Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 179  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have sufficient firewood to go the winter, if the Farmer's Almanac for a mild winter is accurate. Today's kind of raw, with the wind howling, but not so cold that we need the heater. So right now Spousal Unit is lighting the fireplace.

Czarny's inside for the night. Today just wasn't as nice, so he's happy to be up on his tree.

All the fruits and vegetables are sliced and arranged on serving platters. The meats, breads, crackers and cheeses need only to be arranged on platters. The pickles, sauces, dips, and jams will be decanted in the morning. All that's really left to do is make the hot mulled wine in large quantity, then placed in my largest crockpot.

White Christmas and Holiday Inn are ready to show. We're ready for Christmas Day.

Tonight is the traditional pork tamales dinner, just the two of us. Tomorrow Tall and Short Friend and TF's daughter and granddaughter will join us on the deck most of the day, since the temps are going to be in the mid- to high 60s, sunny and no wind.

May you all have a very Merry Christmas, safe and secure.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merry Christmas to you all. For dinner the family feasted on Pitchfork Deep Fried Prime Rib and Deep Fried Turkey. We don’t have many leftovers. The adult children took home enough meat to make sandwiches. We squirreled away enough meat for Herself and me to have a Dagwood sandwich. The family was appreciative of the prime rib and the ‘show’ that went with it. [emoticon]

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ate extremely well. Spent most of our time out on the deck in the sun, while Czarny wandered the meadow and occasionally came up to check on me. Lovely day.

Today will be just as warm, but it's a touch breezy. Czarny's asleep on his tower and his humans are being very, very lazy.

I think a nap may be in order shortly. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

We ate extremely well. Spent most of our time out on the deck in the sun, while Czarny wandered the meadow and occasionally came up to check on me. Lovely day.

Today will be just as warm, but it's a touch breezy. Czarny's asleep on his tower and his humans are being very, very lazy.

I think a nap may be in order shortly. Later, y'all.

Sounds to me like Czarny is enjoying his "only child" status. We spent the morning doing clean up and dealing with the oil from the deep frying. It's now in a lot of empty milk jugs ready to be hauled to recycling. This afternoon I'll finish installing the new toilet in the half bath. Tomorrow we'll be cutting back some bushes that are long overdue for a trimming. It's an early bed time for me tonight. I'm getting too old for this.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we're beginning to recover from the food comas...

Spousal Unit took the rest of the raw veggies and turned them into a nice soup. We just have to find some friends to eat the candy that was gifted to us -- I can't eat it, and he doesn't like it.

Czarny's definitely enjoying his "only cat" status. At the moment, he's zonked on a blanket in the spare bedroom. In a bit, he'll wake up and demand to go back out one more time before sundown, then take me for a walk in the moonlight before finally coming in for the night. He's not spoiled or anything...

Speaking of -- time to let the cat out. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cats do love their routines. Comforting in a way.
Soup is always good. The candy can be given to people in nursing homes maybe? Or a neighbor?

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Czarny's spending the day sleeping in a chair on the north porch, out of the breeze. He wasn't happy going in and out, until I propped the north door open. Now he's laying upside down in the chair, zonked.

Our Army buddies took the candy. Good, Tall Friend needs all the calories he can get these days.

I tried to sneak up on Czarny and get a catnap photo. No dice. But he kinda posed for me:
[image]

We just finished securing all the loose stuff outside. Supposed to be a windy, side-blowing storm coming through this evening, scattered thunderstorms all day Wednesday, then outright rain on Thursday. I do hope so -- we so need the rain, and if it's really wet, we won't be on fire watch Thursday night.

Spousal Unit's calling -- guess there's still loose stuff out there. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is that Czarny's designated throne? [emoticon]
We're supposed to get thunderstorms today, tomorrow and Friday. Glad your candy found a home belly. I don't need it either. I'm willing to give up all candy to have a decent meat for special occasions. The Pitchfork Deep Fried Prime Rib was a huge hit. I'm hankering for more but have to watch myself because Hogmanay's coming.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holy Moley! Has it really been that long since I posted? Wow.

So what's up in the Hill Country? Well, it's winter. That means some days are sunny, 76 degrees with lows in the 50s or 60s (that would be today). Some days are sunny and in the 40s/50s/60s with lows in the 30s/40s/50s. A few days are rainy (yesterday). We layer up (windbreaker/rain jacket over a tee shirt, or flannel shirt over tee shirt, and even wear socks.

But it's hardest on Czarny. If the wind blows enough to lower the feels like temperature, he plays kitty on the wrong side of the house all day. If it's nice enough for us to leave a couple doors open, he dashes in for a snack and a petting, then back out again to survey his domain. When it rains, he stays in the house and whines between naps.

February should be springtime here. Spousal Unit is already getting the beds ready for planting - those which are not already growing stuff.

We added a 5 1/2' square table to the deck, with eight swivel rocker chairs. Now we can feed the hordes nicely distanced outside, and still have a dance out there. I'm making more space in the office/sewing room/library, now that Spousal Unit has moved most of his model railroad stuff out of the way. I can get to the old files I still need to go through, then move that box out. Found more of his folks' jewelry, family photographs, and interesting stuff we don't quite know what to do with, but they don't take up too much space. Went through the DVDs and gave a bunch of them to the library and local thrift store, which cleared out three book boxes. Moved two small boxes of sheet music into the music room, so I can decide what to keep and what to give to the thrift store. Now, if we could just find someone who would take his grandma's bone china and crystal, we'd have at least six more cubic feet of room in there...

I guess that qualifies as spring cleaning around here.

We've seen no sign of Leoghaire or her last living fawn in almost two months. A couple of young does stay in our meadow at night, then leave during the day, so it's possible the whole herd is busy looking for something to eat elsewhere. The young does approach us when we talk to them, so I'm betting someone has a big feeder nearby. Hope they're feeding something better than corn...

Oh, well, break's over. Back into the office. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear from you. We were wondering.

Our Hogmanay and Burns' Night were better than ever. Each year there are more people as word spreads. We had a total of 68 attending this year. There were 3 pipers and 3 haggis, one piper per 'chieftain of the pudding race'. They processed in with the appropriate piping pomp. Rabbie Burns' "Address to a Haggis" was read and the haggis along with plates and plates of traditional foods were served up.

Scottish country dancing worked off the calories but I'm not that fleet of foot. I'd rather stand on the side and keep my kilt unfluttered. Herself had an outstanding partner on the floor and I was glad.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 179  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.