Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 153  
Prev  |  Next
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rudy and Czarny went outside for the first time today. They carefully slunk out the door, spending a lot of time on the threshold while sniffing the mat. I've never had cats who sniff everything as much as they do. Then, shaking from head to toe, they carefully moved past the threshold to the mat. Over the next 15 minutes or so, each one explored a little farther on the north porch, dashing back into the house with every new sound. Then an airplane flew overhead and both were back in the house. I broke our tradition at that point, giving them treats and praising them for coming inside.

When WLToo got home from therapy, we all went outside again. Okay, the humans and Czarny went outside. Rudy was more than happy to just watch from inside the doorway. After a while, though, he worked up enough nerve to explore the entire porch, eventually joining his brother inside the rosemary shrub at one end. I have no idea what was so fascinating about that particular stalk of rosemary, but they both sat and sniffed one stalk over and over. Then Czarny actually walked through the grass and partly down the hill toward the garden, before dashing back to the porch. Rudy did not step off the porch, other than to sit in the rosemary. And when two aircraft flew above, that was it for the evening.

Rudy had a very long nap on my leg, and now is stalking Czarny up and down the cat tree. I honestly thought Rudy would not go outside at all, but as long as I was in sight, he was willing to look around some. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, we might try letting them onto the south porch -- where the barn swallows will likely express their disdain.

Still a long way from taking them to the RV - which is at the dealer for a recall fix, anyway. That thing has been at the dealer for service longer than it's been in our actual possession. I'm really missing L'Andante now...

Time to get out the red dot. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, kitten brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brave New World.
Feline-wise that is.[emoticon]

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The boys' next foray outside was interesting. Czarny was happy to just romp right out, although he didn't leave the porch for a good long while. Rudy preferred to sit in the door and watch his brother. He finally worked up enough nerve to venture out to the rosemary bush, and later chased Czarny around the grassy area beside the pool. Czarny went down to the garden, then rushed back, while Rudy watched. We shooed them back inside at sunset, and they were happy to take a long nap.

Now Czarny stalks the door I go out, hoping to rush out when I open it. So I come back in through another door -- it's difficult to mess with a cat's mind, but this is accomplishing it nicely.

Yesterday, we accompanied Sister as she viewed a couple of potential homes. She's desperate to move to the lake, away from the big city property taxes and house insurance that's costing more than the principal and interest payment. Unfortunately, she's in that price range that isn't being built here in the square footage she needs, so when such a property comes on the market, it's either a "unique fixer upper" or it's under contract within a few days of going on the market. Most sellers out here are not interested in waiting for her to sell her own house, so now she's looking at a short term rental as soon as her house sells. Lots of short term rentals out here, luckily. Downside is we'll have to help her move twice, and we're older than her. Sigh.

I see the hummingbirds need nectar. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transitions in moving ain't fun.
The boys are getting braver.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been raining the last few days, so the boys are spending most of their time sleeping or staring out the windows at the birds. Czarny is still interested in going out, but we're not interested in drying off a wet cat, so inside he's staying.

A big blow Thursday afternoon knocked over the deer feeder. Completely destroyed it. So I'm going to buy a big dog dish and will feed Leoghaire on the porch once again. At least one deer should come up to visit that way.

The hummingbirds are really going through nectar. We've counted four birds who come up regularly. So we're researching hummingbird plants that the deer won't eat, in hopes of giving them more options. I do love watching them up close, though.

We helped Sister start packing up her garage. We now have a trailer full of stuff to put into her new storage unit here at the lake, as soon as the weather lets up. Then back for another load. I found a pendant lamp at the local thrift store to use above her kitchen table, as she does the little updates before putting her house on the market. It needed a new wire and chain, and the trim was a bit worn. WLToo found the excess wire and chain from our kitchen lights replacement project, and I bought spray paint in the right color to update the trim. Now she has a beautiful new light for less than $10. She found a brand new exterior light at her thrift store, and is looking for a couple of hall ceiling lights.

She's "hired" me as her stager, and was shocked when I told her how much of her walk-in closet she'll have to clean out before calling in a realtor. Heh. Just wait until she learns how to live in a staged house, especially with messy son still living there. If she can focus his ADHD into cleaning, the house will stay pristine, which is the key to a successful showing. Even a dated house will sell over a new one, if the dated house is perfectly clean and staged properly.

Time to pick up and dust. We're hosting a big Mother's Day gathering tomorrow. WLToo is smoking a brisket right now, and made the mashed taters. I need to set up the buffet line. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Feeding the deer on the porch will really entertain your furry boys.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rudy surprised me today. I let them out first thing this morning, while it was fairly cool. After a short while, I didn't see Rudy in any of his usual north porch locations. Czarny joined me on the pool deck, where we saw Rudy down below, strolling along by the pool wall, under the juniper tree. Czarny later explored the area, but Rudy got there first. When they voluntarily went back inside, we made them stay inside all day (it was too humid to stay out there with them).

But now they are dashing for the door, wanting out. Sigh. How very cat of them.

We got Obi-Wander back. Now we'll see if the warranty repairs took or not. We're planning a trip as soon as possible.

Nephew 2 came up yesterday to help us offload the trailer into Sister's storage unit. We're going down Friday for load number 2. I'll shock Nephew 2 when I tell him how he has to stage his bedroom and closet. Can't leave the place crammed full -- potential buyers want to see the square footage, not someone else's stuff.

Sister knows now that she'll have to sell before she can buy up here, so she's looking at a short term rental, or buying a trailer and living in one of our RV hookups until she finds/builds something. I thought today that she might also consider house sitting, since she works from home. That would be far cheaper than buying a trailer or renting, although she would be without her own furniture. I guess Simper Gumby (Always flexible) will have to be her motto....

Now that Sister is working on making her big move, Mom is thinking about moving closer to us. Problem is there are only two independent living places near us. One is ridiculously expensive, and the other one doesn't advertise its rates, so I'm highly suspicious about it, too. There are several retirement complexes, but she's have to cook for herself, and she's not sure she wants to bother, now that she's had a couple years of not ever having to cook. We'll see what happens as Sister's situation changes.

Although we've not seen them, the does are sleeping behind the garage, if the fresh deer poop there is any indication. That means we should see a fawn within the next two weeks.

That margarita hit me. Sleepy time. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes how very "cat of them" [emoticon]
Semper Gumby: I like that.
Where are you going on your trip?

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't settled on a trip location just yet. Still busy helping Sister move stuff into her storage unit.

I've been letting the boys out first thing in the morning. Today, we went out the south door. Not gonna do that again... Both cats made a beeline for the fence, went through it and headed up the hill. I called and got Czarny to come back, but Rudy was determined to stay over there and sniff out everything. Czarny and I strolled over to Obi-Wander, then something spooked Czarny and he dashed back toward the spot where he'd gone through the fence and back. Rudy saw him and decided to launch a flank assault. However, there was a fence in the way. He bounced off it, panicked, ran back to where he had gone through the fence, sailed through it and hightailed it into the house. Czarny saw his brother in a frenzy, panicked and followed. I followed and shut the door. We'll be going out the north door now. They like it under the pool, where it's like a cave, and haven't yet figured out the south side is accessible from the north side.

Meanwhile, in the house, Czarny has been knocking over our straw laundry basket. Last night, I found out why. He lifts the lid and naps on the clothes. Found himself another cave. So before I pick it back up, I check for sleeping kitty.

It's all nasty humid, with an enormous amount of water in the air and obscuring the view, but it's not raining. After the Preakness, I'm heading for the swimming pool.

Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like teenage hijinks with the Dynamic Duo. Hopefully there's no snakes under the pool. Did you get any of that storm activity? Central US was hit hard.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 153  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS