Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 185  
Prev
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a shame about the poaching. Truly. You're good people to help your friends that way.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like autumn will finally show up later this week. Depending on the humidity level, we should be able to turn off the air conditioner after Wednesday, and likely leave it off until next March. Looks like we won't need to turn on the heater until mid-December, sooo back to normal.

Tall and Short Friends are home, and most relieved to be back. Don't think they'll be moving back to Maine next summer -- turned out to be far more work than Short Friend could handle. I expect they'll sell the place up there soon.

The solar panels and battery backup have been installed. Now we wait on the electric cooperative to inspect it, then turn it on. We're not overly concerned about selling excess to the co-op; we just wanted to ensure we have power when they don't, so we don't lose our food or my medications. Hopefully, the co-op will turn on the system soon, and we'll be ready for whatever weather gets thrown at us from now on.

Spousal Unit says dinner's ready. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Harley, blacker cat

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope they get themselves out to turn it on soon for you. Personally I feel every home should have backup power but I know that won't happen. At least some are installing generators and solar panels.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/21 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a dual fuel generator we could fire up in an emergency with one of our propane tanks, and use it to keep one refrigerator and a freezer going.

Our electric co-op came out yesterday to inspect the outside installation. Approved it, so now we just need to find out who actually throws the switch.

Meanwhile, autumn arrived. We're in the 40s/50s and rainy, which is playing havoc with our plan to keep Harley and Czarny separated. Czarny is not a fan of being outside when it's chilly. So we're ordering a barn door to separate the spare bedrooms and hall bath from the great room. Harley will have running room and still not have to deal with Czarny.

Truthfully, though, she's the more aggressive cat now. When she sees him outside a door, she attacks the door. Silent, no poofed up fur, but whaps that door thoroughly, while Czarny sits on the other side. We just might let them encounter each other in the great room, with all side rooms closed off, and see what happens. Most difficult cat intro we've ever had to deal with.

Bedtime. Another medical appointment tomorrow; this time, it's ours. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the Czarny and Harley comedy hour. This is going to be interesting!

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, it wasn't comedy hour. Turned into a knockdown cat fight of titanic proportions; fortunately, neither cat was harmed other than a lot of hair tufts pulled out. It's pretty clear now that these two will never get along.

As much as we hate the idea, we believe the best thing to do is find Harley a quiet home where she can be an only pet who won't have to share her person/people. I really hate having to find a home for an adult cat; in fact, I've only done it twice in my life. But her safety and mental health is more important than my feelings. We're now working up the gumption to look for a proper home for her. Sigh.

It's hunting (poaching) season around here. Most of our deer in the immediate area have taken cover. Haven't seen Leoghaire in a long time; her last fawn and its fawn were up to the south porch last week. They both look very healthy.

I believe all the hummingbirds have flown through. Haven't seen one at the feeder in over a week. Guess it's finally time to store it until March.

Yesterday, our solar array went active. Finally. It's already sending excess power back to the co-op. Batteries are fully charged. Looking forward to not even noticing when there's a power failure.

I see a cat waiting to take me for a walk. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear that the dynamic duo aren't dynamic with each other. We had a pair of cats that started out like that but eventually they found a compromise. Eventually. Took awhile. Thought we would have to rehome one of them too. It worked itself out. Eventually.

In the evening we'd be in the recliners. One cat would lay on my legs and the other on Herself's legs. As long as each thought they had a personal hooman they were fine.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had kith and kin here for Thanksgiving. Harley would come out of her bedroom, look at us, and with a "Nope, not going there" look on her face would stroll back to her bedroom. Too many people, too much noise for her taste. We finally just let her be in her room, and opened the other bedroom door so Czarny could socialize. He decided he'd rather crawl under the bed covers and sleep.

Harley's bounding around the house today, making up for the exercise she didn't get yesterday. Czarny's going in and out as usual.

I'm trying to get Sister's Christmas present finished, and then we'll be totally done with Christmas shopping. She wants potholders in certain colors, which naturally are not the fashion. So I'm crocheting potholders in those colors for her. Had to learn a new stitch, since all I'd ever crocheted were granny squares. They may be a little wonky looking, but they'll get the job done.

We won't do anything about finding a better home for Harley until after the holidays. She'll need a quiet home to get used to before she has to deal with company, like she did here. We had so hoped that each of us would have a lap cat, but they can't even be in the same room without a fight, and it's not fair to either cat. Sigh.

Well, back to crocheting. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 185  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.