use.

Some RVโ€™s and especially fifth wheels have exposed holding tanks and/or dump valves or the holding tank compartments are not heated. Adding antifreeze to holding tanks can help. If the compartment is insulated, but not heated, adding a small space heater to the compartment may be enough.

Some people skirt or bank snow around the base of their RV. If you do this you will need to run breather tubes for the generator and heaters. Think carefully when you skirt, no two RVโ€™s are constructed the same. Many people believe that skirting traps moisture under the RV and accelerates corrosion.

Heat will escape anywhere it can. Placing refrigerator thermometers in compartments can give you an indication of potential problems. Using remotely read thermometers can make the job easier.

3) Water Hose: An unprotected water hose will rapidly freeze, even on relatively warm nights. There are two common ways of protecting your water line.

A) Fill your fresh water holding tank. Then disconnect the hose from at least the dog house, and drain it. Disconnecting at the dog house is important because the water must drain from the dog house faucet. Refill the fresh water tank when ever necessary.

B) At the office you can purchase an insulated, heated hose. Connect the male end of the hose to your inlet water connection. If your connection is on the outside of the coach, wrap the tail of the heater tape around the connection and cover with insulation.

Connect the female end of the heated hose to the dog house faucet. After you verify that there are no leaks in the connections, wrap the tail of the heater tape around the hose and the faucet and cover with insulation. Plug the heater tape into the GFCI protected duplex outlet in the electrical connection panel.

NOTE: Do not turn off or trip the GFCI circuit. This circuit is used to heat the potable water riser. If the GFCI is turned off freezing and expensive damage can result.

4) Jacks: Put blocks of wood under the leveling jacks. Jacks can and frequently do freeze to the concrete. They are almost impossible to free up when this happens. If you use wood, you can raise the jacks, drive forward, and then free up the wood with ice melt, hammer and chisels.

5) Gas Refrigerator: The refrigerant in a propane/electric refrigerator is a mixture of distilled water, ammonia, sodium carbonate and hydrogen gas, all at 200 psi pressure. When the temperature drops below 20 degrees this liquid can turn to a gel and may permanently plug the coils of the refrigeration system.

To help prevent this from happening, remove the outside refrigerator access cover and use duct tape to cover the top two (out of three) vent slots. Applying the tape to the inside of the cover will prevent leaving marks when removing the tape. Alternately, and easier to do, is to use round half inch pipe insulation to plug the top two slots from the outside.

It is also necessary to put a 100 watt light bulb behind the access cover near the base of the coils. Donโ€™t lean the bulb on any flammable material.

These tricks have helped me avoid the $1000+ repair bill required to replace the heat exchanger.

Many manufacturers do not insulate or heat the ice maker water supply. If your coach is one if these, either drain the water line or insulate and wrap it with heater tape on all exposed copper feed pipes.

6) Heat:

Hydro-Hot: Many new RVโ€™s are equipped with Hydro-Hot diesel fuel heating systems. At 10,000 ft there is 30% less oxygen and the fuel burns rich. The resulting soot can clog the combustion chamber and the fuel nozzle. If you are going to be here for more than a short period (a couple of days) it is necessary to adjust the air inlet port. On many RVโ€™s this is not a simple job, and unless you have previously performed a cleaning maintenance and/or nozzle replacement I donโ€™t recommend making your first attempt in the cold.

Contrary to popular believe Hydor-Hots are fuel guzzlers. The amount of diesel fuel used can be greatly reduced by turning on the Hydro-Hot 1650 watt electric heating element in addition to the diesel burner, and using a couple of small space heaters in the RV.

Propane: If you use propane heat, the propane on board your RV will likely only last a few days (less than a week).

Tiger Run has a limited number of 100 pound propane bottles available to rent on a first come basis. Your RV will need an Extend-a-Stay and connecting hose. Extend-a-Stays are available at the Tiger Run office. Install the Extend-a-Stay between the propane shut off valve on your RV and the pressure regulator. Be certain to shut off the RV propane valve when installing the Extend-a-Stay or when using the 100-lb bottle. Be certain to check for leaks with a soapy spray solution. If you are the least bit uncomfortable with this procedure, get a professional to help.

Heat Pumps: Heat pumps are not effective below 40 degrees F.

7) Entry Holes: Make sure that all entry holes around pipes and cables are packed with insulation.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Water Pump: A susceptible component is the water pump. This is often bolted to the basement floor and, because it is usually full of water it may need special attention. If the coach manufacturer does not supply sufficient heat, a small space heater placed in this location is usually sufficient.

9) Cables and Hoses: Keeping all cables and hoses off the ground and out of the snow may prevent damage, particularly when you get ready to leave.

10) Fuel: Use winter blend diesel fuel and/or add anti gel to your fuel before arriving at the RV park.

Preparing to Leave:

You do everything similar to a normal warm weather departure, but there are a few things to watch for:

11) Engine Block Heater: Turn on your engine block heater at least three hours before you start your engine. I generally run the block heater over night.

12) Slides:

Snow and Ice accumulates on the slide awnings. The slide awning generally will not properly roll up with snow or ice on it. Clean the snow, ice and frost off the awning.

Many slide awnings have a small anti-unravel arm attached to them. Even a light frost on the awning can upset the timing of this arm as it rotates. If the arm hits the side of the RV it can do serious damage to the awning or the coach itself. If the timing is affected, it may be necessary to brush the snow or frost from the edge of the awning as it rolls up.

Water and snow can accumulate on slide gaskets. This may prevent the slide from retracting. Sometimes pushing on the slide is just enough to assist the slide drive motor. If you know where the gasket is frozen, spraying RV antifreeze on the affected area may help.

Retracting the slide the night before you leave can save a lot of grief on a cold Colorado morning.

13) Hoses and Cables: Remember that after being in the cold for an extended period of time, hoses and cables are now stiff and some may be brittle. Use caution when removing and coiling hoses and cables.

Caveats:

Remember your situation is unique. THINK! Think about how the guide lines can be applied to your situation. Iโ€™ve been setting up in cold weather for ten years, and I still have a problems from time to time. Recently, it was 20 below and the water froze in my new RV. I needed to make a modification

Tiger run employees do not have the time and may not have the expertise to assist you with your set up problems. There are professional RV service personnel who will visit Breckenridge once or twice a week. You can get a list of these people at the office.

If you have a problem or need advice, contacting your coach manufacturer can be beneficial. If nothing else they may consider cold weather in future designs.

If this is your first time setting up in cold weather, observe how your neighbors are set up. This may give you some clues as to what to do, but bear in mind they may not know any more than you do.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes
191 REPLIES 191

Looks like spam

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MY-IVVI
Explorer II
Explorer II

In anticipation of our family adventure in Ontario, I dedicated significant time to preparing our beloved 2019 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige, mounted on a Ford chassis. The meticulous preparations began with a thorough inspection of the RV's mechanical systems, ensuring that everything was in prime working condition. I checked the engine, tires, brakes, and all fluid levels to guarantee a safe and smooth journey.

Inside the RV, meticulous packing was paramount. I ensured we had all the essentials for our trip, from kitchen supplies to bedding and entertainment for the road. Safety was a priority, so I confirmed that emergency supplies and first aid kits were easily accessible.

To enhance our comfort during the trip, I paid attention to the living space. I stocked up on groceries and essentials, making sure the kitchen was well-equipped for our culinary adventures on the road. Additionally, I made certain that the sleeping quarters were cozy and inviting, providing a homey atmosphere for restful nights.

Recognizing the unpredictable nature of the weather, especially in Ontario, I took precautions to address both warm and cold climates. I equipped the RV with appropriate clothing and bedding for varying temperatures and ensured the heating and cooling systems were functioning optimally.

One notable enhancement was the application of foam insulation to the underside of the motorhome, a lesson learned from a previous experience. This thoughtful addition significantly improved the warmth inside the RV, contributing to a more comfortable travel experience.

Now, as we roll through the scenic landscapes of Ontario, I am filled with gratitude for the careful preparations made. The 2019 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige, meticulously readied for the journey, serves as our reliable home on wheels, providing the perfect backdrop for family bonding and unforgettable moments in the beautiful province of Ontario.

24_7onroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, do you think it's a good time to live a full RV lifestyle in Europe now?

Do you have any experience in the last year due to the world's current situation?

Thanks!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
-39 C last night.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
The refrigerator is just not effective in cooling when the temps drop down below zero. It should still work fine when temps rise. If you have an ice maker, it may freeze and break. We put heat tape on ours in the winter.

Also only used space heaters in rooms with no thermostat. Let the room with the thermostat control the furnace. But when it was 6 degrees Fahrenheit or less, the furnace never shut off. We used 200 gallons of LP a month in 2015. But we stayed warm.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably just fine.

Moving-on
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had found this before our involuntary cold weather camping. I didnt know about the effects of the cold on refrigerators. And I hope ours is ok. As I said in the other thread, we coasted along in the 20s for awhile, but our pump feed line froze up on the second night of about 8 degrees. We had a full fresh water tank, with the tank heaters running. But I believe where I screwed up was running a space heater upstairs. I believe that it made the furnace cycle less, allowing the cold to creep into our belly. Since ours bleeds furnace heat between the floor and belly cover. I hope the fridge survived and that we never have to go that low again.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wheels will be turning before it goes to -40 ๐Ÿ˜‰

I like to visit the snow but that is just too chilly for me.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ansings wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
LI designed with heater for winter use. (Not perfect--but getting there):

***Link Removed***

Yeah, not bad.. I'm going to try camping this winter. I will try it as well. thx

Hi Ansings,

You may want to go to SiO2 batteries instead of LI. about 1/2 the price and able to be used at -40
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ansings
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

***Link Removed***

Yeah, not bad.. I'm going to try camping this winter. I will try it as well. thx

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

https://relionbattery.com/blog/lithium-battery-cold-weather

I called them about this battery. There tech guy said this is fine for occasional use but you are still better off keeping these batteries in a controlled temperature environment. Those were not his exact words but that's what he was getting at. I asked about leaving the battery in my truck camper year around here in Nebraska.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

https://relionbattery.com/blog/lithium-battery-cold-weather
Regards, Don

4nomads
Explorer
Explorer
this video shows how I Live full-time in in the Sierras Mountains https://youtu.be/o8yN2hLuNw4
I am putting up a new.video every week if you subscribe you will get the info
stay safe ????

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My solution to winter if to spend it in SW Arizona and a RO water system.

4nomads
Explorer
Explorer
As a full timer in the winter you have to be creative check out my fixes on my RV to become more 4 season
https://youtu.be/bL2FGnGWC-8