Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 184  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got plenty of snow, thanks, dturm. Got another 3" or more today, and we promptly shoveled that into the bathtub.

This fourth storm should be the last of winter here. We start warming back up to normal tomorrow and by Tuesday-Wednesday, we'll be back in the 60s-70s highs. Next week is our normal last freeze date and we usually plant the garden the week after.

Czarny went out for a whole minute, and when he realized he was being snowed on, demanded we let him back inside. Hasn't shown any interest in going out again.

The whole doe herd was down in the meadow today. Until the storm, we really hadn't seen all of them in quite a while, just that one pair.

We have a number of mockingbirds here, and they've been sheltering on the south porch. Drives Czarny nuts when he notices them.

Got to go boil more water. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Harley, blacker cat

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunshine!!! Snow's melting fast, roads are clearing very quickly. We still don't have water, but we can drive to Sister's place and get a shower now. We walked the water line down to the main and saw no signs of leaks (fingers crossed/knock on wood), but we won't know until the water company has itself sorted out.

Czarny spent almost five minutes outside before deciding it's still cold. He still can't get off the porch -- it's cold and wet out there and his little toes do not appreciate it.

Tonight we'll have one more hard freeze, then that's it for winter.

Spousal Unit said Leoghaire and her last fawn (about two years old) were down by the gate this morning. She's really showing her age now.

Got to chop some cabbage for soup. Later, y'all.

Stephany

Brier, WA (just north of Seattle)

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's so great that your Spring is just around the corner and that you have access to water and a shower. I hope access to water in your house happens very soon!

We got our first dump of snow here in Seattle this past week and it was a doozy, and it is also melting fast. But the lack of power and water with a snow dump and sustained low temps is heartbreaking. I hope things get back to normal soon.

Stephany

Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 almost grown kids, a bouncing baby beagle and a camping cat
2003 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WL I'm glad to hear you all have survived and Spring is starting to spring. It's rough to be without water. REALLY ROUGH. BTDT.

I see MS and LA both are struggling as well. Our prayers go out to everyone. Wish we could help out somehow.

We'll have about a month of roller coaster temps before we start to see any real change of seasons. Our wood pile is low now. At least we still have some fallen trees to chainsaw and split. Doing that tomorrow.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water's flowing, but we're still under a boil order. We're also not real trusting, so we've filled up all the containers again, just in case. We'll relax only when the water company has verified it's fixed itself and cancelled the boil order.

Because the water is running clear, we went ahead and ran the dishwasher. Cleaning the kitchen was priority number one. But we don't want to overstress the water heater, in case the water's not properly flowing into it, so we'll hold off on showers until tomorrow, if the water's flowing reasonably normally.

Snow's melted, it's 60 degrees and sunny, so Czarny insisted I chase him around outside. While trotting from cat squat to cat squat, I checked various items for damage. Nothing is apparent so far, but we won't know for sure until the ice finally melts out of the leaf catcher in the pool pump plumbing, and the big chuck in the middle of the water trough. I don't think the trough is damaged at all, but it will be a couple more days before we can be certain.

We also haven't put a ladder up to check if anything on the RV roof might be damaged. Waiting for the ground around it to be dry.

Tentatively hopeful that we dodged any serious damage (fingers crossed/knock on wood).

I see a cat at the door. Time to for him to take his human walkies again. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The boil order was lifted today. Today was in the 80s, which is about 15 degrees above normal, but it will drop back to normal tomorrow, so I won't be breaking out my shorts just yet.

Unfortunately, we did not escape entirely unscathed. Our swimming pool pump and heater did not survive the no power period and the ice killed them, we're pretty sure. Of course, homeowner insurance does not cover them when ice damaged, so that won't be a cheap repair/replacement. That's a fair dent in the Spousal Unit model railroad building construction fund. Sigh.

Czarny's been having a lovely few days, running in and out of the house at will, demanding his human come out and play, chasing birds, then crashing on his tower.

It's a lovely full moon out there. Think I'll do a bit of stargazing. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about the damage. We escaped pretty much unscathed here. Now we have temps in the 70s. It will cool down again next week. I'm trying to get hedges trimmed before then.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're back to normal, temps-wise. We're done cleaning up, just on the list for the pool repair guy to schedule a look at our systems.

Now we're gearing up for the spring planting.

The deer herd is moving into the lower meadow again. Spousal Unit saw a four-point buck with them, but he ran out the gate as soon as SU drove down the drive. Leoghaire was still with us. We dumped some old pecans in her dog dish, in case any passing critter wanted a taste. So far, lots of nibblers have strolled by.

Czarny wants me to go for another walk. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad Leoghaire is still around. Czarny sure has become a cuddle guy hasn't he.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Magnus, Czarny is more than just a cuddle guy. He's a very demanding cuddle guy. The only thing he's not is a head bumper.

Pool repair guy will be here Friday to give us an estimate on the pump and heater. Other than that, we're done with the four-storm fun and games.

We had a herd of 15 does and a couple bucks pass through the meadow a couple days ago. I'd begun to dispair of ever seeing a large herd again. It's certainly nowhere near the size of the doe herd or the buck herd of 2010, but it was a nice sight.

Got our second COVID vaccination last Wednesday. I'm taking Mom to get hers this Wednesday.

Other than that, we're just hanging out on our hillside, getting ready to plant the garden. Finally.

Honestly can't think of anything else that's going on, so I'll just say y'all have a pleasant evening. Later.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 184  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.