Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 184  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/20 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally Time, we live in a semi-arid region, with water restrictions, not to mention it gets seriously hot. That truly limits what we can plant, so we tend to stick with native flora. We're not quite xeriscaping, but close, simply because we cannot afford to water five acres.

We'll do what the ag experts here recommend, once we decide on the native species. In many cases, that's simply tossing the seed out in the general vicinity of "dirt," then leaving it alone. Our "dirt" is broken down limestone, mostly, with a teeny bit of loam that's formed under the live oak trees over the decades. It's super thin, which some native species like and others don't so much.

Magnus, I honestly do not know if the local whitetail eat clover. Haven't done my full research yet.

Speaking of deer, a doe herd seems to be forming again. We had nine deer in our meadow, mostly around the garden fence and shed yesterday, including Leoghaire and her one surviving baby from a couple years ago. Five were fawns. I hope they can survive the poachers.

It rained a good part of today, slow mostly, with occasional downpours. Total was 1.82", which we really needed. Pool's almost an infinity pool again.

Czarny wanted out, but it was too wet to stay, so he did the "kitty on the wrong side of the door" most of today, poor guy.

We put Tall Friend and Short Friend on a plane to Wisconsin yesterday, headed to a wedding. Was quite the effort, what with TF's wheelchair and walker, the Stetson hat box he insisted on taking, two checked bags, and a backpack SF wore with all the rest of their carry-on stuff. WLToo went into the terminal with them, dragging the check-in luggage, while I drove to the cell phone waiting lot. We haven't heard from them, so we're assuming they got there okay.

Since Mom's no longer living with us, we decided to chance going to a restaurant tonight. Had some lovely Tex-Mex, lots of space between patrons, pleasant atmosphere. It was nice.

Got home in time for a lovely sunset. I do with our cameras could capture how beautiful the sky gets here, but it's never quite right. Sigh.

Czarny wants to play. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Harley, blacker cat

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got some rain and the deer herd is on the increase. Deer here like our acorns. We've been going to local restaurants for about 2 months now. Everything is spaced out and the food just seems to taste better. We went out for pork chops and gravy last night. Nothing on tv. Saw they were televising cornhole championships. New one on me. Passed over it too. We've been going through our dvd collection and enjoying movies that you don't normally see anymore. Probably because they have John Wayne in them. He's not considered politically correct anymore.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a local movie channel that shows John Wayne movies, even the stinkers.

Today a cold snap showed up. Temps were 35 degrees below normal and it rained some more. I had to wear long pants and a windbreaker! Then it rained some more. Now we've gotten over 5" since 1 Sep, more than half of it this week. The swimming pool is an infinity pool yet again, and Spousal Unit set up a bypass so more rain won't drain into the pool from the roof.

Poor Czarny can't figure out why it went from hot to chilly so fast, not to mention wet. He's spent most of yesterday and today on his towers.

The deer herd is much enjoying the new growth, so they're spending more time in our meadow -- not that we can see them much, what with the rain obscuring the view...

Short Friend noticed I have a coupon to their favorite restaurant, so instead of us cooking Sunday, we're all going there. Time for a good German meal, anyway.

Czarny woke up and wants to play. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blappity, blappity, kerwhump! Blappity, blappity, kerwhump!

Hearing what sounded like a basketball game on our roof, we just went outside to see six vultures congregated up there. Most were black-headed vulture, but one was a turkey vulture. The black-headed ones may have been pecking at the turkey vulture.

Now they're kettling over the house. Czarny took cover under the F-350, and I had to coax him out and back into the house, since he was terrified that the big birds would swoop him like the barn swallows did, only worse.

We can't smell what they smell, so we're at a loss as to why they are congregating directly overhead. Meanwhile, vulture feathers are all over the roof and drifting in the breeze.

Just another day in the countryside...

Stephany

Brier, WA (just north of Seattle)

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I'd get the hose out to persuade those vultures to move along! That sounds more annoying than the repeated mating drills from flickers on our metal chimney cap at 0 dark hundred!

Stephany

Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 almost grown kids, a bouncing baby beagle and a camping cat
2003 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poor Czarny; those pesky birds just keep getting bigger and bigger! Better not replay Hitchcock's "The Birds". Poor feller would need therapy after that.

We have a German restaurant here but Herself is not keen. It's no longer open now because of COVID. We headed over to a mom and pop's tonight for steak and shrimp. Great to not have to cook tonight. Hoping we get your cooler weather here.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we were pretty disappointed in the German food. The sauerbraten wasn't -- it was just a roast in brown gravy. The Zigeurnerschnitzel was some bizarre mess that bore zero resemblance to the real thing. At least the Jaegerschnitzel and the Raumschnitzel were authentic. The side dishes were fine.

The accordionist stopped by our table and next thing I know, we're having a long conversation in Texas German Dialect (local blend of Old and modern German, Spanish, English and a dash of Comanche). I normally speak modern German, but fell right into TGD. So that part of the dining experience was outstanding.

Mom, Nephew, and dog Yoda came to stay with us all day yesterday. Seems Sister's house has interesting electrical issues, and the electricians had to do some pretty extensive work yesterday. Well, Yoda met Czarny and it did not go well for Yoda. Good thing I'd recently trimmed Czarny's claws, or he'd have filleted Yoda's nose. When Nephew announced, "Time to go," Yoda was outside and in the car long before Mom had collected her stuff.

Czarny turned up his nose at his water fountain last night (dog slobber); it got cleaned again. He's happy today. Nice weather for being outside all morning, napping on a tower now. I suspect Yoda is thrilled to be safe at home with his buddy, ginger cat Monty.

We still have at least two hummingbirds, but they're not drinking down the feeder very fast, so something hummer friendly has bloomed in the area.

Time to get moving, before I fall asleep in my chair. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our hummers have decreased in visits as well. I'm sure they all migrated farther south. Sorry the food wasn't up to snuff.

Dog slobber is contamination in the view of our cats. They think its toxic waste.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloudy day, but they don't seem interested in sharing the rain with us -- not that we need it, but when one lives in a semi-arid region, rain is always welcome. Until the flooding begins, of course...

Got the garden planted. Czarny helped by chasing bugs for us.

Suppertime. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, any rain is good unless the house is floating away.[emoticon]

I wonder what Czarny would do if you got some chickens?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 184  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.