Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 190  
Prev  |  Next
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We say that if it wasn't for bad luck we wouldn't have any. Sorry to hear about aggravations.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/22 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hot. Danged hot. Bake a cake inside your car hot. Phew.

Czarny will only go outside for a few minutes early in the morning and after sundown. Even then, he wants to be up against my leg. He spends most of his time sleeping nowadays (how very cat of him).

Spousal Unit will have a prostate biopsy soon, and then we'll see what happens next. He's not doing all that well still, although the antibiotic is helping with the yeast infection. My leg finally healed up, so I'm just fine.

Spousal Unit and I both signed contracts for the library ghosts anthology. I also edited the book. It should be published fairly soon. We also received acceptances for a hunting/trapping/fishing anthology, to be published in early September. We're both working on stories for a "cowboys in space" anthology, no suspense date assigned yet, and I'm working on a second Malta story, a continuation of the first story. We're definitely busy on the writing front.

Air conditioner was fixed under warranty and we're quite comfortable. Solar panels are putting out some serious kWh, which is very important during this heat. My truck's catalytic converter is dying; a new one's been ordered and I just have to ignore the "check engine" light. We still have to deal with a leak in the pool pump housing (ordered a replacement), and the jack stand issue with the RV, which prevents us from getting it inspected and re-registered. Good thing we have no plans to take it somewhere anytime soon. Sigh.

We don't have any does in sight, but four bucks have taken to hanging out in our meadow. A roadrunner likes to run around our deck and stare into the windows. Yesterday, a squirrel decided to hang out on the deck. We kept a close eye on it, since they like to chew on propane hoses and we keep the propane griddle on that deck. The egg and smoker are not propane-fueled.

Generally, life's not too shabby around here. Hope y'all are doing well out there in RV.net Land. Later...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/22 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Czarny spent about 20 minutes outside with me early this morning, while I refilled the stock tank and tiny critters water pan. He insisted on wallowing all over what turned out to be an anthill. To keep him from bringing them into the house, I put rocks on all the wallow sites. Finally dissuaded him, and didn't bother the ants at all. Czarny's napping in one of his favorite indoor spots now.

Today will "only" be 100 for a high, but the humidity is making it feel like 104 already. No sitting on the deck to enjoy the non-existent breeze. Guess we'll just stay inside and write more short stories.

Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/22 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's miserably hot for us too. We're staying inside and letting the grass grow a little taller than usual so the roots are protected. We had another great family reunion. 3 new family members were added to our clan this year and they all arrived safely.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/22 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our "yard" was thick with wildflowers this year, so we left them alone to seed out. Well, that and the lawn mower is broken and Spousal Unit's in no shape to work on it or to get it into the trailer to haul in for repair. I don't mind the tall stuff; keeps itself alive in this drought. Besides, living in the country means we are not concerned with appearances...

Two does were at the gate as I returned from the library, but they didn't come up to the house. Had they done so, I'd have fed them some rolled oats that Nephew One left with us and we can't eat that much. He dropped off all sorts of stuff as he moved out of his rental in preparation for deployment.

Czarny only went outside once today. It was nasty and he decided air conditioning was much preferable.

Oh, I see hummers on the deck. Must need more nectar. Later, y'all.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/22 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel for you all that are dealing with heat and drought. We usually get a few 100-degree days every summer and had a few upper 90s in May and June. Right now, it's beautiful and comfortable, we made it to low 80s yesterday and finally got some rain last week.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (16-year-old Terrier of some sort)
Winnie 4 1/2 year old golden
Sasha and many others at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/22 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gah! Humidity has shown up! We're normally in the 30% and lower range of humidity, but now we're at 43%. Means that 95 feels like 103, and the high of 101 will feel like 110. At least that's down from 59% this morning. The only upside to this so far is my nose isn't bleeding from the lack of humidity...

Czarny managed about fifteen minutes outside this morning, before he decided the air conditioning is a much better deal. He'll sleep until about 4:00, whine once I've left to work at the library, and maybe consent to allowing Spousal Unit to let him go outside just before sundown. Maybe.

The buck herd gathered around our water trough yesterday. They all look surprisingly healthy, considering how little new growth there is in this heat and lack of rain.

Down on the lake, boat ramps are closing as the water level goes down. Good thing we don't have a boat; the lines at the other ramps must be hellacious, judging from the local web comments.

Spousal Unit got a basil cell carcinoma removed from just under his left ear. First one for him. Really, I'm amazed we don't have more skin cancers, the way we lived outside thanks to Army life, and now we live in shorts and tee shirts pretty much year round thanks to retired life.

But it does seem to have triggered him to finally wear his Tilley hat all the time outside now. Me, I grew up in the Texas Panhandle, where we learned to wear wide brim hats all the time. Never go anywhere without a wide brim hat, sunglasses, and sun screen. Weighs so much less than a helmet, too....

Time for a bit of lunch -- low carb ice cream sounds good. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/22 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's pretty humid here. It makes it hard to handle. We're still hunkered down in the house.

Maybe it's time for a Trek Party ...
[image]

* This post was edited 07/20/22 03:41pm by magnusfide *

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spousal Unit has lost 16 pounds over the last month, yet hasn't changed his diet at all. The prostate biopsy is 1 August, and I am very concerned that it will not be good news at all. He has 15 teeny tiny stitches behind his ear from the skin cancer removal, and it's looking really good. He'll get those stitches out a couple days after the biopsy procedure. I'm not at the losing sleep stage yet, at least.

This morning, he saw Daddy Fox travel between the house and garage with something in his mouth. Fox stopped and stared at SU for a bit, then went on back to the den. About 15 minutes later, Czarny wanted outside. Within just a few minutes, he shot back to the door, all fuzzed up. I couldn't see what he saw, but if it fuzzed him up, he didn't need to be outside with it. He's zonked on his cat tower now.

We've gotten so much sneakier about giving him his flea/tick/mosquito/heartworm treatments. I get the ampule ready and sitting concealed on the table next to my chair. When he decides its lap time, I fuss over him for a while, then quickly apply it. He runs off, but about 30 minutes later, all is forgiven. Since it only happens once a month, he doesn't equate lap time with medicine time. He does equate medicine time with more treats, though, and woe be it if we forget...

He's become such a nag of late. When he thinks it's bedtime, then we should be going to bed, so he'll talk to us until we finally do go. It's kinda funny and kinda annoying at the same time, but he's so cute about it.

We're in a cold front!!! High today will only be 96, and we'll stay below 100 until next Wednesday and Thursday, then back below 100. Not a drop of rain in the forecast, though, so why it insists on being humid is beyond me... We're in stage 2 water restrictions: every other week, unless hand watering. We're letting everything go until late September, when the temps go back down, and then we'll plant a winter vegetable garden. Hopefully. This drought still isn't as bad as 2011 or 2008 -- just annoying.

At least our solar panels are producing so much more than we use during the day that we're sending a serious pile of electricity back to the co-op, and dropping our co-op costs to pretty much just the monthly fees, taxes, etc. Co-op has had several power outages due to the heat blowing up transformers, but we were unaware of it. Either we were 100% solar at the time, or the batteries took over without so much as a blip in the house. We found out later, when the local web talked about it. Cool.

Time to haul the recycles. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/22 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad that solar works well for you. I wondered how you were doing in that heat. I agree with Czarny. Stay indoors and away from predators. Our cats didn't like the flea tx either but we did the treats trick and they didn't even flinch. Temptations remove all doubt.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 190  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.