Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 134  
Prev  |  Next
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/18 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy Mom's day and hoping your medicals are showing good health. Tell them to check you for food allergies too. My wife has allergies to soy (that's in everything) and to all legumes. It causes a great deal of pain if she ingests any accidentally.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Let's keep rolling!
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/18 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Endoscopy results showed a small hiatal hernia and possibly acid reflux that just hasn't gotten up far enough into the esophagus that I'd notice it. On medication for several weeks to sort that out. Also got an interim diet plan that demands I not eat:

Chocolate - okay, but I will miss hot cocoa on a cool day/evening during this trip.
Peppermint - okay.
Alcohol - rats, there goes the wine.
Tomatoes - not happening. I'll cut back, but not eliminate.
Hot peppers - also not happening. Grew up on them; if they aren't in my diet, I get sicker than having the AR.
Fatty foods - weelll, ooookaaay...
Coffee - never touch the stuff.
Caffeine - okay
Citrus fruits and juices - I like apples better, anyway.
Carbonated beverages - okay.

Then I'm supposed to eat small meals 4-6 times a day. Driving down the road? Don't think so.
Do not eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime. Already do that.

Things are going okay so far.

Meanwhile, we're packing. Tall and Short Friend should get their FW back today. If not, we'll slow down the packing. Last things to go onboard will be the refrigerator stuff, anyway.

Spotacus is very much enamored with the Forza's bed. I'm sure he's gonna be a serious bed hog. Sigh.

Lunch is served. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Spotacus--Christmas cat

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds as though Spotacus has claimed his spot. Ahem.

An old friend of mine who had gastric surgery had to do the 6 small meals a day thing. It was tough because he likes his plate filled. His wife started making half-sandwiches for him and that helped a great deal. He loves peanut butter and jelly; tuna fish; and so on. She liked her salads. Problem solved. He could even have a small muffuletta sandwich as long as it didn't have too many of the hard salamis and pepperonis on it.

Stephany

Brier, WA (just north of Seattle)

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/18 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Instead of hot chocolate, try an Almond Moo. To a cup of hot milk add a splash of almond extract and sweeten to taste.

Very yummy!

Stephany

Stephany & Wally Schneider + 2 almost grown kids, a bouncing baby beagle and a camping cat
2003 Sunnybrook 2850SL
2002 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab short bed

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/18 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stephany, I'll just heat up my almond milk...

Our license plates arrived today. Now we're just waiting on Tall and Short Friends' FW to be ready. So today, instead of packing more stuff, we took it easy. I did a fair amount of napping in my recliner, then we watched the Preakness.

Humidity was up, so Spotacus' skin wasn't so crawly. Poor guy. I'm taking a small crock of bacon grease on the trip, to incorporate into his diet. He's eating Precise pork kibbles, so adding more pork flavor should not cause him to refuse it. We'll melt a teaspoon and pour it over each day's ration.

Although it's not his favorite, we learned to only give him distilled water, especially when on the move. The slightest change in his water and he gets sick, so distilled it is.

It's very warm in here. Have to go turn on the ceiling fan. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/18 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tall and Short Friends are having homeowner fun, and also haven't got their FW back (supposed to be tomorrow morning). Then I couldn't get Spotacus in for his exam and state health certificate until Saturday, so we'll leave Monday and avoid the Memorial Day weekend campground jams.

According to my backward planning, the delay still gives us a full three weeks in "Scotland," with three weeks travel up and three back. That's fine.

WLToo went out and opened the awnings on Obi-wan (he decided on that name), as the west side was really heating up. Yesterday, while we were re-organizing the pantry for the third time, I realized the bedroom was 84 degrees to 79 up front, so I turned on the rear A/C. WLToo thought it was already on and was worried about its efficiency...

Then he got overly efficient and loaded all the refrigerator stuff last night, except the eggs. This morning, I sent him out there to bring in the rest of breakfast. At least running back and forth is good exercise.

Spotacus is spending most of the day in bed, as it's gotten quite hot and humid. He goes outside about now and stays until we pull him in for bedtime. If he reacts the way he did in L'Andante, he won't miss going outside after just a couple times in harness and leash -- particularly if he happens to see another buffalo... He lost all interest in being outside from then until we got home. Heh.

Speaking of whom, Spotacus wants to go back out after his snack. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/18 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Departure is imminent! Here's best wishes for a wonderful trouble free trip. Try to post from the road when you can.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five days into the trip. Spotacus is doing well in general. Two days ago, he got sick after a really rough road in high winds. Perked up after tossing an entire day's food. Today, another rough road caused some loud bangs, which scared him so bad he ran to me for comfort. Had to hold him for quite a while as we rolled down the road. Took him a good while to calm down after we arrived in the campground -- high winds from a storm front moving through has him still agitated. I do believe he'll sleep like a log tonight.

First day went fine. Second day, Tall and Short Friend's FW suffered a blowout. Took several hours, but they finally arrived at the campground with all new tires and some damage to the wheel well side panel. Luckily, it's only appearance. Third day was high winds and slow speeds for me and Short Friend, while the guys sped on up the road. Fourth day, WLToo decided to drive, which was exciting as he oh-so-slowly got used to driving Obi-wander (he changed Obi's name a bit). High stress for me, too. Then it rained buckets at the campground, which was a mile down a gravel-covered dirt road. We got out okay, though. Today, more winds, but not near as bad as last two days. We're in Manitoba. Tomorrow, Regina, Saskatchewan, where we'll rest a day, then keep going.

Alaska cousin called with recommendations and suggestions. My big goal is to just get there, everything after that is gravy. Not sure how often we'll have internet -- signal away from significant towns is spotty to non-existent. I have to wonder how useful the GPS will be once we're fully committed to the Alcan Highway.

Spotacus is awake and needing people time. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like fun! Seriously! [emoticon]

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in Battleford, Saskatchewan for the night, then Stoney Plain, Alberta tomorrow. When we left Regina, Spotacus ran to me in the passenger seat. Wound up holding him for nearly 60 kilometers before he decided it was safe to sleep in his carrier.

Spotacus really, really wanted outside, once we arrived at this campground. He consented to us putting on the harness, then hesitated when we opened the door. He oozed outside, one small step at a time. He laid on the bottom step, oozing one leg down until it touched ground, then jerked it back up. I finally carried him over to my lawn chair and sat him on the table between our chairs. He sat there for a good long while, sniffing the roast pork WLToo was grilling and occasionally making it clear that he'd like a piece. He finally decided to go back inside, where he got kitty treats, then shared a few bites of roast pork.

After dinner, Short Friend asked him if he'd like to go outside again, and he let her put the harness on by herself!!! She carried him over to the picnic table, where he sat and stared at birds, squirrels and whatever else he saw. Then the mosquitoes came, and he decided to come back inside. He's been pretty content since.

It's lovely and cool, and still quite light at 2130, but I'm tuckered out. Time to hit the hay. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 134  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS