Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska Hwy fuel stops- see original posting

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Last edited on: October 23, 2015

This thread was started, to cover the subject of fuel availability , not prices, etc. For many travelers, at times, the availability of fuel, is of more importance than is the price per unit.

On another forum thread, the question was asked as to how far apart the fuel stops were on the Alaska Hwy. I said about 100 miles was the most I could remember. After making that comment I decided to check and see if that was still correct. We were up to Alaska, the last trip in 2011. Here is what I found, using mostly currently listed mile posts, for reference. Current mile post and historic milepost can be over 30 miles different, on the northern end of the Alaska Hwy. Current travelers, please advise of any changes needed by PM.

Alaska Hwy fuel stopsAlaska Hwy fuel stops โ€“ distance, Miles approx, to next fuel stop, north bound. As of summer of 2015, as reported by forum members.
(?) =has history of opening-closing, check ahead, if planning to use
(S) = Seasonal openings - not all seasonal are known or shown.
Daily operating hours unknown - may vary -

Two Mileposts are given - the current one and the historic one which is the address used for businesses along the Alaska Hwy. Changes in the Mileposts are the result of the Alaska Hwy being re-routed, straightened, etc. over the years since it was constructed.

Dawson Creek โ€“ Mile 0
Milepost 47 - Fort Saint John โ€“ 47 miles
MP 54/54 - Charlie Lake, Hwy 29 Junction - 7 miles
MP 72/72 - The Shepherd's Inn - 18 Miles
MP 101/101 - Wonowon โ€“ 29 miles
MP 140/143 - Pink Mountain (?) - 39 miles - both open -2011
MP 160/162 - Sikanni Chief (S)- 20 miles - open summer 2011
MP 173/175 - Buckinghorse Lodge โ€“ 13 miles
MP 227/233 โ€“ Prophet River Lodge โ€“ 54 miles
MP 283/300 - Fort Nelson โ€“ 56 miles
MP 358/375 โ€“ Tetsa River Services โ€“ 75 miles
MP 379/397 - Rocky Mountain Lodge(S) - 21 miles Open July 2011 - gas and diesel
MP 409/422 - Toad River (S) โ€“ 30 miles
MP 442/462 โ€“ Northern Rockies Lodge โ€“ 33 miles
MP 443/463 โ€“ Muncho Lake Lodge (?) โ€“ 1 mile โ€“ RV Park only - no fuel
MP 478/496 - Liard River Lodge (?)โ€“ 35 miles
MP 514/533 - Coal River Lodge โ€“ 36 miles
MP 570/590 โ€“ Contact Creek Lodge โ€“ 56 miles
MP 613/635 - Watson Lake โ€“ 43 miles
MP 626/649 - Junction 37 Services - 13 miles
MP 627/H650 - Nugget City - 1 mile -24 hour credit card pumps
MP 687/710 - Rancheria Lodge โ€“ 60 miles
MP 698/721 - Continental Divide Lodge - 11 miles
MP 777/804 - Teslin โ€“ 79 miles
MP 809/836 - Johnsonโ€™s Crossing -32 miles - reported as open, with fuel , Oct 2014
MP 837/866 - Jakes Corner โ€“ 28 miles
MP 887/918 - Whitehorse โ€“ 50 miles - All Services available
MP 964/H995 - Otter Falls Lodge - 77 miles - 24 hour pumps - credit cards
MP 985/1016 - Haines Junction โ€“ 21 miles - several stations
MP 1052/1083 - Destruction Bay โ€“ 67 miles
MP 1062/1093 - Burwash Landing โ€“ 10 miles
MP 1169/1202 - Beaver Creek โ€“ 107 miles
MP 1189/1222 - Port Alcan - 20 miles - border crossing - no tourist services

Crossing into Alaska - These milepost tend to be historic ones, any that still remain.

MP 1225 - Border City - Recently sold - No fuel sales. Reported Oct 2014 - may be open seasonal
MP 1226 - Scottie Creek - 1 mile no fuel reported fall of 2014
MP 1264 - Northway โ€“ 38 miles - 1st fuel in Alaska, northbound.
MP 1314 - Tok โ€“ 50 miles
MP 1422 - Delta Junction โ€“ 108 miles - Official end of Alaska Hwy
MP 1427 - Big Delta โ€“ 5 miles
MP 1478 - Salcha โ€“ 51 miles
MP 1505 - North Pole โ€“ 23 miles
MP 1520 - Fairbanks โ€“ 15 miles

Standard disclaimers apply. Check ahead if you are depending on a specific fuel stop.
If any of these are closed or if I have missed an open fuel stop, please post your info and I will update the list.

Cassiar HwyCassiar Hwy - Hwy 37

Cassiar Highway, Hwy 37, fuel stops north bound (MilePosts are approx. locations)
No changes reported as of the Fall of 2013
MP โ€“ 0 -Kitwanga Junction with Federal Hwy 16 (Hwy 37 continues on south to Kitimat BC)
Stewart is approx 138 miles from Kitwanga Junction. Fueling in Stewart will make it 95 miles on to Bell 2 Lodge. (next fuel northbound)
MP โ€“ 98 โ€“ Meziadin Junction โ€“ NO Fuel Services โ€“ Turn off to Stewart/Hyder โ€“ All Services in Stewart
MP โ€“ 155 โ€“ Bell II Lodge โ€“ 155 miles from Kitwanga
MP - 243 - Tatogga Lake Resort โ€“ 88 miles
MP โ€“ 253 โ€“ Iskut Village Store โ€“ 10 miles
MP โ€“ 304 - Dease Lake โ€“ 51 miles - has good deli
MP - 390 - Good Hope Lake - 60 miles - reported fuel sales in 2010
MP โ€“ 450 โ€“ Junction 37 Services โ€“ 60 miles โ€“ Junction with Alaska Highway
Stewart BC - station open set hours only - at end of Hwy 37A

North Klondike Loop โ€“ Hwy 2 โ€“ Whitehorse YT to Dawson City YT โ€“
(Whitehorse to Tok via Dawson City is 498 miles.)
Alaska Hwy Junction โ€“ Milepost 894.8 DC โ€“ 323 mile/520 km
Mileposts below, are from the Junction, north of Whitehorse to Dawson City- North bound.
Whitehorse โ€“ All Services available - Hwy 2 Junction (J) is 10 miles north of down town. Approx 7.5 miles north of turn off for Two Mile Hill in Whitehorse.
Braeburn Lodge โ€“ J55.2 MP โ€“ food/fuel/rooms
46.3 miles to:
Carmacks - J101.5 MP โ€“ food/fuel/rooms/general store
66.3 miles to:
Pelly Crossing /Selkirk Centre - J167.8 MP โ€“ fuel/general store/rooms
43.8 miles to:
Stewart Crossing โ€“ J211.6 MP โ€“ fuel/food
approx. 111 miles to: Dawson, the next fuel
Klondike River Lodge โ€“ J298.3 MP โ€“ Closed due to a fire(2012).
Dawson City โ€“ J323.4 MP โ€“ Most tourist services available

Top of the World Hwy from Dawson City to Junction of Taylor Hwy in Alaska
(Boundary Spur Road) from Dawson City (D)
Border Crossing โ€“ D65.7 MP โ€“ Canadian and US Customs โ€“ No tourists services
Boundary Roadhouse(?) โ€“D69.6 MP โ€“ No fuel - closed by a recent fire
Taylor Highway โ€“ rejoins the Alaska Hwy just east of the town of Tok.
Chicken Alaska โ€“ D108.3 MP โ€“ fuel/food/lodging
Tetlin Junction โ€“ D174.7 MP (on Alaska Hwy)
Tok is 12 miles west on the Alaska Hwy

South Klondike Highway, Hwy 2 โ€“ Skagway to Junction with Alaska Hwy , 12 miles from Whitehorse YT.

Mileposts given are from Skagway, north bound. (S) Hwy 98 in Alaska, Hwy 2 in Yukon.
Skagway โ€“ MP 0 โ€“ Most tourist services available
US-Canadian Border โ€“ S14.7 โ€“ No Services
Canadian Customs โ€“ MP S22.5 โ€“ No Services
Carcross โ€“ MP S65 โ€“ Most tourist services available
Junction with Alaska Highway - MP S98 -

Call ahead if you have to have fuel at a specific location - Stations may close without notice - Some are seasonal - Hours of operations will vary at many.

A good, general source of information, on fuel prices in Canada is MJ Ervin and Associates, doing business as Kent Marketing Services, a Canadian petroleum consulting firm. Fuel prices will vary in towns, just like anywhere else, so check around.
http://www.kentmarketingservices.com/dnn/portals/0/Pricing/WPPS_Public.htm
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".
104 REPLIES 104

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The two best ways to travel to Alaksa are to take the State Ferry from Bellingham, WA or to fly to Anchorage and rent an RV. I rented a Dodge pickempup with a camper and toured the whole state.

Then you can save all of that wear and tear on your rig and the fuel bill.
Spend your time being their instead of getting there.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of talking about cash, but what currency?
I have no intention to exchange for Canadians dollars, so will gas stations accept US dollars in emergency?

borderbrae
Explorer
Explorer
"The PenFed Cash Rewards card has no transaction fees and 5 percent cash back on fuel every month. The card must be swiped at the pump for the cash back. Requires a second account and I have a $25 money market account.

Be sure that your card does not have transaction fees."

That particular PenFed card has been discontinued. Those who have it still get the cash back but no new cards have been issued since last fall.
Jean
Casita 17' SD
Chevy Silverado w/extended cab

RDJeff
Explorer
Explorer
What is the problem with using an American card for pay-at-the-pump in Canada? I've run into this problem a few times. Not a huge problem during business hours, but could be a problem at night.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just like the US virtually every station in Canada takes Visa/MC.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Hardly even seen a gas station in Canada that doesn't take Visa/MC. The only discussion is usually whether I can swipe at the pump or have to go inside with my US card.

That said, in the RV I always have enough cash for a fillup. Just in case the credit card system isn't functioning for whatever reason.

BDSUSA
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
The PenFed Cash Rewards card has no transaction fees and 5 percent cash back on fuel every month. The card must be swiped at the pump for the cash back. Requires a second account and I have a $25 money market account.

Be sure that your card does not have transaction fees.

Thanks for the response but this really does not answer my question.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The PenFed Cash Rewards card has no transaction fees and 5 percent cash back on fuel every month. The card must be swiped at the pump for the cash back. Requires a second account and I have a $25 money market account.

Be sure that your card does not have transaction fees.

Bob

BDSUSA
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best way to pay for diesel fuel on a road trip from Idaho to Alaska? Do the stations take Visa or is a specific gas card better? I have found that Chevron, Texaco, and Shell donโ€™t seem to be in an abundance on the route through British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon Territory, and Alaska.

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
If traveling the Alaska Hwy, fuel up in Ft St John, Ft Nelson, Contact Creek, Teslin Yukon Motel, Otter Falls Cutoff, possibly Beaver Creek or Border city (maybe about 30 miles between the two), and Tok. They are doable for 30+/- gallon diesel tank and 9mpg. A spare 5gal can of diesel will add to your comfort factor. Prices in 2015 were in the range of $1.09 to $1.39/litre, 3.8 litres to the gallon, CDN, where the Canadian $ is trading at a 33% discount to the US$. There are other places, but these have been the most reliable and least expensive over the last 10 years.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a local Canadian explained. "In a given area there is no fuel price fixing it's just that all of the prices are the same."

In 2013 we found that Gas Buddy in Canada was not very useful and often not updated for our Alaskan trip. Guess why?

Also be aware that cell data can be very expensive in Canada. You might be able to connect to the usually slow and unreliable CG WiFi.

Bob

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
The app works but the problem is getting updates further up the highway.

All of the stations that indicate they have diesel do. The problem here is, with the size of your rig getting to the pump may be difficult. Generally if the station is along the highway you can get to the pump. If the station is more in town it may be difficult. We bypassed some pumps in favor of a cheaper station up the road. The station looked like it was near the main road. When we arrived it was in a shopping center and the pump alignment made it impossible accessing the pump. We ended having to drive a long ways out of the way to get get fuel. We wasted more fuel and time than if had paid 3 cents a liter more earlier.
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Gas Buddy phone app work in Canada and Alaska?? Also do the stations listed all sell diesel fuel?
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
For those doing 2015 planning here are Diesel prices we paid (I put a comma in for those that want to import as a CSV:

CITY , $/Gal
Puyallup WA , $4.66
Vancouver , $5.49
Whistler , $5.41
100 Mile House , $5.52
Vanderhoof , $5.48
Smithers bC , $5.64
Stewart , $5.79
Iskut , $6.41
Teslin , $5.68
Whitehorse , $5.64
white horse 2nd fill , $5.58