Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 191  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our RV trip that was to begin last Friday didn't. Started Obi-Wander up, raised the levelers, then he decided not all the levelers were up, even though they were. Put him in drive and the leveler panel shrieked bloody murder. Nothing we did would change its ire.

So we tossed everything into my truck, got a hotel room, and went to the gathering anyway. Short and Tall Friend watched over the place and Czarny. We had a great time and got home this afternoon.

Now we have to get Obi-Wander fixed, and then I believe we're done with that particular RV. It's been one danged thing after another and we've just lost the desire to take it out, knowing something else is likely to go wrong. Winnebago did not cover itself with glory or good reputation with this model.

Wind, wildfires, dirt, pollen -- it's definitely spring around here.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

Winnebago did not cover itself with glory or good reputation with this model.
I'm sorry about the troubles. Obi-wander is Obi-won't: he has no honor. At least you had a good time.

We're going out on a trip after Easter. Getting out of the pollen zone for awhile or at least to a place with a lower pollen count: cruising the Gulf coast of MS, AL, and FL visiting family and friends but no tourist traps. Will retrace the route on the way home to avoid the Atlanta chaos. Georgia has nice state parks but the interstates all seem to go through Hotlanta with its traffic.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Came home from our visit and promptly got sick. I had the throw-up, then diarrhea for several days, and Spousal Unit had the reverse. We both wound up exhausted and dehydrated, but we got better. Then he fell off the bed, hit his head, severely damaged one toe, and wrenched his back. Poor baby is a mess.

We're off to a scifi convention this coming weekend, where he will sell copies of one of his books and my first published short story will be introduced. It's on sale at Amazon right now; the hard copy version should be ready by then; if not, then at Fencon in September. In my story, there's a ghost cat named Luka. He looks exactly like Spotacus...

Anyway, Czarny will be staying home. Tall and Short Friend are staying with him. They've decided they want a lap cat, and this autumn, they'll be ready to find an indoor cat who will happily park on their laps as long as they like. Czarny is only a lap cat with me, but he'll happily accept a base-of-tail scratch from anyone. Them being here with him will keep him in his normal habits, and help them learn a bit about feline quirks.

I see the pool vac is done. Best clean it out before the alleged rain shows up. Later, y'all.

* This post was edited 04/24/22 06:24pm by Wanderlost *

Bill Ky

Commonwealth of Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/22 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2014 Forest River R-Pod 179, 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 slt quad 4.7 flex

“Whom do I fear?”

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/22 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, TulKon was a blast, and our group is infamous now... We'll be at it again at LibertyCon and FenCon later this year. With several books published and more coming, we're definitely getting known.

Back around the ol' homestead, we have a ruby throat hummingbird, along with the rufus and black-chin. Been years since a ruby decided to hang around.

It's mid-May and we still haven't gone swimming. The pool has decided it's going to stay green, no matter how much shock, algae killer, and pool vaccuum runs we use. Hope this weekend's forecasted rain tempers the water somewhat.

Our first fawn this year was stillborn, just below the pool. We didn't realize it until the turkey vultures planted themselves on the just re-stained pool deck rail. I hope that fawn was an anomaly and not a bad sign for this year's fawns. I still remember about 10 years ago, when nearly every fawn that year was stillborn or died within a few weeks. Made Leoghaire's survival that much more miraculous.

Keeping Mom here this weekend, while Sister has a short vacation with her friend. We got her a four-wheel rolling walker, which she's not using. Just piling stuff on it. Sigh. It would work so much better than the walker she's presently humping around.

I pulled out a crocheted afghan last night, and Czarny made it crystal clear that it's now his favorite napping spot.

Got a jury summons. As retired law enforcement/intelligence, I've never been selected and won't this time either, but I still have to show up and waste the whole day. At least in Nov, I'll be 70 and permanently exempted. When younger, I wanted to be on a jury, but neither side wants trained investigators or analysts seeing through their baloney.

Taking Mom out to dinner, so time to get changed. Later, y'all.

Stephany

Brier, WA (just north of Seattle)

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/22 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How exciting that your books are getting discovered! Congrats!

Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 grown kids, a ball-obsessed beagle, and a camping cat
2004 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/22 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about the fawns failing. Those rolling walkers are great. When Herself needed a walker post-surgery she picked out one that she called her 4 wheel drive. She could take it anywhere and loved it.

So what are your book titles? I'm wanting some fresh reading materials.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Books in which I have stories: Ghosts of Malta and Check It Out: Tales of Canyon Lake. Both available on Amazon in hard copy or e-book.

Spousal Unit's books:

Kelly Blake series: Scout Force, First Command, Where the Stars are Few and Far Between, All Enemies Foreign and Domestic (e-book only)
Galactic Republic: Like Seed Cast on Fertile Ground (hard copy and e-book)
Thriller: We The People (e-book only)
He also has a couple stories in Check It Out: Tales of Canyon Lake
I'm editing a bunch more -- he's been quite prolific of late.

Soon as the next anthology comes out, I'll post that one. We both wrote stories for a library ghost anthology to benefit a small-town library, and submissions turned it into two volumes. Should be out fairly soon, as I helped edit the stories and they're being assembled now. I'm writing another story as a follow-on to the one in Ghosts of Malta, and the lady who collaborated with me then will do it again (that one book has turned into three or four, much to editor Law Dog's surprise). Submitted several stories to a hunting anthology that should be out before September. Writing one for a "cowboys in space" and one based on a pinup drawing -- no idea when they'll be out). Yep, writing short stories is enormous fun.

Lost fawn number 2 a couple weeks ago. Leoghaire's granddaughter seems to be lonely now. She comes by and chuffles at me at least once a day. I'm not seeing many does around here at all, which is most concerning. A young spike strolled up on the deck and got a big drink from the swimming pool; otherwise, we're just not seeing deer.

Shouldn't be surprised; the open area on the west side of our property is filling up with really ugly houses, further lessening the deer feeding grounds, and then the city folk insist on feeding absolutely the wrong stuff to the deer, so that they're not getting the nutrition they need at the various times of year. Our natural meadow is simply not enough for them, now that the houses and inappropriate garden/yard vegetation has taken over all around us. But I can't really interfere with nature; only mourn their eventual loss. Sigh.

Czarny is back to not going outside unless he can walk plastered against my leg, thanks to those darn snoopy birds. Unfortunately, I tripped on a curb and landed hard on my left knee. Nothing broken, but the tissue damage/bruising was the worst I've ever had, so going for a walk with my cat hasn't been in the cards. The bruising has been truly spectacular.

In fact, if things don't improve vastly by Tuesday, I'll have to cancel my university alumni band attendance. I really want to go, but as a percussionist, I'd be standing all the time and my leg gets real upset about that.

My community band has a performance this evening. I'll likely know after that performance if my leg can tolerate an 11-hour drive, standing around at various gatherings, and a band rehearsal and performance.

Meanwhile, there's a cat desperate to come inside and a hummingbird with an opinion on the state of the feeder. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the titles. I'll keep an eye out for them. Here's a thought: create an article for the local newspapers on the proper care and feeding of deer. Share the best nutrition tips etc. Maybe do a quick PSA for your county's FB page.

Sounds like Czarny needs his own stroller so he doesn't trip his mom while on walkabout.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, when it rains...

Been dealing with Mom, Spousal Unit and Sister health issues. My leg is almost completely back to normal; just the occasional twinge to remind me it wasn't happy. Good thing, too, since I am pretty much living in my pickup, driving folks from one medical appointment to another.

Poor Czarny has to go walkies with me on the rare times I'm home long enough. He gets desperate enough to even ask Spousal Unit to go out with him. I keep reminding him the barn swallows will only be here another 6 weeks, and then it will be completely safe for him to go outside by himself.

Three baby barn swallows fledged a few days ago, and it's been quite lively around here since, much to Czarny's disgust. Eight hummingbirds appeared around the feeder, leading me to believe this drought has really cost them nectar plants. We did get a bit over an inch of rain Monday, but that's not enough to put a dent in the drought and definitely not enough to quickly bring back the nectar plants. I'll keep refreshing the feeder a couple times a day for them.

We've not seen Leoghaire's granddaughter in a couple weeks, although we have seen a nice looking buck in the meadow down by the gate. I'm hoping she's just moved to where there's something more to eat. Papa Fox comes for a drink at the water trough every evening. We know it's him because Mama Fox is not so scroungy looking... Haven't heard the kits, though, and we usually hear them about now -- 'course, they could be calling each other while we're hiding inside, in the air conditioning...

Speaking of, the blower motor (Spousal Unit calls it the squirrel cage) decided to seize up. Luckily, it was under warranty, so that fix was smooth. Have to get my truck in for service, then his Jeep, and those won't be cheap. Sigh.

Time to get the egg salad made. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 191  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.