Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 179  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a fine, fine time, Magnus.

We started the research into a Jeep Wrangler to replace Spousal Unit's F-350. We need a dinghy for the RV, and he prefers the Wrangler. The sticker shock still has him reeling, but I did remind him that the blue book value of his F-350 will knock that price down to something semi-reasonable. Now he's trying to sucker me into detailing the truck. Not even....

Czarny had a good day today. Two doors were open, so he could run around and around and around the house at will. Now he's zonked on his tower.

A fox trotted across the deck about 1530, which was a bit surprising. They usually transit the deck in the early morning and evening.

Our county now has a sign-up list for the COVID vaccine, so we're signed up. Whenever it finally gets some vaccines, they'll start down the list.

Cold front coming in tonight, so we harvested the last of the broccoli and all the brussel sprouts big enough to harvest. Not supposed to freeze, so the remaining sprouts ought to come through just fine. It's also time to plant the spring garden, so that should keep us busy for several days.

He's just gotten out the ice cream. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoping that fox was not rabid.

We both had our first vaccines. The big problem is whether or not we'll be able to get the second injection in a timely manner. Shortages are becoming an issue.

Hope Czarny steers clear of that fox. Hope you all are able to avoid COVID.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know a lot of people are concerned about the second dose being available. Having worked with vaccinations for 40+ years, booster and the like, there isn't a magical time at 3 or 4 weeks where the booster doesn't work. The vaccines are authorized based on clinical trials where the time frame is specified, therefore the 3 or 4 week time.

We find with most vaccines we deal with that boosters due in 3-4 weeks are equally effective when given at least within 6 weeks. I'm sure with this roll out we'll get accurate data about delayed boosters.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that was fast. The county has already shut down the vaccine signups, after 12,000 got on the list in one day, and it was only open to medical, first responders, over 65, and over 16 with specific medical issues. Be interesting to see how long it takes before our turn comes.

Meanwhile, we'll just stay up here on our hillside and continue to limit interactions with other humans. Us always being here makes Czarny very, very happy, anyway.

Spousal Unit blanched and froze the broccoli, then made a beef and cabbage soup with the last of our garden cabbages. It's really good. I'll saute the brussel sprouts tomorrow. We'll start the new garden on Saturday, I believe.

Kinda noisy today, what with three houses going up on the other side of our west fence. I hope they are not vacation rentals...

Time to walk down to get the mail. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has a subdivision gone in next to you? I bet you could take a peek at the posted permits and tell who the owner(s) is-are. I'm sorry to hear you're getting hemmed in.

Made Lowcountry Chicken Bog for the crew yesterday. Good comfort food. Posted the recipe in the Camp Cooks Connoisseur forum section.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No subdivision, Magnus, just some houses finally being built on an old plat that's been there for years.

We've been iced in, with even lower temps forecast for in the morning, in the single digits. Good thing we have no need to be anywhere except here. I pulled out my ski socks and a heavy sweatshirt, and we're keeping the fireplace going to lessen the strain on the heat pump. Unless we have a power outage, we're fine. The firewood is on the covered south porch, which hasn't iced up, so we don't have to go out into the ice.

The frost weed burst, and I finally got a good look at it. Took a couple photos, since Mom's never seen frost weed in the form that gave it the name.

Two does came by yesterday, just before things started icing up. They got a drink from the water trough, grazed on the grass on the south side of the house, then carefully made their way across the drive to the lower slope.

Just a while ago, a songbird flew into the hot tub spillway to get a drink. Brrr. The weather is colder, but we can finally see the lake again in the darkening sky, so that 1"-3" snow forecast may not be for us after all.

Czarny's having a bad time. He desperately wants to go out, but can't stay more than a minute or so. He's reduced to having to use the Litter Robot, poor guy. It's too frozen out there to dig, too cold on his feet, too slick to stay upright -- just bad for house cats in general.

Spousal Unit just announced dinner. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're getting negative numbers here too. The animals are laying in our laps and on our bed to stay warm. They run to the door to look out but when we open the storm door they said "forget that noise". They run back into the house.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas power grid, which is configured for max usage during summer heat, couldn't handle Uri, which gave us the coldest time in my area since 1951. So we lost power Monday morning and didn't get it back until Tuesday morning. That was a mild inconvenience, what with the heavy house insulation and the fireplace. We cooked on our camp stove and used the camp lanterns after dark.

The real trouble is the water company has never insulated any of the well heads, so they froze. No water to the distribution stations, which didn't have power anyway, because the water company has never installed power backups. Then various water lines cracked or broke, because they're shallowly buried (we don't have a frost line to deal with). One of the water towers on the north side of the lake cracked and became a lovely frozen fountain (not our service area).

So we're warm, we can cook, and we're melting snow (we got at least 5") for washing and flushing. If necessary, we'll run it through our camping water filtration/sanitizing system to drink, if we can shovel up enough. It's all gonna melt today and tomorrow. Trouble is this snow was so dry that a gallon of it only makes a couple cups water. When the road clears, we can go to the store, but all the drinking water is already gone.

The water issue may be long term.

Czarny goes outside several times a day, but he can't get off the south porch. He's spending most of his time on top of a cat tower. Occasionally, he runs from window to window, chittering at the mockingbirds who are looking in at him.

Well, time to shovel more snow into the bathtub before it's all gone. Later, y'all.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pictures from TX tell a devastating story. I'm glad your disruption has been minor. We're used to the temps and storms here in the upper midwest so they have more temporary effect because our infrastructure has been designed for them. Our foot of snow and -8 temp slowed things for 24 hrs and some businesses shut for a day or two. Mostly people couldn't get into work because the snow plows covered their cars or put a mountain of snow at the end of their driveway.

I could ship you some snow [emoticon]. Stay safe and warm.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/21 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm very sorry to hear of your trials, WL. Sorry for the folks in TX and elsewhere too. Smart to put all the snow you can in the tub. I hope FEMA can get some bottled water to the folks without. That's the first I heard of a water tower cracking. Incredible!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 179  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.