Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 130  
Prev  |  Next
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad you found Spot-man before you closed the slide![emoticon]

Nice photo. I'm sorry the weather hasn't been optimal.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/18 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spotacus has given us a few scares, but he's settling down nicely. Meanwhile, we've added a few more items to the checklist. At the moment, he's sitting in the step well, looking out the screen door, showing no interest in actually going out. When he does show interest, we get out the harness, and he immediately runs to the bedroom. We'll still watch him closely.

I stumbled over something this afternoon. As we set up here at the Rivers Edge RV Park & Campground, on the Chena River in Fairbanks, I was mentally bemoaning the lack of storage space for the sink covers. Then I thought, "Just stick 'em under the sink. There's room." So I looked underneath for a good spot and what did I see? A plastic band that's obviously meant to hold the sink covers in place... [emoticon]

So now the counter has room for the toaster...

Tall Friend decided that he's too old to be sitting in a van for nearly 18 hours, so their planned trip to ride up to the Arctic Circle, take a couple photos, and ride back isn't going to happen. Yesterday's 13-hour trip to the end of Denali Park Road and back in an old school bus convinced him.

A van ride was not on my list of things to do. I want to see the Pioneer Museum, Museum of the North, take a 3-hour trip on a paddlewheel riverboat (hope it's not named Minnow), and maybe take the gold mine tour. Nice little jaunts that don't involve the entire day and part of the night. I don't like leaving Spotacus alone for that long. He's been very good alone, but still...

Off for a walk down to the river. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Spotacus--Christmas cat

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like a fantastic trip! Am glad that His High Royal Cat-ness is settling a bit.

dhansen871

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/18 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While in Anchorage you need to go see Mary Shield, she was the first women to enter and finish the Iditarod in 1974. She gives tours of her lovey home with a grass roof and U get to mingle with her dogs. She not available every day so U need to look her up and get an appointment to see her. We really enjoyed the visit. She on face book also.

Dave & DW Jodi
Max the Cat (RIP)
SoCal Mountains and Las Vegas

2007 Country Coach 430 Allure
2012 Jeep GC Overland

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/18 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've already been to the Kenai Peninsula and Anchorage, then up to Denali. We're in Fairbanks, and will head back out on the Alaskan Highway in a few days.

Spotacus' creepy crawly skin is acting up again. When we get home, I'll have to tell the vet that the Zyrtec is not taking care of the problem. Poor guy. At least it's raining right now, which raises the humidity and gives him some relief.

So the Museum of the North was today's big visit, then we went downtown to a particular bistro. As we walked to it, next door was a distillery. We went there first. Their potato vodka was exquisite. Then we learned there are two more distilleries in Fairbanks, so that's on our visit list, if possible.

Tomorrow, we're doing the Gold Sledge Tour. If I find any gold, I won't be telling...

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about a dash of light olive oil or edible mineral oil on Spotacus' food to help with his skin issues? Sometimes that works. Even sardines or tuna in oil is good.

I'm seeing distilleries pop up in a number of places we visit now. They certainly are interesting!

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're back in Tok. On Thursday, we'll head back into Canada and no internet. If all goes well, we'll take 10 days to transit Canada, then into Montana. At that point, Tall and Short Friend are thinking about splitting off and visiting some areas they've not been to (we have). Since we have appointments in early August, we'll just trundle on home, where the heat has caused our water service to invoke stage 2 restrictions. Earlier this year, it put us on stage 1, for the second time since we've lived there. Stage 2 is a first ever -- this could put a dent in swimming pool usage when we get home... Sigh.

Spotacus got a little nutty just as we began setting up in this campground. Whatever he saw outside was agitating him so badly that we turned on the air conditioner and closed the door so he can't see it. Seems whatever it is, he doesn't notice it from anywhere except through the screen door. He calmed down and now is ready for some dedicated people attention.

Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe he "scent"sed something. Cats have keen noses. Bear? Lynx? Cougar? A possible "girlfriend"?

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/18 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it was more likely a rabbit, magnus. Larger critters aren't known to be frequenting that campground. But a rabbit sat right next to the rig while we were eating supper, and didn't leave until Tall Friend opened the door.

We attended the Tok, Alaska Independence Day parade. Pretty nice one, although it didn't have the flyover courtesy of the Commemorative Air Force that our own local parade has. Then three of us came back to the campground and crashed. Short Friend went back to the fairgrounds to see what other festivities were taking place. Don't think there will be much in the way of fireworks...won't be able to see them until about 0200, if then.

Back into Canada tomorrow. Not sure when we'll have internet again. It's been such a long trip that I don't recall when we had internet along the Alcan Highway.

Spotacus is zooming again. Playtime. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/18 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stayed at Takhini Hot Springs Campground and Hostel, where we sat in the hot springs until we were jello. Slept like a stone that night and last night, even though we were in a campground in the middle of Watson Lake. Didn't hear a thing.

Now we're at Toad River Lodgings, BC, where we are backed up to a large pond that the beavers created. A mother moose and calf were enjoying the pond earlier, followed by trumpeter swans. Tall and Short Friend joined us for bacon-wrapped pork loin, beans, and corn, followed by ice cream.

Spotacus got lots of treats. He spent most of this evening staring out the windshield or the screen door, glaring at all the dogs walking by. He finally gave up and went to bed. He showed too much interest in going outside earlier, so we played with him until he was exhausted. Poor guy's only got another week and a half to go, then he can stay outside as long as it's light.

Next big challenge is getting past Calgary and still finding someplace to stay for one night, as we'll be passing through while the Stampede is still in full swing. We'll have a couple days in Grande Prairie, Alberta, where I'll research campgrounds within reasonable driving ranges, while Tall Friend gets his oil changed and WLToo finds us some more DEF. We have a very large DEF reservoir, but I don't like running with it only half full.

The sun is still peeking out from the clouds, so I'm going for a walk along the pond edge. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 130  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus the Christmas Cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS